PDA

View Full Version : Anglers Action Group Needed In Queensland

Derek_Bullock
12-03-2006, 11:18 AM
The Anglers Action Group (Sydney Northside) Inc. is a group of recreational anglers based in Sydney’s Northern Beaches, with membership throughout NSW, Victoria and Queensland.

The AAG tries to serve two functions.

One is to stand up for the rights of recreational anglers where we see these are being impinged upon by various groups such as State, Federal and local government, governmental departments or various green-based ideologies.

Secondly and perhaps more importantly, is to keep the angler informed of decisions that have been made and to encourage members to form their own opinions and make submissions in their own right. We encourage input from concerned groups or individuals regarding their local or State recreational fishery. In fact, AAG’s motto is “keeping the angler informed”.

QUEENSLAND NEEDS AN ORGANISATION SUCH AS THIS ACTIVELY STANDING UP FOR THE RIGHTS OF QUEENSLAND RECREATIONAL ANGLERS AND ACTIVELY KEEPING ANGLERS INFORMED ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON. #I AM TRYING TO DO MY BIT HERE BUT DOUBT IT IS BEING HEARD

So who up there is prepared to set it up ? ? ? ?

Check THEM out at http://www.spunge.org/~aag/

Derek

BAIT_MAN
12-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Derek

Thats all we need other group that keeps us from becomming one united group. The problem we have is that there are too many groups out. We need to unite togeather as one. So long as there are many we will not win and the goverment knows that they can do as they please.

ANSWER TFPQ

Derek_Bullock
12-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Shane

Are you sure that TFPQ is the answer. #I am not.

The Fishing Party, like many others, is a political party. #We are leading up to State and Federal Elections right across the country and TFPQ will be spending their time, effort and most of their money trying to win seats or a spot in the Senate. #

This time, effort and money would be better spent on the real issues like looking after recreational anglers. Not pandering to someones ego to become a politician.

Can anyone tell me what TFPQ are currently doing because I am tired of hearing that they are working behind the scenes.

Look at what ECOfishers and the AAG are doing here in NSW. #Rallies and public protest meetings; walking on Parliament House; letters to Minisiters and members of parliament; letters to persons at all levels of Federal, State and local government; letters to all local newspapers; protesting against what is happening down here. #Bringing the issues into the forefront of the public.

I dont see that being done in Queensland, thats why I am pushing for an Anglers Action Group.

Derek

Glind
13-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Derek,
With all due respect, that is what TFPQ is doing, at all levels. Things such as letters to all forms of Government, meetings with ministers, education in the local areas etc are being actioned. We do send press releases to the local papers but they rarely get to print.
We are not politicans, nor want to be politicians, just normal people having a go. Where it really bites the Government hard is at the ballot box. If a politician knows his/her job is under threat, then they will do something. Why jump off a gravy train.
Would you rather us do nothing and go away....we are doing our best for the common good.
I also know a lot of people do not want to be a member of a political party for any number of reasons and that is fine. What we are after is support, particularly at election time, so as long as as many people as possible give whatever Government a kick in the pants at election time, for what we are trying to achieve, then that is where we will be judged.
If it doesn't work at the next election, then so be it, at least we had a go to the best of our ability. If we are going to loose, we will go down swinging.
I know you are very concerned about the future and so are we but don't knock someone who is having a go. If you think you can help us out and find out what we actually do, why don't you help out in an advisory role where you don't have to be a member. We are both after the same end result you know.
Tim

Barrymundi
13-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks Derek,

Now I understand some of the comments by others about you on this site.

I have seen 4 reports in the written media in the last 2 weeks and plenty of talk on the radio regarding the Fishing Party.

PS - Try living in Queensland, maybe then you will know what is really going on.

My EGO is pretty good.

Alan

BAIT_MAN
13-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Derek

Kc get to speak on a brisbanes 4bc fishing show most weeks and he lets every one know what is going on. I also get to speak on that same show and put my twenty cents worth when asked about TFPQ.

kc
13-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Don't be too hard on Derek guys. He is one of the good guys and puts an enourmous amount of effort into keeping this web forum alive. He also has a habit of playing devils advocate and I have to say. The odd headbut is better "in house". It actually helps "us" be ready for the real deal.

Just a few issues on the drawing board at present.

Meetings with politicians, talking preferences and policy are underway. The state election is Feb 2007 and the jockeying has already started.

Derek misunderstands our major aim. It is not to become politicians...god forbid. It is about outpolling the greens and making the "fishing vote" a more attractive deal; for would be politicians, than the "green vote". We do that and everything changes. The greens will never win a seat in Qld and neither will TFPQ, we can, however help determine who does win a seat and this is how Government policy is influenced...the ultimate lobbying!!

We are also having a win with the compensation payments for the businesses up North ruined by RAP. Opening new branches, gaining more members, organising a membership drive and in constant dialog with industry which has resulted in one major publishing group now giving us free space every month.

This is, however, all in Qld and not NSW so it is not surprising it is not making much of a spalsh down there.

We are also in dialog with ECOFISHERS in NSW and offering help and advice with things they are up to.

FUNDAMENTAL To our whole ideolgy is this.

Do we fight every fight for a fair go for recreational fishing when to this point all efforts fall on deaf ears, or ears already plugged with green wax, or do we make such a spalsh politically, at an election, that we can't be ignored?

With the benifit of the GBR experience recreational fishers put up the best, most concerted and well researched submissions campaign ever lodged. We lobbied politicians of every creed, held protest rallies, harbour and road blockades, public meeting after public meeting .....and the end result was we got absolutely shafted!!

Then we get organised, get ourselves in the main game, threaten to get a few votes and suddenly, Ministers who used to ignore us or fob us off to the tea lady...now beat a path to our door.

Derek takes a view that TFPQ or some other body should be looking after the rights of recreational fishers along the lines of what ECOFISHERS is doing in NSW.

TFPQ disagrees. We believe that we have politicians who are already suppossed to do that, they just need some seriuos reminding and THAT is what TFPQ is all about.

Our job is to get votes, that's what political parties do (just like the greens)...the more votes we get the more we will be taken seriuosly by Government and THEN things will change, not the other way around.

I should also apologise for not being as active as I should be on this forum. I just have too much on my plate and welcome the likes of Tim, Shane and Al putting in their 2 bobs worth......starting to feel like we have a team here and it feels pretty damn good after 2 long years.

KC

Derek_Bullock
13-03-2006, 05:35 PM
FINALLY # # FINALLY # # FINALLY

Do you guys think I get pleasure out of doing this to get you to finally speak out. #All of you have said more today than I have heard for ages.

Al, I am a Queenslander. #I have lived there all my life and have only been out of the state for the last six months however I am sick and tired of people (Queenslanders) asking me whats going on in Queensland because they are hearing nothing from you guys.

It's all about perception. #Maybe the Fishing Party is the organisation to lead an Anglers Action Type Group but let me tell you guys, you have a long way to go. People need to hear about it and see something in action.

I for one know what the Fishing Party is doing, proably more so than a lot of it's members, but I tell you what, very few other people in the State know whats going on..

So guys, keep the information coming and keep it coming strong and hard. #I have said it before, and I know the stats on the numbers of people who visit these forums, you have a captive audience on here so use it.

Derek

kc
13-03-2006, 11:08 PM
There goes Derek, show his true colours!!! You can take the boy out of Qld But can't take Qld out of...............you know!!

We'll keep "at it", keep flying the flag & keep trying to "keep the bastards honest"...where have I heard that?"

Just be sure.

We are a cog in the wheel...not the wheel itself.

The green party don't fight for the rights of environmentalists.that's the job of land care/greenpeace/conservation council/national parks association/marine conservation society.etc etc..who cares!!

The green party's job is to get the votes and the votes then empower the lobbiest.

TFPQ's job is "get the votes" then Sunfish/Recfish/Ecofishers..etc etc ..who cares, can do the "lobbying" and have some bloody teeth for a change.

Pretty simple really...just a pity it has become so bogged down and "we" Have been altogether too politically correct.

We are getting more focused, more members, more branches and more industry support.....if we actually end up getting more votes....we might even make a difference.......if we don't, at least we went down swinging!

KC

Ps Derek. Keep throwing the occassional hand grenade....amazing who the explosion wakes up=)

I enjoy your well aimed darts..they might sting a bit but it cerytainly keeps us awake