PDA

View Full Version : Rat yellowfin

mackmauler
11-06-2003, 06:48 PM
This fin was captured off point lookout last summer, the red eye is from the gaff, not sure why the japs like them as sashimi so much, ive eaten better things.

Quinny69
11-06-2003, 09:04 PM
Nice fish MM,Yellowfin dont school up in the bay do they?Like Longys and Macs(Im new to the bluewater stuff). Me and Wes been keeping an eye out for ya while weve been hangin around the lower bay latley,starting to love the place,,,,, Matt Q

mackmauler
11-06-2003, 09:07 PM
Hi Quinny, in summer they are common offshore, usually get them trolling, they like the purple water, the hotter the better, never seen them in the bay but id think up bribie way if the currents were right might be a few, Wes said you blokes were there saturday, shame i missed yas, i was peltin slugs at the tuna near horseshoe(no luck).

Jack_Lives_Here
12-06-2003, 04:34 AM
Yeh, we was zooming around the area - top day Saturday - crap on Sunday.

mackmauler
12-06-2003, 05:34 AM
Dave, howd you go with those small tunas, frigates or watsons I think? lots of them but refused all my slugs, the fly seems to have an advantage on the calmer days, I rarely catch the longies on those still days with slug, unless they are on the mad feed.Rob

Jack_Lives_Here
12-06-2003, 08:30 AM
Yeh those little ones were frigates I think. Didn't get a good look at them. They refused our small offerings also. Voltzy got a nice Mack Tuna (5kg) off the edge of one of the schools. Ate the fly at a dead sit.
Those longies sure go hard on the fly. Basically catching a fish like that on a whiting rod is MADNESS ;D- I love it.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
12-06-2003, 09:17 AM
... lots of them but refused all my slugs, the fly seems to have an advantage on the calmer days, I rarely catch the longies on those still days with slug, unless they are on the mad feed.

try a small leadhead feather jig - they do the trick when slugs are licked ;)- those little furry things are the closest I come to the sorcery of fly fishing.

chris

Quinny69
12-06-2003, 09:31 AM
Not that Ive chased them wif spin gear but Id would try a jig too, Id prob go for a small silver squidge fish and do a "Do nothing retreve". Worth a try. Better still, get ya self a 12wgh flyrod and use a surf candy or Clouser.Like dave said "lots of fun". ;D

mackmauler
12-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Ill add a few feathers to my tackle bag, maybe a surf candy run on a trace from the slug would get one ;D cheers

Jack_Lives_Here
12-06-2003, 11:03 AM
I know of some slug chuckers off Bribie that tie a length of mono off the back of the slug and attach a candy. Double hook up would be interesting.