PDA

View Full Version : Boswell invites Abetz to meet Queensland Fishermen

gif
26-01-2006, 06:50 AM
Boswell invites Abetz to meet Queensland Fishermen

Leader of The Nationals in the Sentate, Ron Boswell, last night issued an invitation for new Fisheries Minister, Senator the Hon Eric Abetz, to visit Queensland as one of his first actions in his new portfolio.

“Last night, I welcomed Senator Abetz to the Fisheries portfolio and told him that I look forward to working with him on the many different issues facing commercial and recreational fishermen in Queensland and throughout Australia,” Senator Boswell said.

“I issued a personal invitation to the Minister to come to Queensland as one of his first ports of call to get a first-hand understanding of the issues facing our fishermen as the result of an upheaval in fishing industries over recent years.”

“Minister Abetz gave me an assurance that Queensland was now at the top of his priority list. He said he looked forward to coming up to Queensland with me and getting acquainted with how our fishing industries’ operations and their issues.”

“I would respectfully call the Minister’s attention to the plight of fishermen and fishing-related businesses displaced and impacted adversely by recent fishing closures on the Great Barrier Reef under GBRMPA’s Representative Areas Programme, and by subsequent State closures which were sold as being ‘complimentary’,” he said.

“I know that the Queensland Seafood Industry Association has very pertinent issues, including the future of line fishing in some Queensland fisheries and I will be make sure they get the opportunity to raise those with the Minister in the very near future.”

“There are also very vital issues which need to be addressed in the Torres Strait prawn fishery which is facing fishing cuts under a 20 year old treaty with Papua New Guinea and the Torres Strait Islands that need to be resolved sensibly and quickly.”

Senator Boswell said that he would ask Senator Abetz to meet with recreational fishing interests in Queensland to get across the problems they are facing with respect to declining participation and a significant reduction in water available for recreational fishermen to take part in their chosen sport.

“Fishing has never seen tougher times, and I this is an invitation to the Minister to take action from the outset, and immerse himself in the real issues which need to be addressed to secure fishing’s future as a viable industry and a popular pastime in Queensland.”

ENDS Media Contact – Paul Leven 07 3001 8150

Gazza
26-01-2006, 07:23 AM
Hi Gary,
with barnaby,boswell,(scullion in the background) and Senator Abetz anti-greenie mindset...... i.e. spray 8-)

there's a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel :) .....I live in hope