PDA

View Full Version : Macdonald sacked from ministry

Gazza
22-01-2006, 04:39 PM
http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17901225%255E1702,00.html

22jan06

Fisheries, Forestry and Conservation minister Ian Macdonald has been sacked from the Howard ministry.

A spokesman confirmed today that Mr Macdonald had been told by Prime Minister John Howard, he would not be included in the ministry after a reshuffle sparked by the resignation of Defence Minister Robert Hill last week.

Senator Macdonald said today in a statement that last Thursday Mr Howard told him he would not be reappointed to the ministry.

But Senator Macdonald will contest the next election for which he leads the Liberal Party ticket for Queensland.

"It has been an honour and a privilege to have served Australia for seven years as a minister, three years as a parliamentary secretary and about four years as an opposition shadow minister," he said. Senator Macdonald, 60, thanked the three Liberal Party leaders who had given him frontbench positions, John Howard, Alexander Downer and John Hewson.

He said Mr Howard had his respect and admiration and was an "exceptional" prime minister.

"My loyalty to the Liberal Party, particularly in North Queensland, my staff, my many friends who have supported me over the years, has meant that I have no interest in serving Australia in another non-parliamentary capacity," he said.

"In September last year, I was endorsed by a vote of 245 to 25 to represent Queensland as a Liberal senator for a further six years and at the time of my preselection, I indicated I would serve out my next term."

Senator Macdonald committed himself to the return of a coalition government in Queensland.

Among his achievements, he counted his part in saving the Tasmanian forestry industry and its consequent impact on the last federal election in which Labor lost two seats.

Also, Senator Macdonald said work done against illegal fishing in Australia's southern and northern waters would pay dividends in the near future.

kc
22-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Good riddance

KC

RobSee
23-01-2006, 05:41 PM
tell us what you really think Kev ;D ;D ;D

RobSee
23-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Fishing group backs Macdonald decision
The Kimberley Professional Fishermen's Association, in northern Western Australia, has welcomed news that Federal Fisheries Minister Ian Macdonald has been stood down from his position.

It is believed Prime Minister John Howard demoted Senator Macdonald to the backbench because of his handling of the problem of illegal fishing by Indonesians in northern waters.

The secretary of the Kimberley Professional Fishermen's Association, Bob Masters, says more money needs to be spent on keeping boats out of Australian waters.

Mr Masters says Senator Macdonald failed to recognise the severity of the problem.

"He basically turned the foreign fishing issue into a political issue between Liberal and Labor governments, he was pretty well in denial and just was incompetent really in his approach," he said.

WA Fisheries Minister Jon Ford says Senator Macdonald's departure is a chance to try a fresh approach to stamping out illegal fishing.

"His approach to this whole issue has been a failure. Notwithstanding that, we now have an opportunity to move forward with the Government in a fruitful, constructive way for all Western Australians, for all Australians," he said.

Meanwhile, the Northern Territory Seafood Council says Nigel Scullion would not put the Northern Territory ahead of other jurisdictions if he is appointed federal Fisheries Minister.

The Country Liberal Party Senator has been touted as a possible replacement for Senator Macdonald.

The seafood council's Ian Smith says the appointment would be good for Australia's fishing industry.

"He balances what's right and if the NT comes up trumps that's fine, but for many years he chaired the Australian Seafood Industry Council, which is the national body, and balancing all the competing interests in the state and territory in that job believe me is much harder than being a minister I would've thought," he said.

(ABC ONLINE 23/1/2006)

Derek_Bullock
23-01-2006, 06:39 PM
I see Senator Scullion is still being mentioned.

KC, has the Fishing Party let off a press release on this yet? ? ? ? ? ?

Derek

kc
23-01-2006, 11:46 PM
Man this is a tough one. I would so love to give Senator McDonald a "spray" but acting on advice should not kick a dog while he is down....hmm!

But... this is fishing chat and not mainstream press...and no doubt this will come back on bite me in due course.

McDonald was a very poor Minister who had no understanding of recreational fishing issues and despite personal meetings and discussions with him, just did not get it!! He did not even know (despite being from Townsville), what rules applied to Yellow zones and further more allowed his authority to be usurped by the EPA...not to mention the Animal Welfare Bill announcement (6 weeks late) and the illegal fishing debacle...........a dud!!

Bring on the new and hopefully we can have a better relationship with the new minister......hopefully, but I still think very doubtfully, Senator Scullion. This may be by far the best qualified fisheries senator but politics not ability will determine who gets the nod.

I am just so biting my tongue................. n%$#@@$...........but....that's politics.

KC