PDA

View Full Version : DPI&F To Test Gladstone Seafood

Derek_Bullock
28-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Primary Industries and Fisheries, Tim Mulherin

28/01/06

DPI &F TO TEST GLADSTONE SEAFOOD

Primary Industries and Fisheries Minister Tim Mulherin has instructed his Department to activate the Food Incident Response Group following the Gladstone oil spill.

The group consists of DPI&F Biosecurity, SafeFood Queensland and Queensland Health.

"There have been genuine concerns raised as to whether seafood from the affected area is safe to eat,'' Mr Mulherin said.

"Anyone who feels their seafood may be contaminated should first check for obvious signs, such as how it looks and smells.

"If there is any doubt, obviously the food should not be eaten.''

Mr Mulherin said the Response Group would collect samples of fish, prawns and crabs from the affected area and send these to a laboratory for testing.

"If these samples are found to be contaminated under the relevant Health and Food Safety Legislation, I will declare the contamination and assess the situation in regard to the sale and collection of the products.''

While there is a fee associated with testing, it will be met by DPI and F, who will seek recovery of costs from the insurer, if appropriate.

Mr Mollerin said the Fisheries Department had been carefully monitoring the oil spill and subsequent clean-up operation.

"I am particularly concerned with the effect the spill may have had on mangroves, seagrass, fish, prawns and other wildlife, especially in regard to the commercial fishing industry.

"Water and oil samples will also be tested as part of the response.

"My Department will continue to liaise closely with the EPA, Maritime Safety Queensland, Queensland Health and Queensland Transport, through the State Incident Control Centre, which is coordinating the response.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol have been assessing the situation in the harbour, Auckland Creek and the Calliope River as well as other affected areas.

"It is my understanding patrol officers have spoken with a number of commercial operators of live coral trout boats, including diverting these vessels to Yeppoon or Mackay.''

The Minister will travel to Gladstone tomorrow (Sunday) where he hopes to meet with the Mayor and fishing industry representatives and to be briefed by Maritime Safety Queensland.

Those wishing to submit samples should contact the DPI&F Boating and Fishing Patrol office in Gladstone on telephone 07 4972 0699 or mobile 0427 150 845.

Media: Minister's office: David Potter 0409 305 662