PDA

View Full Version : Formation of Brisbane Branch of TFPQ

BAIT_MAN
09-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Recent comments on past, present and future changes being applied to recreational fishing – particularly Moreton Bay and the Southport Spit, have prompted the question “Should we start a branch of the Fishing Party here in Brisbane?” #I am seeking responses from like-minded people who

1. Are passionate about recreational fishing
2. Want greater input into the way Moreton Bay Fisheries and others are managed
3. Have experience on committees and/or politics
4. Are prepared to work towards establishing a local branch of the Fishing Party in Brisbane #

Please direct your responses to smboese@bigpond.net.au or PM me.

Commodore
09-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Shane,
r u going to run it :-X, or is this just another project ;), seriously, I am always happy to help if it means keeping the bay open to recreational fishing and managing the trawlers, especially in the southern bay, as I have stated in other posts, a line should be drawn from the port to Tangas, anything south is a no go for commercial operators. Just my thoughts.
Cheers,
Chong
PS: got any fresh mullet gut?? ;)

BAIT_MAN
09-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Yes, I do intend to be actively involved in setting the Branch up and initially taking the reigns. Dates have already been set for a prelim meeting for interested people who want to be involved in the set up process, followed by a public meeting in early Feb.

Commodore
09-01-2006, 03:07 PM
when's the meeting and where?
Got any fresh mullet gut??
;D ;D

BAIT_MAN
09-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Chong no fresh mullet gut mate.
Have set a prelim meeting for next monday night 16/01/2006 at 56 Joffre Street Wynnum and a public meeting will be held on the 07/02/2006 at the Morton Bay Trailer Boat Club Fairlead Crescent Manly.

gif
10-01-2006, 05:23 PM
I know its early - but what time will the public meeting be?

Gary

CFisher
10-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Chong

I am sure you have your reasons for wanting commercial fishing excluded from that particular stretch of the bay, but it may be worth keeping in mind who supplies that mullet gut bait - might actually be a commercial fisherman.

As for the formation of the branch, might be worth contacting the Moreton Bay Commercial Fishermans Group as there may well be some benefits in banding together to fight some of the issues MB is going to face in the future. I know KC has meet with QSIA reps recently and this topic of cooperation between the two fisher groups was discussed. KC might like to add more.

Cheers
Andy

redspeckle
10-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Water_ Tower_Bait_N_Tackle
I have just join the fishing party just become 866 member and wandering what time start for meeting for next monday night :-?16/01/2006 at 56 Joffre Street Wynnum
I am keen to go and be a part in forming the fishing party branch in Brisbane
Mitch

4x4frog
10-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Shane,
I'd be interested in coming along to see what's going on too.
How does one become a memebr of the party?

Cheers.
Chris

dasher
11-01-2006, 12:45 AM
Shane,
I'd be interested in coming along to see what's going on too.
How does one become a memebr of the party?

Cheers.
Chris

Just go to the link in my signature Chris. ;)

Louis
11-01-2006, 11:19 AM
G'day Shane,

I'm a member of the party all ready.

I'll be attending the Meeting at the Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club on the 7/02/2006.

Any idea of the time it starts?

Louis

BAIT_MAN
11-01-2006, 05:35 PM
Louis

More details will be available as they come to hand and will let you know

Louis
12-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Cool.

Louis

Jeremy
12-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Chong no fresh mullet gut mate.
Have set a prelim meeting for next monday night 16/01/2006 at 56 Joffre Street Wynnum and a public meeting will be held on the 07/02/2006 at the Morton Bay Trailer Boat Club Fairlead Crescent Manly.

I have been a member of the TFPQ since the early days. I am very interested in becomming actively involved and I do have some experience on committees. I definitely can't make the 16th Jan and doesn't look like I can make the 7th Feb either. I will be in touch tho.

Jeremy

Jeremy
16-01-2006, 08:56 AM
How serious are you about this Shane? I wrote the above message and sent you a PM and an email 4 days ago and I haven't heard back yet. Today is the 16th.

Jeremy

BAIT_MAN
16-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Jeremy

Mate have sent you an email.

Jeremy
16-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks to Shane and Gary for the emails/PMs I received. Cyberspace ::)
Jeremy

kc
16-01-2006, 02:24 PM
As for the formation of the branch, might be worth contacting the Moreton Bay Commercial Fishermans Group as there may well be some benefits in banding together to fight some of the issues MB is going to face in the future. I know KC has meet with QSIA reps recently and this topic of cooperation between the two fisher groups was discussed. KC might like to add more.

Cheers
Andy

In response to Andy's point I recently met with the new chair of QSIA Niel Green in Ayr. Nice bloke.....and deep down a fisho.

To make it very clear TFPQ has a number of issues with commercial fishers that we will never see eye to eye on. That said, we have agreed to disagree. The big picture however is to identify the main threats to recreational fishing & that is axcess issues and habitat degredation. Niel & I have developed a working relationship which may ultimately result in some win/win outcomes. I am working on a draft submission to this end at present which will benifit commercial/recreational and domestic consumers without compromising fish stocks.........sound interesting!!

In broad brush terms when the new reef fin fish quotas were introduced in the GBR region many small operators either sold their small quotas to the "big boys", or got no quota at all.(For a raft of complicated reasons too involved to go into here)

The end result has been that reef fin fish have all but dissappeared from the domestic market(most now exported live) and these "displaced" commercial guys have started targetting inshore sepcies like grunter and whiting, just to make a living. This has brought them into conflict with rec fishers and placed substantial additional pressure on inshore stocks.

PLAN : Give these guys a liveable reef fin fish quota, only for supply as fillet (not wanted for export) and in return any pro wanting reef fin fish fillet quota, has to give up inshore netting............pros win (make a decent living), recs win, no more inshore netting (or much less), domestic market wins (Mrs average can buy our fish again instead of Meekong Catfish) and environment wins (given reef fin fish is a line fishery & much more able to withstand pressure than inshore fishery)

This is an example of how we can work together....on the other hand a fishery like inshore beam trawling will forever be on our "hit list" and an impasse, as is commercial targetting of billfish.

KC

BAIT_MAN
17-01-2006, 04:40 AM
Thank you to (Alchemy, Essky, Redspeckle, Stevedemon, Louis, Chong, Dennis and Gary Fooks ) For turning up last night. A lot was talked adout and the wheels are now in motion for the Formation of Brisbane Branch of TFPQ. This is only the start of the begining so to coin an old frase from the unions "United we STAND. Divided we FALL. So Lets all Stand together and win the fight for our kids.

4x4frog
17-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Shane,
My apologies for not attending last night. I am believe it or not coming dwon with a cold and feel miserable. A summer cold :'( YUK. No fishin' either.
I hope all went well and I look forward to the next get-together for the Qld branch set-up.

Regards,
Chris L