PDA

View Full Version : Barra charters sunk

BAIT_MAN
05-02-2006, 02:10 PM
05feb06
COMPETITION for the state's premier sport fish is forcing professional anglers to relocate to survive.

Barramundi charter operators are blaming the state and federal governments' Barrier Reef fishing restrictions for clogging north Queensland's estuaries with professional and recreational anglers

Rather than celebrate this week's start to the barramundi season, frustrated fisherman Ryan Moody is counting the cost of lost business since the introduction of "green" zones in July 2004. The rules lifted the no-fish zones from 4.7 per cent of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park to 33.3 per cent.

Mr Moody says he has lost almost 80 per cent of his regular charter clients who are no longer willing to jockey for hot spots in the barramundi-rich rivers of the Burdekin, south of Townsville.

"By now I should be booked until August but I've got nothing," he said, citing a loss of about $60,000 last year.

Mr Moody's clients pay up to $200 a day to chase barramundi but many are now going to the Gulf for a quieter fishing experience.

"There's a huge displacement issue," said Mr Moody who is about to move his business, U-Beaut Barra Charters, north to Cardwell.

"Between us and the recreational fishers the competition is fierce – and it's going to get worse.

"I've had to have words with them for getting too close but it gets to a stage when there's too much traffic."

"There were times last year when we'd have to wait 90 minutes to get the boat out (to the best spots).

" I can't bulldust my clients. They just don't want to fish here any more."

Townsville fishing guide Andrew Mead said the green zones, in tandem with government willingness to allocate fishing permits, affected everyone in the industry.

"It's the first time in 10 years I've had to look for other work," he said. "There's been a general downturn everywhere."

Both operators have applied to the State Government for compensation.

Burdekin-based Queensland Seafood Industry Association president Neil Green said it was sad that fishermen were being forced to hang up their rods or relocate.

As the closed season ended at noon on Wednesday, the Fisheries Department reminded anglers of the barramundi bag and size limits.

A minimum size of 60cm applies in the Gulf region and it's 58cm on the east coast, with a maximum size of 120cm in both regions.

However, anglers fishing in Queensland's stocked impoundments, not affected by the closed season, can take one barra over 120cm out of a bag limit of five.

The bag limit for saltwater barra is five.