PDA

View Full Version : Message from DPI

dasher
21-12-2005, 09:08 AM
Anglers reminded to remove pectoral fins
News release | 19 December, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With Christmas holidays fast approaching, anglers landing coral reef fish are being reminded to cut off the pectoral fin before icing down or freezing their catch.

Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries Boating and Fisheries Patrol district manager Bob Koch said the pectoral fin regulation aims to prevent the black market trading of these fish.

"Clipping off the pectoral fin allows officers to distinguish between fish that have been caught by anglers and those caught for commercial trade.

"Most of the fish landed by recreational fishers in our off-shore and in-shore tidal waters are coral reef fish, so anglers must be aware of regulations or they could face fines which would make it an expensive fishing trip."

Mr Koch said pectoral fins were located on each side of a coral reef fish, however, only one fin needed to be removed.

Other regulations for recreational fishers in place for these species include:

Coral reef fish may be kept whole or gilled and gutted.
Coral reef fish may only be filleted at sea if the fillet is 40cm or greater (two fillets equal one fish).
If kept whole, fish must have a pectoral fin removed before being placed in cold storage.
Coral reef fish must not be possessed alive on a boat.
The skin or scales from a fish fillet must not be removed until it is brought ashore.
If the skin is removed from a fillet once ashore it must not be returned to the boat.
Chinese footballer (blue-spot) trout must be retained whole.
"These regulations are part of the Coral Reef Fin Fish management plan which was introduced two years ago to protect and conserve this fishery," Mr Koch said.

For more information about the rules and regulations visit the DPI&F Fishweb site at www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb or phone the DPI&F Call Centre on 13 25 23.

Spaniard_King
21-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Good idea Dasher [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I am a bit worried myself about forgetting the de finning bit, with the adrenalin rushing and all ::)

Garry

Gazza
21-12-2005, 01:00 PM
:) :) :)
http://fishingparty.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14

Happy belated bday dude
Merry Xmas mate
We LUV ya Dash, thanks for the slog ya gutz out 2005 efforts mate

Mogwai
21-12-2005, 01:10 PM
ROFLROFLROFLROFL

dasher
21-12-2005, 05:38 PM
:) :) :)
http://fishingparty.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14

Happy belated bday dude
Merry Xmas mate
We LUV ya Dash, thanks for the slog ya gutz out 2005 efforts mate

Thanks for the greetings Gazza most appreciated mate. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

And thanks for your support thru the year, it would be great if we could get a lot more like you mate. Keep up the good work buddy. 8-)

May you and yours have a great chrissy and a top 2006. :)

Here's one for you. ;)

Mogwai
21-12-2005, 06:08 PM
hi all i just woud like to confirm witch one is the pectoral fin as i have a bet with my missus and im going to win :) where is the best place to show her the name of the fins so i get my prize :o

Thanks
mogwai

scuttlebutt
21-12-2005, 06:32 PM
ahem