PDA

View Full Version : Once Again No Rec Fishers On Advisory Council

Derek_Bullock
18-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Very disapointing to see the Coastal Protection Advisory Counil appointed without any representation from recreational fishing groups. Look at the make up of the Council and wonder once again why we are on the back foot when it comes to clout with Government.

Derek

Environment, Local Government, Planning and Women, Desley Boyle

18/01/06

Minister appoints Coastal Protection Advisory Council

Environment Minister Desley Boyle today named the new members of the Coastal Protection Advisory Council which will advise her on matters relating to coastal planning and management.

"In these days of changing weather patterns, problems of erosion and sediment and concerns about water quality, coastal protection has never been more important," Ms Boyle said.

"I am really pleased to have such a diverse group of people, people with intimate knowledge of our special coastal areas and what threatens them, giving me advice on how to best protect our coastline.

"These community representatives have been selected from across Queensland for their expertise in coastal zone management and their ability to offer strategic planning advice.
They represent a broad range of stakeholders in the coastal zone, including local government, environment, the development industry, science and the Indigenous community," Ms Boyle said.

"It is terrific to be pooling our knowledge and working together to better manage Queensland's beautiful coast and its precious resources."

Ms Boyle said the members would provide advice on diverse matters including coastal plans prepared by the State and local governments and the application of coastal management techniques, research and studies.

The 11 advisory council members are: Eva Abal (Moreton Bay Waterways and Catchments Partnership); Simon Baltais (Queensland Conservation Council); Susanne Cooper (Sinclair Knight Merz); Melissa George (Indigenous traditional owner), Neil Lazarow (Australian Marine Conservation Society), Greg Long (Urban Development Institute of Australia), David Morgans (Tourism Queensland), Sheriden Morris (CSIRO), Lestar Manning (P&E Law), Donna Neilson (Local Government Association of Queensland), and Russell Reichelt (Reef Cooperative Research Centre).

The council is chaired by Environmental Protection Agency Director-General James Purtill.
The new council will hold its inaugural meeting in Brisbane later this month.

Ms Boyle congratulated the representatives on their appointments to the Coastal Protection Advisory Council.

"I look forward to working with them to manage and protect Queensland's coastal areas," she said.

Ends

Media contact: 3227 8819

kc
18-01-2006, 08:08 PM
On it. Dead right. I will be writing to Minister Boyle in an open letter and will post a copy here.

25% of coastal "user" are recreational fishers...why are we ignored??

KC

Gazza
19-01-2006, 11:52 AM
JMO...flipside :-?
If the charter/purpose/agenda restricts RecFishos.....
WOULD you want to be a part-signatory :-/

would the odd presentation/lecture/submission be more independent ;)
......and precise......

p.s. JMO , & you still get my vote

BAIT_MAN
21-01-2006, 05:33 AM
Why am i not surprised. It would nice to know how many of the 11 advisory council members take their kids fishing.