PDA

View Full Version : "PLEASE HELP US"

Toppy
19-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Hi all, I have just returned from a input/fundraising rally in the currumbin valley. The purpose of this get together was to generate attention to a proposed housing development involving yet another lakeside estate & 500 odd homes. The location of this site is in the beautiful & so far untouched currumbin valley in the southern Gold Coast. This would be a crying shame if the local council & developer can push this through without public input! In this day & age its hard to stop progress but if the public (you & me) allows this to go unchallenged its only a matter of time before we have just another suburban jungle.
I love this area, it is one of the most awsome places I could think of living. From the rainforest walks to mackeral fishing of palm beach its hard to beat! Understandably this is why people want to live here, however if you cut down all the trees and shove more & more houses into it, what's to enjoy? So what I am asking on behalf of the local comunity & "friends of Currumbin" is donations & support to help stop or at least slow the urban sprawl thats going to ruin this picturesque landscape.
THIS IS A CRY FOR HELP!!!!!!!
If a substantial amount of money isnt raised in the next few days to cover more legal expenses to win this cause in court its all over for Currumbin Valley!
I have no doubt that if this development goes ahead, this will just be the start of a domino effect in housing.
So for those of you who might have fond memories from holidaying or day tripping to our part of the world, please any donations big or small will surely be apreciated. Any money can be paid direct into the Friends of Currumbin bank account or cheques posted. Receipts are available and a report will be available to let everyone know what the money has been spent on.
Sincer Regards
Paul Topp
Currumbin Waters

Toppy
19-02-2006, 05:22 PM
pre dawn bass/flick flack

keen_as_mustard
19-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Toppy,

I know how you feel - I worked hard to generate support for the Spit rally 2 weeks ago amongst people I know, but was a bit disappointed by the turnout. A lot of people can't see what they stand to lose, or just don't care?

I live in Elanora and was wondering where this development is planned for - I haven't heard anything about it as yet? I didn't think there was much in Currumbin Creek past the goose ponds, and someone has already developed one side of these?

Marty

Toppy
20-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Hi Marty, Good to hear you are a local!
I didnt get a chance to go to the rally about the terminal at the spit but would love to hear what happened & may have some useful info to drum up support.
The development is going to be between Piggabeen rd & Galleon Way & runs parallel to Currumbin Creek rd. If you look in a current st map its even marked as a proposed golf coarse. This was what they originally proposed to build along with a resort.
Like the Gold Coats needs more!
Its not all bad the homes look nice its just that the council have stalled on giving the public access to all the information regarding the development. So for anyone who lives in the flood zone this is a real concern as more sealed roads & concrete cause more run off. They also have a plan for a marina & a saltwater lake about about 18hectars?
One of my concerns is that this may open pandora's box and more development may follow. People tend to be adjusted bit by bit & often we dont notice as much, like fuel prices/put it up a lot & drop it back a little.
I could go on more than I have already, but risk boring you silly. If you do want to know more give us a bell Marty I,m home most nights between 6-9pm ph 0429644800 call & I'll give you the land line #.
Cheers
Toppy