PDA

View Full Version : A Linux distribution

bungie
24-09-2005, 11:13 PM
I notice a few of you guys and gals know what you are talking about with computers so I hope somebody can help me. I'm after a recommendation as to a Linux distribution that has it all in the one setup. Linux/Unix, web browser, GUI, web server (Apache or what ever) Perl, php, self install ( Anaconda ? ). I'm using the setup to run a database in my office, with access on line from the field. Any idea's ??

jaybee
25-09-2005, 06:50 AM
Have you had a read of the Linux Website (http://www.linux.com//) also i beleive you can now buy linux discs with a very good manual at the news agent for around $20
cheers
Joe

JewseeTHAT
28-09-2005, 02:33 PM
I believe you're limited by your own technical abilities. If you have a good grasp of Unix\Linux, then Debian is a solid choice, if perhaps a little outdated compared to some of the newer releases. Although you can always update it if you wish. If you're more a part-time fiddler, then maybe Mandrake or possibly an install to HD of Knoppix or similar. Personally, after playing with many flavours of various distros, I gave them all up as too much like hard work and went back to Microblah. Much less drama getting things to work, and just as free. ;)

bungie
29-09-2005, 03:07 PM
I downloaded Debian sunday afternoon ............. love Cable, 7.5gig in just over three hrs. Now need some time to sit back and install and set it up. It needs to be linux\unix as the software I want to run on it will need to be accesses from works sites. All I need is blue screen of death to lock up the machine and stuff up a day