PDA

View Full Version : Desal plant for Tugan? why there?

Jitlands
14-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Beattie & Co along with the peanut we have as our Mayor seem set on building a desalination plant at Tugan.

That is, salt water + power + industrial land = water for the masses

And whilst Tugan has plenty of salt water is has no power, no industrial land and few residents.

Why drag power from Brisbane valley to tugan and then pump water back again?

Surley a desal palnt on the Bremmer at Ipswich, which has power, water, industrial land and the thirsty masses would be a better option?

jim_farrell
14-06-2006, 02:30 PM
I'm no expert but I believe it has to be on the coast due to the high saline content in the water left after the process. This would be pumped back into the ocean nearby for dispersion. IMO this is the biggest concern. Does anyone have research on effects caused by lifting the salt content on the ecosystem.

SgBFish
14-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Your making too much sence Jitlands ;D ;D ;D

Next they'll be telling us we can't flush our motors.

How quickly did they bury the leaky old faulty council water pipes issue that wastes megalitres each day. >:(

Its an economic problem...charge what is worth and people will respect it and that includes the councils. People have considered water a free commodity for too long.

aussiefool
14-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Gee, I thought it was to tick off the rich folk in Golden Four Dr. ;D ;D

Fishin_Dan
14-06-2006, 03:59 PM
ha ha ha! I thought you were going to tell me that they are going to make fuel for my Fourby nearby therefor saving me diesel fuel costs!!! ;D

Just ignore me and my crazy brain!

Bundy_Burp
14-06-2006, 04:17 PM
I think you may have answered your own question when you said :
(no industrial land and few residents)
But then again I'm a loonie queenslander who think we will win tonight so just ignore both myself and Fishin_Dan . :o :o :o

freespool2
14-06-2006, 04:38 PM
another crazy concept from your clowns in local charge.....

Its right up there with Beattie and Blighs cruise ship terminal proposal on the southport spit.......

cheers andy

Jackinthebox
14-06-2006, 04:40 PM
The big question is, when they take the drilling platform away, will there be some sort of structure left behind which might act as a FAD?

INDULGENCE
14-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Things are happenning up and down the coast.
We have been told today that our local council has approved 4 mobile desal units to assist in these low water times.
I am a little lost here as my only experience with desal units has been on fishing boats and we were always told not to drink the desal water until we were at least out of site of land.This was due to the amount of inshore pollution.
Now the council is talking about putting units where there were sewerage outfalls not all that long ago.
Maybe you guys that think the maroons will win tonight should come and drink some of this water instead of bundy

wally

Spaniard_King
14-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Wally,

Drinking the water all depends on the type of desal unit.

For drinkable water from coastlines it must be heated to at least 165 Degrees F to kill all the bugs and filtered to remove all the chemecals/polutants.

Personally I have a problem knowing I could be drinking the water I once Pi$$ed and Shat in some time back. I just dont like that idea for water supplies :-[

I think the desal unit is an emergency fix, good to have it now as as with all major infrastructure projects it would take too long to build later

Garry

Spaniard_King
14-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Its an economic problem...charge what is worth and people will respect it and that includes the councils. People have considered water a free commodity for too long.

I am confused ::)

If the council uses lots of water or puts up the price and they pay like we do...won't they just put up taxes...fees etc to pay there own bills :-?

Last time I looked we payed the councils bills wages etc.

Garry