PDA

View Full Version : Costly Greed

seabug
22-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Just had a report from Borroloola.
A greedy visitor who has been exceeding catch limits on 2 trips has had his 4X4 and boat siezed by fisheries.

Locals were not happy with his actions and reported him.

Fair enough I say.

Regards
Seabug

snakecatcher
22-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Good!

nigelr
22-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Great to see the locals taking a stand. Good on 'em say I.

marlinqld
22-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Good on em.

Go the locals I say. Should be more of it.

Bundy_Burp
22-06-2006, 04:34 PM
I hope fisheries throw the book at them
Its about time some of these clowns got caught .

Ozwald
22-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Havent a clue where Borroloola is but good on 'em anyway. What happens to the confiscated gear - does it get auctioned off?

Lucky_Phill
22-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Borroloola is in the Gulf. Bottom end.

Phill

StevenM
22-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Looks like NT fisheries are doing a good job

Dannyboy
22-06-2006, 07:58 PM
They should print a photo of them in every newpaper in Australia as well as sending there names to every fishing club! >:( >:( >:( >:(

It cost nothing to do the right thing for our sport

Seahorse
22-06-2006, 08:26 PM
should happen more often here

Craigus
22-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Great!

It should happen more often to offenders

TinarooTriumph
22-06-2006, 09:44 PM
I need a boat and a 4WD. Send em' over here ;D

Theo 8-)

madmix
22-06-2006, 11:07 PM
sounds like a netter, not your average amateur.
Used to be a great place,Borroloola, but hav,t been
been there since about 1995.
Confiscation of cars and boats for illegal fishing has been
standard practice in NT for nearly 30 years.

aussiefool
23-06-2006, 02:39 AM
Hope he enjoys the walk home ;D at least he will have some thing to think about

grenadier
23-06-2006, 10:24 AM
too bad that the authorities aren't at every fishing spot he would be only 1 in a 1000 maybe a 100000 who actually get caught and he was dobbed in by locals. what about all the others who do it shame they can't catch them. who takes more than a feed anyway. to go fishing is fun to catch a fish is a bonus i say. then you get the others that catch a fish take it home and feed to the bin or the cat for f#@k sake. catch and release until you catch a descent feed.

the way its goin my young ones will be lookin at fish and crabs in a meuseum.

madmix
23-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Sea Hawk,
Have got to take umbrage at your figures mate,
This is obviously a netter/poacher, not your average amateur. and all
australian state fisheries departments and even GBRMPA have stated at
one time or another, that 99% of recreational fishers do the right thing
and abide by regulations.
You obviously have little knowledge of the Northern Territory and in
particular Borroloola. Many people from central australia, travel
thousands of kilometres to camp and fish in this remote area, often
for a month or two. They cart large amounts of fuel and all other
supplies including freezers full of meat. as the meat is eaten it is
replaced with fish and crabs which is taken home as supplies for
the next twelve months or so. Most freezers are hardly ever half full
of fish, as any Territorian will tell you fishing is all about drinking
piss and having a good time with your mates/family

As far as I know, Barramundi is stil the only regulated fish in the NT
and 99.9% of amateurs never catch let alone keep their bag limit.

cheers Mick

madmix
23-06-2006, 11:20 AM
By the way sea hawk,
are you aware that Malcolm FRAZER, was not prosecuted
for illegal fishing in arnhem land, while prime minister of this
great democracy, approximately 1980

cheers Mick

Gummtree
23-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Would't it be nice if all the revenue that was raised in taxes from fishing, (regos, excise, sales tax etc) all went back into proper management of the our favourite sport. Maybe then we might see a bit of checking going on. Good on the locals, should be more of them.

flatstrap
23-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Just wondering if the post would read differently if the charged fishing person was of Asian appearance.
It shouldn't because it's not relevant to the story like it has been reported here.

flatstrap

fish2eat
23-06-2006, 02:54 PM
you won't find them fishing at Borroloola, the fish are waaaaaay too big !!! ;D ;D

madmix
23-06-2006, 04:35 PM
made some enquires, chap in question has been
suspected of illegal fishing for several years and
was finally located by police while in actual possession
of large (allegedly Commercial) quantity of regulated
reef fish and Barramundi.

Reef fish are now also regulated in the N.T. so that was
something else I learnt, just in case I decide to go back for
a quick fish.

So definetly not you average amateur fisho, no mention
of him being dobbed in, however if he was well done, and it
would be quite understandable, as everyone in Borroloola is an
amateur fisho, and as most of us know 99.9% of us do the right
thing.

cheers Mick

tunaman
23-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Always respect the locals because they live there and they were here first. I'm a doppy new south welshman and even I know that.
Good on the locals and top call. If we all do the right thing, there will be fish for everyone.

signed
tunaman :D

land_based
24-06-2006, 12:58 AM
GREAT GUNS!!!! Well done to the locals and to the fisheries!!!!

flatstrap
24-06-2006, 07:33 AM
I believe that this forum's main function is an exchange of ideas and ultimately education.

Fish2eat;
Are you saying that Asians only catch and eat small fish?
That's another fine example of racial profiling that has no place in today's Australia.
C'mon man, get with it! Words are powerful things and should not be misused.
Gotta stop this cycle...flatstrap

TonyM
24-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Should be more of it for sure! (nailing them that is) :)

Race shouldn't come into it at all - anyone abusing our fisheries and acting as though the regulations in place don't apply to them should get nailed - and taking away the car and/or boat is a great heads up so they might remember not to next time ;) ;D

thesimmos
24-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Yes you heard it they took my car and boat!

Now I wish they would give them back...

It doesnt say anywhere I cant catch my bag limit take them home and then go back out again..

I was well within my bag limits!!

Simmo. :)

hussy
24-06-2006, 11:51 AM
you cant catch your bag limit ,take them home then catch yor bag limit again i,m pretty sure of that, could be wrong, but always thought in your possession meant your freezer as well. hussy ps how did this thread turn into a race related thing again , as per usual ,

thesimmos
24-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Hussy,

Its ok people pick on us Asians all the time..

People just jelous because when we are 15 or 16 we can borrow our older brothers drivers licence and go to the pub!

On that comment of us only taking the small fish or at least something along those lines.. It is just because we are not very good fisherman like you thats all.

My father always say to me: Take what you can because it may be gone tomorrow.

Simmo

hussy
24-06-2006, 01:44 PM
i think your having a lend of us simmo.

thesimmos
24-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Damn! My cover is blown!

You got me Hussy... or should I say Sherlock.. :)

In regards to the story, I sit on the side of ensuring I can go fishing in 10 years time and still enjoy a good feed.

I am originally from Sydney and fishing down there is a waste of time, which I am sure you are all aware.

There are more problems with fish than just over fishing. You just need to look and see what Orica has done to Botany and I am sure you all know that they have signs up warning not to fish in Sydney harbour, it is just toxic. They say it should be ok in 100 years time.. Thats nice isnt it?

I agree with one of the other lads comments about shaming these people that over fish and no greater shame can be given than by their fellow fisherman.

Recently I went to a local fishing club. I was impressed to find that they introduced their own spieces size limits which where in some cases 5cm or more than the standard sizes. That is an excellent step forward in promoting responsible fishing.

Simmo

For more information on:

Sydney Harbour
http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/c-dioxins.htm

Orica and Botany
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Toxic-plumes-spread-to-citys-edge/2005/03/30/1111862468318.html

borisdog
24-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Flatstrap - I believe it was you that bought the subject to the fore. If you don't think it's relevant then don't bring it up. The post is about someone exceeding bag limits and copping the force of the law. Stay with the topic. I don't care who it was, they broke the law (allegedly) and have been dealt with accordingly.

flatstrap
24-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Borisdog,
I only brought it up because of the imbalance in reporting. If the culprit is Asian, it is mentioned. If it's Caucasian nothing is said. Surely the relevance is equal in both instances, i.e., that it has no relevance to the story.

Just to make it crystal clear:
If you don't mention 'of Asian appearance' when referring to an improper act then equally it shouldn't be mentioned when a Caucasian does it.

The question you have to ask is, Would you accept BIASED reporting?

That is CLEARLY not happening here. That's why I mentioned it. All I'm emphasising is even handedness.
It sounds pedantic and subtle but racial profiling in all its forms is like that..flatstrap

thesimmos
24-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Flatstrap,

The reason why it is reported that way is unfortunately is it true that in the top end alot of asians are the culprits..

It doesnt sounds fair because it is commonly them..

Example: In Sydney most of the times people where assulted or whatever by people of a certain type of appearance.. then Cronulla riots broke out... I dont agree they should have done such a thing but unforunately it happened because the statistics where so high relating to what was happening and who was doing it...

I dont want to get into a heated debate because I will win anyway :) but the truth is unfortunately it is asians doing it most of the time.. unfortunately they get their boats confiscated and massive fines.. unfortunately it is an endless cycle because to pay the fine they need to do the whole thing again...

Contradiction is balance.. such is life... it all means the same thing..

Simmo.

Mad_fisherman
25-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Home > Police > Media > News > 2006 > May
Media Release
Monday 29 May 2006 (1125 hrs CST)
Illegal fishing operation in Borroloola
Early Sunday morning members from Borroloola police apprehended a couple as they were leaving Borroloola and carried out a road side search of their vehicle.

A 63-year-old man and 62-year-old woman were found in possession of a large quantity of fresh fish from managed and non-managed species, whole and filleted – the result of three week's fishing. Neither party has a valid commercial fishing permit.

Members from Darwin's Marine and Fisheries Enforcement Section arrived in Borroloola yesterday to assist the local police with their investigations.

A search warrant was issued to search a property, in King Ash Bay, of a 37-year-old man in connection with this offence.

Two men aged 37 and 63 and a 62-year-old woman has been summonsed for Exceeding Amateur Possession Limits under the Northern Territory of Australia Fisheries Act. They are to appear at the next sitting of the Borroloola Court in July.

Their vehicle, freezers, fish and fishing equipment, as well as two dinghies, have been seized in relation to these offences under the Fisheries Act.

Media contact:
Lorraine Hook
Telephone: 8922 3365

One ofr the Asians

Fire flares on illegal fishing boats
Friday, 9 June 2006. 09:19 (AEDT)Friday, 9 June 2006. 08:19 (ACST)Friday, 9 June 2006. 08:19 (AEST)Friday, 9 June 2006. 09:19 (ACDT)Friday, 9 June 2006. 06:19 (AWST)
Fire has again broken out on two suspected Chinese illegal fishing boats being held in Darwin Harbour.

Northern Territory Police say heat from an exhaust pipe probably started the fire.

They say fishing nets were leaning against the boats' exhaust pipes while the engines were running, to ensure the 55 tonnes of suspected illegal catch on board stayed frozen.

Police say the nets caught fire on Wednesday night and reignited last night and that the fire spread to both boats each time.

Police say the boats are completely burnt out.

The captains of the Chinese trawlers are in Berrimah jail awaiting court, accused of resisting arrest and of being in the Australian fishing zone without having their nets properly stowed.

It is the first time Chinese nationals have faced such charges in Australia.

Their lawyer says the men will be vigorously defending the charges.

borisdog
25-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Yep fair enough flatstrap. Some of the worst offenders in my area are the "Grey Nomads", come up here in absolute droves in winter and you're dead right, most of them are "of caucasian appearance". I'll exit now.

flatstrap
25-06-2006, 09:18 PM
borisdog,
I acknowledge your modified POV. I just appreciate accurate non-biased reporting. BUT NOT EXCUSING ANY wrongdoer. Same penalty for all.

Simmo:
Don't let the facts get in the way of your good story. If you read the latest census of prison inmates in Australia, MAJORITY are Caucasian and locally born, The WORLD'S no 1 killing spree mass murderer is Martyn Bryant. So is Ivan Milat. Stephen Knight in Vic. The Oklahoma Bomber Tim McVeigh is Caucasian yet I will NEVER say that Caucasians are bloody murderers.
But.......... if you just like the sound of your own voice, watch your words because words are powerful things and they can hurt and alienate people or bring people together for a common good. The trick is to choose which ones you use...flatstrap

thesimmos
26-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Jocky,

I dont have a nice thing to say so best not say it but a picture is worth a thousand words.

So I found you a nice hat for you to wear when you go fishing.

Enjoy,

Simmo

PS, Does anyone else think that is a young Paul Mecuro modelling the hat?