PDA

View Full Version : DEATH BY A THOUSAND CUTS

baldyhead
10-03-2006, 04:33 PM
I know that the following is about firearms...but it could also represent our beloved fishing just as easily. It was written by a Kayne Robinson from the National Rifle Association of America.
Definitely worth a read.

Derek_Bullock
10-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Off topic replies have been deleted.

FOLKS I DID ASK THAT WE GET BACK TO THE ORIGINAL SUBJECT. THIS IS ABOUT FISHING NOT GUN LAWS. #THANKS

wetaline
16-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Moved to where Derek?

Did I miss the point that 'baldyhead's' post was referring to the similiarities between the actual demise of rec shooting and the possible demise of rec fishing?

I think you missed the/my point when I replied to the post. What's currently happening to the rec fishing brotherhood is not unlike that which happened to the shooters brotherhood years ago.

In my post I was attempting to warn our younger members of the pitfalls of standing idly by while our sport is eroded by fundamentalist pollies and greenies who have barrows of their own to push with no regard to the fisho.

As someone elsewhere on these forums aluded "The enemy of your enemy, is your friend".

We all love our sport of fishing, but many of us have done more than one thing in our recreational lives. In my case I have learned the "Death by a thousand cuts" lesson all too well, as a shooter. It was my intention in posting to convey the subtliness with which such a death can occur.

You yourself advocate elsewhere on these forums to "Take a stand". If the stakeholder (fisho) is not aware of the perils at hand and the duplicitous methods employed by beauracrats and others to bring down the sport, you can hardly expect them to become "excited" about doing anything but sit back and wait & see.

No one is trying to turn these forums into rec shooting forums, we are just trying to say "Hey guys, this could happen to you and your sport just as easily as it did to us". "Don't make the same mistakes".

I'M (WE'RE) ON YOUR SIDE.

vanurose
17-03-2006, 06:04 AM
Thanks Wetaline
We need men like you to stand up for us.
They have banned killing ants in Sweden.
They are trying to outlaw killing ugly useless cane toads now.
Next they want to ban fishing totally.
These bored small minded minorities are usually on the dole and uneducated and nothing else to do but try to make people like us not have any hobbies or interests and they want to make our lives as miserable as theirs.
I totally respect fish and let them all go except when the freezer is empty.
LETS GO MAJORITY
I'm one of the MAJORITY
Cheers
Rose

Gazza
17-03-2006, 06:06 AM
Fishing is FUN ,and a healthy way to get a FEED.

A few gear restrictions, and a "humane" approach, MEATOS will survive....

C&R of legalsize fish is an issue, that CAN come down like a house-of-cards...
or should be allowed in greenzones...no fish aboard.

Derek_Bullock
17-03-2006, 07:11 AM
Did I miss the point that 'baldyhead's' post was referring to the similiarities between the actual demise of rec shooting and the possible demise of rec fishing?

Yes thats true and why I left the original post so the debate could continue. #So lets now continue the debate. However be mindful that this is not a gun laws debate or a debate on whether we should or should not shoot someone.

Thanks to all those who sent messages about where the original post was going and I apologise for not removing it sooner than I did.

Sent you a message Wetaline.

Cheers

Derek

wayne_cook
17-03-2006, 03:28 PM
thought I had some input on the fishing front on this post.

baldyhead
18-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks to all those who sent messages about where the original post was going and I apologise for not removing it sooner than I did.

Unfortunately Derek you appear to have bowed to the MINORITY PRESSURE !
What happened to "Stand Up For Your Rights & Beliefs" & not bow to this MINORITY PRESSURE GROUP. It is quite obvious that the MINORITY that you refer to in the quote above are Anti Gun and have their collective heads buried in the proverbial sand once again.
There have been some very important points raised and explained in the very posts that you overzealously deleted.
SHAME ON YOU DEREK !!!!!
Baldy

el_carpo
19-03-2006, 03:52 AM
I take full responsibility for what had become of the thread. Gun control is my pet peeve and I get very heated when I talk about it. I saw some comments made by some to Baldyhead that I thought were unfair, and I got mad. Mix that with my own feeling towards the issue and I wasn't in a calm mood when I wrote what I wrote. It led to a big mud flinging match mostly between myself and another. The thread left the fishing aspect completely and had become an argument about gun rights. I tried to bring it back to fishing in a later post but it was too late. The fuel I added to the fire made it too big to put out with one post. I think Derek recognized that and acted to keep it from spreading.

I won't appologise for how I feel about gun control and I stand by the points I made and I definately don't regret defending Baldyhead. HOWEVER, I fully understand and accept that I did so in a manner that was selfishly distracting talk from the origional post and its point. I appologise once again for my lack of tact and for not thinking about the consequences and problems my actions would cause. I was right but wrong and I think all I did was give everyone a big headache.

;D There's another topic that gets me even angrier than the gun stuff. I'll let you know if it ever gets mentioned------

On second thought, I don't think I will let you know. ;) I've already done enough for aspirin sales in Australia. ;D

My fault everybody. So we can stop fretting and frowning about about it and get on with whatever it is we should be getting on with. Preferably, fishing but a nice slice of raspberry pie and ice-cream sounds good too.

E.C.

hussy
25-03-2006, 08:52 PM
maybe ivan mellat and martin bryant were just mixed up fisherman who didnt want to give up their right to carry guns. what the ..... do we need guns for anyway? whats fun about blowing the shit out of a rabbit,roo,or pig. hell yeah! its starting to sound like fun to me too now. keep up the good work . see you at the next seige. bob h