PDA

View Full Version : Damming The Mary River at Gympie

jack1
04-05-2006, 11:50 AM
As most of you would have heard the news lately that the Beattie Govt has announced to build a mega dam upstream from Gympie, what is the consenus out there. Will the dam kill the Mary River, the fish stocks, the prawns, the food chain in the river, The Great Sandy Straights and Fraser Island. Should we unite with the 700 affected landowners who will loose their properties and protest that they should and could get their water from other more economical and practicable sources.

snakecatcher
08-05-2006, 11:41 AM
I am definitely against the proposal and will certainly do all I can to fight it.

Mike

fish2eat
08-05-2006, 02:44 PM
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Mr Beattie is good at announcing projects.....they just never seem to happen.

SeaHunt
08-05-2006, 02:47 PM
What they have not said is where will the water be used?
Not that many people up there to need a mega dam.
Are they thinking of piping it to Brisbane's Northern Suburbs?

Az
10-05-2006, 12:22 PM
i would say that is what they were planning on doing, but surely there are some better proposals closer to home

jack1
15-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Gday Fish2eat,

I agree with you, I'm confident this will be another Beattie backflip, how many has he had now, I've lost count, what will they be calling him next?

Bundy_Burp
11-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Did anyone else see this article :

Indecisive MP risks expulsion over dam
4:04 PM June 9

Premier Peter Beattie says Noosa MP Cate Molloy will be automatically expelled from the ALP if she defies the Caucus over the Mary River dam.

Ms Molloy has changed her mind half a dozen times this week about whether she will vote against her Government in protest against the dam.

The Premier says he thought he had reached agreement with her yesterday that she would stay with Labor.

Mr Beattie says Ms Molloy's future with the party will be over if she goes ahead with a private member's bill.

"The Caucus solidarity position is very, very clear," he said.

"I would not be expelling anyone from the Labor Party - I wouldn't need to.

"The rules are very clear that if you act outside a Caucus decision then you automatically expel yourself."

Mr Beattie says he had nothing to do with Ms Molloy's absence from Parliament today.

"I don't approve leave for backbenchers - I do for ministers," he said.

"I understand she had some personal things to do and she had leave, bearing in mind this is the Budget debate and it's the fourth day and if you've had your say, you normally go."

dasher
12-06-2006, 11:06 AM
The Save the Mary River campaign is gathering momentum but we need your help. This parliamentary e-petition is quick and easy to sign, but be aware that each person can only do so once!

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/view/EPetitions_qld/CurrentEPetition.aspx?PetNum=664

If the proposed dam on the Mary River in SEQld goes ahead, many will lose their farms, their dreams and their faith.
Endangered species will be wiped out and a wild river will be drowned in a flawed plan.
There are other ways to bring water to SEQld.

For more information visit: www.nodams.org.au or www.savethemaryriver.com. Please help by forwarding this through your own professional and personal networks. Thanks for your support.

tshort
13-06-2006, 06:55 AM
Remember that classic of Ricks (with the silent P) from the young ones, "Fascist bully boy". What about these, "Innovation Innovation Innovation"or "Queensland The smart state". If we dont keep daming rivers like we've done since time began these statements wouldnt be so funny and that would be tragic.