PDA

View Full Version : Major Oil Spill in Harbour

Needmorerum
26-01-2006, 04:51 PM
It's a shame to see that one of the fears of local fisho's has become reality with the loss of 25000 litres of heavy fuel oil into our local harbour in Gladstone.
Talk at the moment has it that the effect of the oil spill could change our way of fishing for some time. Some of the pro's are already losing catch's as they have had to shut down the Marina and they can't get in to unload their catch.
There have been boats in Auckland Creek and the Marina damaged by the spill.
It all started when one of the Tug boats, 'Tom Tough' collided with a bulk coal carrier, puncturing one of it's fuel tanks.
I'm not sure what affect this may have on our inner reefs and outer harbour fishing, I would expect that as it has been going on for a couple of days now that the tides would have to take a percentage of the spill out with it. I don't know if it would be able to be contained within the harbour. Either way, the pods of Dolphins and Dugong that we quite often see as we pass over 'Pelican Banks' and at the mouth of Auckland Creek would have to be affected.

A sorry thing to see, the spill was quite visible from the lookout at Auckland Hill yesterday, I haven't ventured up there today to have another look. Spinnaker Park has been closed off, as has the boat ramp at VMR and in the Marina.

A shame for our local community, I hope this doesn't have too much impact on our fishing quality, and I hope it doesn't get too far out of our harbour to impact on other closer areas.

Cheers
Corry

retiredandfishing
26-01-2006, 05:09 PM
not good :-[

Derek_Bullock
26-01-2006, 05:11 PM
Oil spill hits boats, wildlife

January 26, 2006

BOATS have been damaged and birds and mangroves affected after a violent storm pushed a huge oil slick off the central Queensland coast into a marina.

Clean-up efforts to contain the spill in the port of Gladstone were set back after a protective boom at the Auckland Creek entrance collapsed in the storm just before midnight (AEST), Maritime Safety Queensland general manager John Watkinson said today.
He said that allowed the slick, described as Queensland's worst in 30 years, to enter the marina.

"Some yachts have been soiled," Captain Watkinson said.

"An extensive examination is under way to assess the damage to yachting, the foreshore and the Spinnaker Park area."

The setback came as local commercial fishermen feared the disaster would put their industry on the brink of collapse and force others, who had to dump some of their catch, into debt.

"It'll just annihilate the stocks plus everything up and down the food chain in relation to what the different fishermen catch," fishing spokesman Warwick Sheldon said.
"It's right in the middle of the commercial banana prawn fishing season at the moment – this has the potential to just wipe out their stocks."

Emergency response teams, including 50 clean-up experts, worked through the night to contain more than 25,000 litres of heavy fuel oil which leaked into the port's waters after a tug boat crashed into a bulk carrier.

The accident, shortly before midnight on Tuesday, spewed 25 tonnes or 25,000 litres of heavy fuel into the incoming tide.

Several government agencies and four skimmer vessels were called in after the Tom Tough struck the Korean-owned, Panamanian-registered bulk coal carrier Global Peace, holing its fuel tank as it was about to berth.

Capt Watkinson said there were sightings of seven oil-affected birds in the area around the Calliope River mouth – four pelicans, two cormorants and a curlew.

Mangroves were also affected by oil but there was no indication other wildlife had been harmed, he said.

Local line fisherman Lance Hayward said he had to dump about $5000 worth of fish from his boat after the slick prevented him from berthing at the marina.

But he said he faced losing his entire catch of 1000 live coral trout – worth up to $53,000 and destined for the lucrative Hong Kong market.

"The buyers now might not buy them, they'll consign them and won't pay for them until they've sold them," Mr Hayward said.

"By the end of the week I might not get anything."

Premier Peter Beattie said an investigation was under way to determine whether anyone would be prosecuted.

"There will be no cost to the taxpayer because of the law," he said.

The clean up could last up to a week, with the costs met by the ship's owners in accordance with international maritime law.

retiredandfishing
26-01-2006, 05:18 PM
that is shocking. :'(

slugo
26-01-2006, 08:10 PM
another environment disaster that should never had happen. what I had read and seen on the news it was a accident well that may have been but what was the responce time to place booms around the spill what I had seen on the news it would have taken a while going by the large area the oil has spread.

Needmorerum
26-01-2006, 08:55 PM
From what I have heard as a local, the teams that were called for the clean up were activated and on the water very quickly. With the size of the harbour, and the 25 knot winds that were blowing, along with the tides, as it runs fairly quick through the harbour, it spread very quickly.
One of those things that we could really do without.

Cheers
Corry

Derek_Bullock
26-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Jusy heard down here that it has spread down the coast as far as Tannum Sands. Can anyone confirm that.

Derek

Dug
26-01-2006, 10:12 PM
This is a relatively small spill by previous records Australia has been amazingly lucky so far.

Still a bloody shame.

Volvo
26-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Still waiting to hear more but far as i'm concerned it should never have happened!! >:(..If a tug can puncture a hole in the side of a ship that size it doesnt go to say much for either the way the ship has been put together or whether it may pass Australian standards of what type or standard of ships we allow into our ports for the sake of the mighty$$$..
Yeah i'm a tad mad/cranky and still cant believe this has happened.
I mean fair feck!! the Tug musta been fairly mobile to have done something like that and one would think it not possible for the mere size of a tug to be able to plant a hole like that in the side of a ship its size..
Would like to know how much metal between hull and fuel n maybe how much cancer in between also??..
Would like to express a bit more towards this incident but will wait till i hear a bit more !!??..
Feck!! what a shame :(..
Cranky , cranky!!..

blaze
27-01-2006, 06:01 AM
I reckon we are lucky that it hasnt happened more often with the very poor state of ships flying flags of convenience, it must of been a very thin skinned ship. Would have thought they would need to be double skinned to cart things like oil.
Hope things go well in the clean up, seems a lot got away though
cheers
blaze

DNO40
27-01-2006, 06:20 AM
It would appear to be all contained to the North at this stage. I would say that the winds have assisted in this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not glad that its all North just because I live in Tannum, this is something that should never have happened.

As for the strength of the ship, I have seen the exact same thing happen in Tasmania to one of our Glorious War ships (HMAS TORRENS). When a tug is slinshot into the side of a ship it opens like a sardine can, no matter what the plate strength.

This unfortunately was always a possibility in Gladstone given the amount of Ships that transit our channels and berth under the assistance of our tugs.

DNO

retiredandfishing
27-01-2006, 08:08 AM
This is a relatively small spill by previous records Australia has been amazingly lucky so far.

Still a bloody shame.

huh. it's one of the biggest spills we've had in qld.

Needmorerum
27-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Aparently, the Tug had one of it's engines fail which made the other one spin the tug around quickly and the rear of it hit the ship. As said, with this much power, and when all the ducks line up, horro things like this happen.

Corry

retiredandfishing
28-01-2006, 06:12 AM
how is it going up there now? I can't seem to find any news on it. Have they contained the spill? How much loss of life to marine and esturine creatures.

DNO40
28-01-2006, 06:12 AM
Sad but True Corry.

DNO

BladeRunner
28-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Green zones now oil slicks, how much more can the CQ fishing industry take let alone the recreational fisher .

Just my thoughts :(
BladeRunner

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
28-01-2006, 09:16 PM
a lot of dissapointment for sure. the little man gets restricted by the green zone, "you can't do this, you can't do that!"and some p weak mob can't even have in place proper management plans to minimise enviro damage. I know where a lot of rec people will be fishing in the coming months. How ripped off can an environment get?!?!?!?!? anyone for a fish in a green zone? as if anyone really will give 2 hoots about close proximity green areas now after the birth place and originator of many life forms has been smothered and flunked.
............whatever!!

once_bitten
29-01-2006, 05:58 AM
I just got back from a months holiday in Gladstone and I was very impressed with how clean the area is considering the amount of industial action that takes place on and around the water.

Its a shame that this has happened.

Get Well Soon Gladstone

cheers Nino

Owen
29-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Anyone been up targinnie way?
Just wondering how far up the system ths wind has pushed the oil?

cheers,
Owen

Volvo
29-01-2006, 11:27 AM
See extract fom todays Sunday mail where State gov is considering a ban of seafood from this area pending on investigation....
Like Johny M sez the little fella has all these bag limits , green zones etc imposed on him and in one foul swoop more damage is done via different section or whatever than whatever the little fella coulda done!! >:(..
Main thing is not ta let all this stress one out..
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Just gunna go bash me noggin on the wall fer a wee while, back soon ey :'( :'( :'( :'(....

side_show_cod
29-01-2006, 01:50 PM
People say fish is good for the diet , but you should never cook it in butter. Fish is best cooked in its own natural oils .. Texaco, Mobil, Exxon # :o

Angla
29-01-2006, 04:18 PM
[quote author=Derek Bullock link=1138258319/0#2 date=1138259487][b]Oil spill hits boats, wildlife

Local line fisherman Lance Hayward said he had to dump about $5000 worth of fish from his boat after the slick prevented him from berthing at the marina.

But he said he faced losing his entire catch of 1000 live coral trout – worth up to $53,000 and destined for the lucrative Hong Kong market.

End quote

No wonder I can't find a Coral Trout

Angla

Burley_Boy
29-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Beat me to it Angla.
1x line fisherman, 1x trip, 1000 Coral trout, sheesss. Ok call me naive but really guys. Thats $5.30 per fish, reckon I spend about $200 per fish I keep on average but I'm one of the 90% who keeps the tackle industry in employment.

Sux about the spill, sorry Corry didn't mean to take the post sideways my mind just flips on some figures.

Keep yer chins up guys with a bit of luck it will have minimal effect on at least your offshore fishing.
My best to the chaps in Gladstone
BB

Needmorerum
29-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Anyone been up targinnie way?
Just wondering how far up the system ths wind has pushed the oil?

cheers,
Owen

Owen, we've got oil in the mangroves next to our (CAR) Wharf. Not sure how far up it has gone. I'm thinking about putting in at Targinnie Creek next weekend and having a run around with a bloke from work. Might even end up putting my own in and having a run around yet.
Might have to move my estuary fishing down to Broadacres area and move in on DNO, not that I would be a threat though I spose.

Cheers
Corry

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
29-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Today is my sister's birthday so Sue and I and the family all joined together in Gladstone to celebrate. My oldies have lived in Gladstone for nearly 50 years, and their home is on the harbour front at Barney Point.
Dad said there definitely was not any 'violent storm' the night of the accident, and the emergency crews were very quickly activated. The boom placed across Auckland Creek to keep the oil out did not 'collapse as a result of the storm'. It was run over by a trawler which completely buggered it. There were at least 8 witnesses to that.

Dad walks his dog every morning along the harbour front from Piggery Ck and the next morning after the spill there was no oil, (and still isn't) on the shore. He also said that it was interesting to note that trawlers were working in the harbour that same morning.

Yeah sure it is serious, but I remain wary of over zealous reporters, and a press addicted to sensationalism.

In my opinion, the story of the 1,000 live coral trout is laughable. Every fisherman would dream of that sort of catch in one trip!

Hopefully not too much environmental damage has occured, and Corry might be able to shed more light on the situation at the Narrows after his run up there.

Cheers to all
Dave

DNO40
30-01-2006, 06:08 AM
Plenty of room for all Corry.

DNO

BladeRunner
30-01-2006, 07:37 PM
CHECK IT OUT CORRY. LET ME KNOW WHAT IT WOULD BE LIKE IF YOU CAN STILL CRAB IN THIS AREA.
THERE IS NOTHING HAPPENING IN THE BOYNE AT THE MOMENT.

HOW HAVE YOU BEEN OTHER WISE?
BladeRunner

Needmorerum
30-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Yeah been good Bernie, hopefully will be up there on the weekend, if not I am planning on going for a drive up to Targinnie and Ramsays to have a look, will let you know.
There are still stains on the mangroves outside work, but there doesn't seem to be anything on the up side of the wharf. There isn't any sign of it south of Auck Ck either, so the prevailing winds and tide looks like it has kept it all between the loading wharf and ours.
In the overall scheme of things, 25k litres of oil in the harbour really isn't that much. If it was in a smaller body of water, then the affects would be greater.
Not sure where the media got their footage of pulling dead Shags out of bunded oil, but I haven't seen anything anywhere near as bad as what they are showing, not sure where this could have been.
There's no sign of it up any of the feeder creeks just north of Calliope Rvr, and no signs up the Calliope either.
Similarly to what Dave has said, I don't think there would be too many of us that hasn't seen the media streeetch the truth.
The Observer tomorrow is apparently running an article that is saying that the seafood industry in Gladstone shouldn't be affected by the oil spill. Wonderfull how they can turn their thoughts around in a week.

Cheers
Corry

PS. As far as the 1000 Trout, isn't this an average result of a fishing trip? Maybe my trips aren't as bad as I thought they were. He He He.

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
31-01-2006, 10:34 PM
coral trout, 1000 per week or 1200 plus in 4 days at times, one mother boat- all from the swains, 50 odd bucks plus per kg live price during peak sale times. and yep, lance had 1000 fish, at 50$ each rough figures,,,,,,,,,,,and the swains is fishing like a dream. no shortage of coral trout out there at present. best fishing for years at the moment.
believe it.

and back to the oil,
just because visually, oil can't be seen at the spill sight or close to it, it doesn't mean any harm has not been caused. SE winds have pushed the scum up into the mangrove lined bays and creeks north west of the spill sight. it lays on mud flats, mangrove roots and smothers and kills juvenile life forms. no full noted effects will be noticed for years. 25 tonnes is not a great mass of oil, but in a harbour that is struggling at the best of times, it certainly does not do any of us, or most importantly the environment, any favours! And the processes and new guidelines put in place to prevent a huge scale spill from occuring in the future,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I WON'T BE HOLDING MY BREATH! its only the environment they say!
johnny

Pash67
01-02-2006, 09:45 AM
Corry,
You can come boating down our way. You have to be able to catch a fish before you call it fishing ;D ;D ;D Past records show our area will be safe if your here ;D ;D

Adrian

Owen
01-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Corry,
You can come boating down our way. You have to be able to catch a fish before you call it fishing ;D ;D ;D #Past records show our area will be safe if your here ;D ;D
Adrian

ooooh, you're such a bitch!

I doubt you'll hear too much from the Observer saying that the fisheries will be seriously damaged.
Gladstone knows which side it's bread is buttered on :-/

cheers,
Owen

the_matrix
01-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Been reading the oil spill posts with great interest.
I would agree that media sensationalism is rife in todays world, but Im quite sure its not in this case.
I arrived at Fishermands Landing wharf (CAR) for work at 5am with the distinct smell of oil permeating the air.
My first thought was that RTS Pioneer had a spill, and as soon as I got to the end of the wharf, I had a look over the side. Being early in the morning with little light it was hard to see, but pretty obvious that the surface of the water was BLACK.
Security informed me of the accident, and as the sun rose, the true magnitude of the spill was apparent. The water as far as you could see up the narrows, and all the way down past Clinton coal facility was silky smooth and mostly black, even though by then there was 15kts of wind blowing.

Being a Cape class vessel, its size restricts harbour entry only on flood/high water tides.
Around the time of the incident the tide had peaked and was at slack water.
Once the tide started ebbing, the spill would of started to spread back down to Auckland Point and beyond.
The flood tide in the morning pushed it way back up past Fishermans landing, to Black Swan and beyond.
Fortunatley, the North side of the harbour is pretty well unaffected.
Around 6.30am, I saw the first sign of wildlife in trouble, 2 Pelicans covered in oil, unable to fly and in a pretty bad way. Not long after I saw a couple of shags in the same state.
Absolutley heart breaking to see.

God only knows the true magnitude of the damage caused to the wildlife and marine species.
The oil did reach the Anabranch and surrounds, so who knows what else has been affected.
Prawn trawlers were operating the next morning, but at a later stage of the flood, when the slick was up past the coal Berth.
Hope that sheds some light on the subject, albeit bad light :'(
Jas

blueringin
01-02-2006, 11:23 PM
I've known Lance for years when i was up that way,& he is a genuine fella, good fisherman too,he's been at it most of his life knows all the spots,& he was'nt on his own, as per the mother boat with a few dory's & deckies so they earn afew Quid each but not a lot as there are so many mouths to feed. So when u do the maths factor in guzzoline wages gear bait tucker wear & tear truckin flyin bad weather ####uating prices & so forth , its not so rose coloured, but still not a crook job at all,it.s a good experience but not a good living for a deckie. but Skippers do OK.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
02-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Matrix..... what a load of BS!!!!

Dave

the_matrix
02-02-2006, 02:29 AM
What ever you reckon, "dave"
Thats exactly what I thought of your post.
Some how I think Im a little better informed than you, considering the harbour is my place of work, and Ive been on the harbour for between ten and 12 hrs EVERY day since it happened. Add to that a colleague from CQPA who has been part of the containment team since the incident. He was one of the first called, guess that means he is on the front line in my book.
Spose you think that some of the Pelicans at Awoonga that are black, were actually born that way too eh?
Jason

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
02-02-2006, 10:23 AM
You're as bad as the media Matrix. And yeah, Pelicans are born black aren't they??????????????/

Dave

the_matrix
02-02-2006, 05:04 PM
No worries brains,
#Its people like you who run off at the mouth, without a bloody clue of whats going on, listening to chinese whispers, adding a little, then passing on a bit more.
The bit about you saying that the trawlers broke the boom. Good on ya! Once again, you are wrong. The boom was opened for the Heron Island spirit, then Processor 1 went out as well. Thats when the oil entered the marina. At least 8 witness?Obviously you were not one of them, probably read that in the Local paper as well!

The Marina was well and truley contaminated by the time everyone else went out.
It was actually filmed by a the tv network when they opened it for the Spirit, which had #speacial permission from the harbourmaster.

Any excuse to slip the boot in to the pro's.

You'll go well in a small town.
Jason

camsharkman
02-02-2006, 08:33 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D Top entertainment!!

Would have to agree with Reel Nauti on this one.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
02-02-2006, 09:23 PM
No running off with my mouth Matrix. I lived and worked in Gladstone for 40 years and have a lot of friends and family there, so I think I can say I know a little about the harbour etc as well. And as I said, a trawler ran over the boom and buggered it, probably didn't see it in the dark and may not have even known it had been put in place. (The media actually reported that a violent storm had destroyed the boom). I am aware that the marina copped some contamination and that some boats and yachts were soiled with oil residue.
And the no oil on the Barney Pt side around to Piggery Ck the very next morning is absolute fact.
Your rantings clearly demonstrate your inability to accept fact, and like the media, never let the actual facts get in the road of a good story.

Cheers
Dave

the_matrix
02-02-2006, 11:18 PM
Ive just about had enough of back and forward insults so this will be the last post I reply to.
You are entitled to your opinion, so am I. You think you are right, as do I.
What I saw was worse than reported,or reported incorrectly,which you have stated as well.
Also, I didnt say you dont know anything about the harbour, my point was that I see it every day, in all tides, conditions and moods.Also, I saw the harbour EVERY day of the spill.
At no stage did I comment on Piggery ck and/or Barney point.
I guess no one likes to be told they are full of shit, you included.
If you had of replied in a different manner to start with, I doubt this would of become personal, and a better result may of played out.
Im just calling it how I see it. If you dont agree, thats fine............no need to bag someone. When you do, thats when it becomes personal.
Jas

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
03-02-2006, 09:28 AM
I don't think it's personal Matrix, and I can't see any reason for hard feelings. As you said, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Cheers
Dave

BladeRunner
04-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Dave
Was the trawler that ran over the boom and buggered it in big trouble?
You think something as series as this they would have put a tug on guard. Not a tugger.

Any way is done is done so now we wait for the outcome.
How may days, months and tears you know years before we really feel the effects.
May be its not as catastrophic as some may think. But any spill how big or how small is series enough for environmental bio diversity and our eco systems. Especially when it involves my fishing. So that’s why we the people respond in an emergency and may be the port of Gladstone has learnt by this miss hap.

We are not the first to have an oil spill and we wont be the last.
Alaska bounced back Gulf war will bounce back. We need oil its more precious than gold.
Safe boating.

BladeRunner

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
11-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Haven't seen the news about Gladstone for a while so I was wondering what happened as a result of oil/fuel spill?

Does anyone know the latest? Is the seafood ok? Did that guy with the 50k worth of live trout lose it all?
Are there birds and sealife dying?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I would really like to know.

Cheers and thanks
Dave

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
19-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Seafood given the greenlight for consumption. Prawns, crabs, barra, trout, salmon etc plus much more was handed to authorities for testing. Sale of seafood from the local region is allowed. No problems noted with its quality, although a small issue did arise with some prawn testing, unrelated I think to fuel oil spills.
I have not heard one word about any life forms that died and could be seen floating or washed up. The dolphins and mass bait schools never left the close area to the spill. Possible full effects will be unknown! I hid for about a week before really going for a look. Too scared!!
I think it was a huge shock to our systems, an ugly mess, and possibly not that detrimental when we talk volumes of oil per harbour tidal volumes. I still feel worried as to how easily this happened and the likelihood that it could easily happen again on a much larger scale. I often think of the tankers and bulk ships that pass by our GBR!
The trout boats are now allowed to unload from Gladstone again. The water quality tests obviously allow this! I have not gone North west deep in the mangroves to look closely, but I do find it very difficult to find much oil deposits in the local area of the spill and adjacent areas.
Johnny M

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
19-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks Johnny

Went to Gladstone this weekend and had a good look around the harbour area. I could see no real aftermath of the oil spill and I personally did not witness or hear of any real damage. We spent many hours looking aroung the Nth Entrance especially as that is where a tremendous run on the ebb occurs, also along the spit off Quoin, the Oaks and Sth End. Nothing at all for me to report.
Fishing on the Sth East of Rat Is, Sue and I boated and kept 3 nice trout, 4 cod, 1 big mowie, 1 parrot. If the oil spill has effected the fishing in Gladstone harbour in anyway, it has enhanced it.
As I said in an earlier post, I think there was a lot of hue and cry at the initial stages of the spill instead of a focus on fact.
Glad to see no signs of real damage.

Cheers
Dave