View Full Version : Barge Fares Set To Go Up

Derek_Bullock
01-04-2006, 08:04 AM
This sux.

Derek

Barge fares set to go up

By Samantha Peters

Monday, 27 March 2006

Small vehicle owners travelling on barges from Redland Bay to the Southern Moreton Bay Islands will pay more than $20 extra for a return fare next month.
From April 1, Stradbroke Ferries will ditch its differential fare system for small and large cars in favour of a flat fee for all cars.

Small car owners will no longer pay $45 for a return fare to the islands, but the same fare as a large car owner, which will increase from $65 to $69.

In another change, advance bookings for the barge must be now paid up front and non residents will pay $85 to travel to the islands.

Finally, Stradbroke Ferries will be launching another barge service from April 1 in order to provide more frequent services for islanders.

The company is the only barge operator from Redland Bay to the Bay Islands.

Stradbroke Ferries chief executive officer Ron O'Grady said the company had decided to restructure the pricing so it was "more logical".

He said the differential system was unique to the Redland Bay service, and the company's other barge service to North Stradbroke Island did not use it.

However, he said the $69 Bay Island service was still much cheaper than the $99 North Stradbroke Island service, which had the same travel time.

Some islanders were not happy with the new fees.

"It's a ludicrous situation. I am angry," said Merv Sprague of Macleay Island.

Although Merv confessed he wasn't worried about paying an extra $4 for his large car to travel on the barge, he was very concerned about the many pensioners and retirees that lived on the Bay Islands.

"You study what your market can support before you put screws on it in one way or another. It will reflect on the quality of life."

Martyn Osborn of Macleay Island said trucking companies transporting building materials to the islands would pass on the increased fees to the consumers.

More people would have to car pool to the mainland, he said.

"They are a bit hefty in one hit and it just highlights the problems facing the people on the islands with transport, and parking and the issues associated with it, and how difficult it is now and how difficult it will be in the future," Division 5 Councillor John Burns said. "I have had quite a few people approach me about it."

A public meeting will be held at the Community Centre on Macleay Island at 7.30pm next Tuesday, April 4.

Darryl
01-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Derek , at last something in the news section i can comment on and know what i am talking about. I am a Russell Island resident and have lived on the Island on and off for 14 years. When i first come to the Island the barge fees were 28 dollars a car.

The waterbus was 2 dollars return, all be it years ago they were only 18 foot shark cats( was fun). Now i perfectly understand inflation and prices have to go up but they have had a price rise every bloody three months over here as they are the only barge company that is operating here. There was another barge company that tried to operate but of course a price war erupted and the other barge went on to other ventures.

The paying up front thing is really shitting me, we have a teller at the island that is never bloody online, not all of us have bankcards so how in the hell are we suppose to pay before we book, not get on, pay on booking they want. I can go to the RSL and get a cash out but most shops will only give you a 50 dollar cash out and this doesn't even give you the fair.

I wanna know why the price rise? Fuel has been up and down but it certainly hasn't gone through the roof to warrant that expense. Unfortunately for the mainland residents of Redland Bay they have to put up with constant barrage of cars being parked all over the place .

Another thing i will add, is the waterbus no longer allows you too carry anything other than a couple of bags , all other cargo cant be carried . These guys charge 11.50 return. I could do that trip in my boat with a 175 on it flat out and use maybe 3 dollars in petrol, now i understand wages insurance etc but christ .

I will be at the meeting for sure , i will be fighting this all the way, as i find it robbery , simply because they are the only company and squashed a rival company years ago .

Thanks for letting me vent.

PS. took my boat too brenjens last week for an engine refitt , that car and trailer(6m) trailer, cost me 180 bucks. Thats crap.

And as for non residents paying extra WTF ? BLOODY THIEVES THAT CAN PREPARE FOR WAR.

Cheers Darryl

Ow forgot to add i know a few of the deckies, top blokes, one barge uses about 1500 litres of diesel a day and the other ex army barge uses about 2000 from memory.