PDA

View Full Version : PETA TO ATTACK GAME FISHING FIRST.HER/SUN

seabug
26-02-2006, 12:58 PM
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18271637%255E2862,00.html

Half page article in todays Herald/Sun

Seems they intend to try to ban all line fishing.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Regards
Seabug

Derek_Bullock
26-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Push to end 'cruel' fishing

By MATTHEW SCHULZ

26feb06

ANIMAL liberationists have focused on Victoria's 600,000 anglers in a new campaign against sports they claim are cruel.

Victorian fishermen say the campaign is ridiculous.
Animal Liberation spokesman Mark Pearson said recreational fishing was a "barbaric sport" and the group had planned first strikes against game fishing.

Other action in its bid to wipe out angling would follow if authorities did not act, he said.

While Mr Pearson would not reveal the group's strategy to wipe out one of Australia's favourite pastimes, US activists have paraded in the streets with stuffed dogs hanging from fishing poles and erected billboards on the same theme.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) spokeswoman Karin Robertson said: "If you wouldn't hook the family dog and drag her behind your car, you shouldn't impale a fish and drag her into your boat.

"Fish are smart, have complex lives and deserve to live free from suffering."

Animal Liberation has hired barristers and bought boats to prove marlin and shark hunters are breaking animal cruelty laws.

Mr Pearson said fishing tournaments were "nothing but a glorified abuse of these animals".

"If these wild animals could scream, maybe someone would listen," he said.

"If this torture was being inflicted on dolphins, there would be public outrage."

Mr Pearson vowed the attack on game fishing was the first step.

"Once we've opened the door to this debate, it raises further questions, such as the fellow down on the wharf who chucks the fish back without eating it," he said.

But the state peak recreational fishing body, VRFish, said the animal liberationists' campaign was "absolutely ridiculous".

"It's probably one of the last areas where people can get their own feed from the wild," executive director David Kramer said.

Anglers were educated about handling fish with care, he said.

"A group of animal libbers aren't going to stop us. It's like saying we should stop killing cows for beef."

Derek_Bullock
26-02-2006, 01:10 PM
PLEASE DONT BELIEVE THAT THE NATIONAL ANIMAL WELFARE LEGISLATION (http://www.aph.gov.au/Senate/committee/rrat_ctte/animal_welfare05/info.htm) HAS BEEN SHELVED. WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS TO EMERGE EVER SINCE IT WAS FIRST BROUGHT TO LIGHT.

VICTORIA TODAY - THE REST OF AUSTRALIA TOMORROW

Derek

neilspeil
26-02-2006, 04:42 PM
These are the same people that are making posters like this for children in support of their cause.

http://www.fishinghurts.com/pdfs/DaddyKillsAnimals.pdf

http://www.furisdead.com/pdfs/mommykills.pdf

Derek_Bullock
26-02-2006, 05:22 PM
These are the same people that are making posters like this for children in support of their cause.

Unfortunately they are meeting with great success with this sort of campaigning. The numbers are growing (mostly from the younger generation) quite significantly, they are campaigning with much more gusto and the millions of dollars they have to spend just increases.

What are we doing to counteract this while they gradually wittle away at our pasttimes.

Derek

Barrymundi
27-02-2006, 07:15 AM
They just had a good 10 minutes on the TV - Channel nine,

Sit back and do nothing........ These people are getting a lot of support.

If they ban fishing in this country I will leave.

Al

gone_phishin
27-02-2006, 08:14 AM
Just had a look at the 2 links above from Neilspeil and am flabbergasted :o This is to me a sign of very sick perverted people if they think that this type of comic is suitable to show kids, and with an attitude like this, they should not be allowed near children at all, as this is an extremest case of showing violence to the young, in fantasy form. Very very worrying. I will be writing to my local, state, and federal members to ensure they are aware of these moronic perverts who are advertising this garbage to our children. Please, everyone do the same!!!

Angry? No, just very sad and worried # :'( :'( :'(

kc
27-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Antifishing activism, with the support of green political pressure is a threat to recreational fishing the like of which we have never seen before.

We knew it was coming but the speed with which it has come is amazing, not to mention the amount of money about to be thrown at this campaign.

Comparing the miniscule resources of TFPQ with the $29M a year PETA budget should really hit home to every recreational fisher in the country.

Unless TFPQ posts a major vote at the next elections and put the Government on notice that rec fishers will vote to protect their rights, then in less than a decade the young will view fishing as the unacceptable passtime of ecentric old codgers and this will be the last generation to understand and enjoy recreational fishing.

Every tackle and boating manufacturer in Australia should recognise the seriuosness of this threat.
This is real, incredibley well funded and organised and some research on the history of this organisation leaves one in no doubt that they mean business and recreational fishing in Australia is the next animal rights battleground and a fight they think they can win.

robersl
27-02-2006, 08:04 PM
maybe we can claim native title rights to fishing as it is part of my heritage, but on a serious note you will not even be able to teach your kids to fish this is all part of family bonding and teaching your kids to be responable there is so much interference in the world today they wonder why kids have no discipline and there are crime waves because the do gooder\s ban everything that people want to do

Gazza
27-02-2006, 08:14 PM
their cartoons are obvious bullsh!t , and only suit their own twisted brains.......and followers who will believe anything in their miserable lives.
Do I care whether they eat fish or animals....NOPE ,more for me!! 8-)

"I'm just practising on the fish!!" is just as radical, but same playing field. ::)

MickS
27-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Saw the guy on TV this morning and thought what a ######!

Looked like he had eaten his fare share of Big Macs, but I guess the slaughter of things they like to eat(cows) doesn't count.

Maybe we should all become vegetarian, then agian this book http://www.earthpulse.com/products/secret.html says plants think and have ESP, so we can't eat them as well.

Lets all just starve to death, but be politically correct about it.