PDA

View Full Version : Mega Queenfish!

Rev
04-05-2003, 05:18 PM
This story is continued from a post in the Freshwater Fishing Photos, Damn those Big Barra (http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=Freshwater_Pics;action=display;num= 1051968203;start=0)

Mugga, who managed not to come into contact with one X.O.S. Barramundi surely made up for it, once we got out onto the Goldie Reef just a kilometre or so offshore.

We were pulling in a few Goldies, when we started to hook a few Queenfish and then all of a sudden all hell broke loose and Mugga was runnning from one side or the boat to the other and then this thing came to the surface.

"Geez" it's a good Queenfish we thought and our guide called it for over 5 kilos. Then we saw it again and thought, 'hey, this could go ten kilos'.

Finally into the net and weighed, 'Crikey, this thing is way over 30lb".

Rev
04-05-2003, 05:35 PM
Mugga usually gets Seasick quite easily, but that was soon forgotten.

This Queenfish was over 30lb, damn close to record of some sort, I was sure.

But we were using Fireline and we weren't in a Game Fishing Club, so we thought 'there is no chance' and decided to release the Mega Queenfish.

This fish had given its all during the fight, with spectacular leaps and runs. So, on returning it to the water to revive it, it very soon became obvious, it wasn't going to survive.

So back into the boat for a re-weigh.

This is our guide Braden weighing the Queenfish and realising the 30lb Boga grips just went all the way to the bottom of the scale and then stopped.

We need something else to weigh it with!

Rev
04-05-2003, 05:47 PM
What were we gonna do?

Luckily I had a set of 30lb Bogas too.

So using the two sets of Bogas, we had the Queenfish weighed in at just over 34lb. #:o

As the fish had no chance or surviving and we couldn't claim any records with it, we were gonna have to consume it as Nummus the next night! #:P

It wasn't until we returned to civilisation, a few days later and we had spoken with someone in the know, that we became aware of what we had done.

We had eaten what could've been a Potential All Tackle World Record Queenfish.

Oops! #:-[

None of us cared though, I guess that's the way it is when fishing for fun and not for trophies.

Mugga with what could've been a Potential All Tackle World Record Queenfish.

Dr_Dan
04-05-2003, 05:55 PM
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

34lbs!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeh, not a bad queeny in anyones books!!!! Congrats guys, pitty bout the record, but i'm sure you would have been happier to see the big girl swim away anyhow.

Cheers
Dan

Rev
09-05-2003, 03:16 PM
We would've been over the moon if we were able to let it go.

As soon as we took the photo of the fish being held we tried to release it, but all was over for it.

That is when we took the photos of the fish hanging from the Boga Grips.

Smithy
11-05-2003, 02:38 AM
ANSA Qld record is 16.0kg (35+lb) on 10kg line by R. Fordham of Keppel Bay Sportfishing Club caught at Waterpark Ck Yeppoon on the 3/2/01.

By the time it got back to official scales it would have dehydrated a bit and lost some weight so it comes up a bit short.

Nice fish all the same!

As for records, the only ones I know about are the IGFA, GFAA and ANSA records. Don't know if AAA keep records or not.

Dr_Dan
11-05-2003, 11:40 AM
you got any other mesurements? Length etc??

Cheers
Dan

Rev
22-05-2003, 07:38 PM
I've forgotten the length, we did get it but it was forgotten after we ate it.

Lots of Beer, Bourbon, Bundy and Nummus that night ensured all was forgotten! ;D ;D ::)

landy1
23-05-2003, 04:19 PM
Damn nice fish, good photos with the clouds too.
cheers
Michael

Rev
31-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Yeah Micael K,

The storms were around and following us all day and those clouds you see in the background were fully encircling the boat, it was like we were in a storm no go zone. :o

We never even had much more than a couple of drops land on us all day. :D

The last minute dash back to the Mother-Ship was interesting though, we had lightning landing on the water and the shore quite close by all the way back. We even felt the heat off a couple of bolts that landed real close by. [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif]

Then George, whilst holding to the consol, slipped and ended up with a treble embedded firmly into his palm. So we had to stop and remove it. Let me tell you it was very interesting performing a surgical procedure in a rocking boat with lightning crashing down around us. [smiley=stunned.gif]

Then the last mad dash back to the Mother-Ship and just as the last of stepped off the Barra Boat onto the Mother-Ship, the heavens opened up. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Brett_Finger
03-06-2003, 03:01 AM
Great Qunnie mate!!!
and a sweet,lightning photo!!
you boys had the trip of a lifetime i'd say...
Hookin,Brett ;D

Rev
06-06-2003, 05:05 PM
Brett, the guys sure did have a trip and a half. #;D

I've been lucky enough to see this for the last three seasons before this one!

This was one of last years fish!

This was a Salty so it was longer, leaner and faster, than the Barra in the Freshwater post I've placed!

132cm/52lb.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/uploads/Fish-34-800.jpg

Year before was another one and I'm stil tryin' to get a pic of the fish cos' I wasn't on that boat and the Barra was 139cm/63lb. #[smiley=shocked2.gif]

So guess what?

I'm going back next year, same tides and moon! #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Any takers? # [smiley=smug.gif]