PDA

View Full Version : 4X4 Beach permit Double Island Point

BAIT_MAN
02-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Heard today that a $30.00 per week or $100.00 per year 4X4 Beach permit was going to be charged to travel the beach up to Double Island Point and rainbow. Does anybody know anything about this.

Derek_Bullock
02-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Shane

This has been on th agenda for a long time but thats the first I have heard of the dollars being mentioned. When the arguement over Inskip Point camping was going it was also mentioned. Below is a news article.

Derek

Campers protest against cutbacks

Brian Williams

03jan06

HUNDREDS of people attending a beach protest yesterday against a cutback in camping at Inskip Point off Fraser Island were told beach camping was doomed unless State Government policy was reversed.

Rally organiser, camper and Gympie National Party candidate David Gibson said the Government was putting at risk the much-loved Queensland tradition of beach camping.

Mr Gibson said the Government should not cut back on camping at the popular spot but instead increase ranger numbers and improve facilities.

About 4000 people camp at the site, some in four Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service campgrounds and others in dunes and bush areas.

Rangers are concerned about over-crowding, safety and sanitation, health and environmental impacts, including those of large numbers of 4WDs.

It also is proposed to introduce vehicle beach permits at Cooloola and Teewah beaches nearer Noosa.

Police have made several visits to Inskip over the past two days after a drunken brawl erupted on New Year's Eve in which 50 people became involved, some wielding tent poles, golf clubs and knives.

Mr Gibson said it was an unfortunate event.

"Fifty got into a bit of a fight but 3950 did not," he said.

He said yesterday's meeting resolved that the area be used to its fullest extent.

Rather than camping areas being reduced, consideration should be given to increasing camping areas to alleviate crowding.

A group also would approach the QPWS to be involved in planning for the area.

But QPWS southern Queensland director Terry Harper said increasing camping, rangers and facilities was not the answer.

"We're talking about a few weeks of the year when it's bursting at the seams – Christmas and Easter. The rest of the year it's pretty well okay," Mr Harper said.

rando
03-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Its a gazetted road ,they might find it a bit difficult effectively imposing a toll on a gazetted road.
Or,,, then again I might be talking through my hat & they can do pretty much what they please!

Lazybugger
03-02-2006, 05:23 PM
I hope if they do introduce it they make the same permit useable for both Fraser Is and DI- Noosa. I know I am heading up to Fraser for the weekend in the morning and plan to go via the Noosa each way and I know a lot of others use the same path whenever the tide allows. Lets face it driving on a beautiful beach v the highway ... no contest!

While the Cooloola section is run by EPA, Noosa - Teewah is controlled by Noosa Shire Council (I think). Hopefully a bit of commonsense will be used so one $30 permit fits all beach driving in the region so we can still drive noosa to Fraser.

Having said that I think any reduction in di**head numbers on Cooloola beach is a good thing. A couple of years back i passed one doing doughnuts and speeding (with passenger in the back of the ute) on the beach. I turned around (having not found a good gutter) about 10 mins later and the ute was on its side having hit an oncoming vehicle. From what I recall the driver walked away with a few cuts, the passenger in the ute tray had broken limbs and a person in the innocent vehicle was airlifted to Brisbane with spinal injuries.

Cheers

Lazybugger