PDA

View Full Version : Solitary Islands Marine Park waiver.

JewseeTHAT
14-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Anybody else a bit suss about the recent announcement that a select group of "Aboriginal Elders" have been granted a dispensation to carry out "traditional fishing practices" in the park? My opinion is that although it's on the face of it a noble cause, the use of "lines" is very ambiguous and open to abuse. Also, what happened to one country, one law? I mean I know there's one law for us plebs, and one for the rich\famous\politically connected, but where does this sort of dispensation end? Tribal law, sharia law? I'd be interested in your viewpoint.

hussy
15-04-2006, 08:36 AM
i can just imagine traditional fishing practices, next thing exclusive fishing practices for a price. for a select few who are willing to pay.just another case of selling out to minorities. my family has been here 200 years does that make me indiginous to this country .and can i fish there using my familys traditional fishing practices?

wayne_cook
15-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Maybe we should all make the same claim!
On another note if traditional methods are used then maybe.
Dugouts. spears etc.
No outboards line reels or ice (what about rescues did they have coastal patrol or water police life jackets, or would all these be aloud and still called traditional)
It's hard to live in both worlds.
Laws change and so to are traditions lost with them. For ex in the 60s it was non compulsary to ware seat belts now it is, tradition lost.(this is only an ex.what would the rta say if I claimed it was my tradition in the past not to ware seat belts)
Just thoughts.