PDA

View Full Version : Terry Hill Lobster Poaching Case

fish2eat
09-05-2006, 09:46 AM
Wondered what happenned to this, report from Sydney papers below

Poaching denial

By MARK NOLAN

April 22, 2006

SUFFERING an injured knee and an attack of nerves, former league star Terry Hill limped into court with his brother-in-law Scott Fulton yesterday to tackle lobster poaching charges.

The former Manly Sea Eagles teammates each face 10 charges carrying a total maximum penalty of $84,700 and a year in jail after a seven-week investigation by the Department of Primary Industries.

Both have been charged with unlawfully using lobster traps, possessing fish taken illegally, failing to pay a recreational fishing fee and seven counts of interfering with set fishing gear in relation to the December 29 incident on Broken Bay.

Hill and Fulton, son of league legend Bobby Fulton, yesterday pleaded not guilty to all charges at Gosford Local Court.

The pair, dressed in suits, stood silently at the rear of the courtroom as their lawyer Keith Bagley denied the charges on their behalf.

The pair allegedly used seven lobster traps at Middle and Box Heads in Broken Bay at dawn on December 29. By law only one lobster trap can be used per person at any one time.

It is alleged the pair were in possession of at least one lobster on December 29 at 5.30am at Middle Head.

They allegedly interfered with seven commercial lobster traps without the authority of the owner at Middle and Box Heads within the space of 15 minutes between 5.30am and 5.45am.

A complaint by fisherman Tom Van de Noot who owns the lobster pots involved in the alleged offences triggered the investigation.

Hill, who is married to Fulton's sister Kristie, didn't appreciate media attention when he arrived at court.

"Go away. Don't do this to me now," a nervous Hill said when approached by The Saturday Daily Telegraph.

Hill and Fulton later attempted to out-run the media after their appearance, running up a hill at the side of the courthouse to get to their vehicle.

"Wait for me," Hill yelled out to a fitter Fulton as his injured knee forced him to stop for a rest.

Magistrate Gary Cocks set the matter down for hearing on August 21.

dasher
09-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Wondered what happenned to this, report from Sydney papers below

Poaching denial

By MARK NOLAN

April 22, 2006

SUFFERING an injured knee and an attack of nerves, former league star Terry Hill limped into court with his brother-in-law Scott Fulton yesterday to tackle lobster poaching charges.

The former Manly Sea Eagles teammates each face 10 charges carrying a total maximum penalty of $84,700 and a year in jail after a seven-week investigation by the Department of Primary Industries.

Both have been charged with unlawfully using lobster traps, possessing fish taken illegally, failing to pay a recreational fishing fee and seven counts of interfering with set fishing gear in relation to the December 29 incident on Broken Bay.

Hill and Fulton, son of league legend Bobby Fulton, yesterday pleaded not guilty to all charges at Gosford Local Court.

The pair, dressed in suits, stood silently at the rear of the courtroom as their lawyer Keith Bagley denied the charges on their behalf.

The pair allegedly used seven lobster traps at Middle and Box Heads in Broken Bay at dawn on December 29. By law only one lobster trap can be used per person at any one time.

It is alleged the pair were in possession of at least one lobster on December 29 at 5.30am at Middle Head.

They allegedly interfered with seven commercial lobster traps without the authority of the owner at Middle and Box Heads within the space of 15 minutes between 5.30am and 5.45am.

A complaint by fisherman Tom Van de Noot who owns the lobster pots involved in the alleged offences triggered the investigation.

Hill, who is married to Fulton's sister Kristie, didn't appreciate media attention when he arrived at court.

"Go away. Don't do this to me now," a nervous Hill said when approached by The Saturday Daily Telegraph.

Hill and Fulton later attempted to out-run the media after their appearance, running up a hill at the side of the courthouse to get to their vehicle.

"Wait for me," Hill yelled out to a fitter Fulton as his injured knee forced him to stop for a rest.

Magistrate Gary Cocks set the matter down for hearing on August 21.

;)

Argle
09-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Hope they take em to the cleaners, no one is above the law, make an example of the bastards just the same as anyone else. Amount those prick$ earn they could afford to go out and buy a few crays >:( >:(

Cheers and beers

Scott

karana
09-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Given the possible size of the fines it would have been better to have beaten up a fish shop owner and to have stolen the lobsters.

I have a great deal of difficulty understanding the draconian level of possible fines.

finding_time
09-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Mate if there convicted of lifting other peoples pots eg: STEALING they deserve everything they get and more!!!!! Nothing pi$$es me off more that the pot lifting stealing B@st@rds!!!

Ian

karana
09-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Can't abide a pot lifter myself but ask you local court what folks get in penalties for car theft and then ask yourself which is worse.

wayne_cook
09-05-2006, 07:06 PM
I hope fisheries have done there homework.
I can see another non conviction coming up.

rando
10-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Can't abide a pot lifter myself but ask you local court what folks get in penalties for car theft and then ask yourself which is worse.

Theft is theft,,
thats all there is to it ,, throw the book at the bastards
rando

Az
11-05-2006, 11:23 AM
hehe would love to have seen the look on hills face when he was caught red handed ;D

I wonder how many times they have pulled this scam

theiving bastards, lets hope they make an example of them

Thud
12-05-2006, 08:49 AM
Hmm,
The case is yet to be tried but several people already know they are guilty as charged. Maybe we should just get the vigilantes together and save the cost of a real trial.
What ever happened to the presumption of innocence until guilt is proven?

And yes, I believe that if they are found guilty, relevant charges should apply. Just not prepared to hang someone on a media say so.

Cheers,
Thud..

JewseeTHAT
12-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Geez Thud, way to make friends... calm cool responsible reason... the lynchmob aren't gonna like you mate. Lucky we have a judiciary in this country, eh?

nonibbles
13-05-2006, 11:31 PM
sheesh thoshe lobshtersh shure shnap. Letsh shee if our pershonalitiesh will get ush off. Thatsh Lowesh! Ekshtra Lowe! Shilly buggarsh.

Throw the book at them and set an exshample (if they are guilty).

damons33
17-05-2006, 07:58 PM
lucky?
our judiciary system is one that give pedo's slaps on the wrist for fiddling lill' kids'
or white collar thieves a lill' holiday for steallin millions.
bring back the public "block n stocks, the cat n the iron maiden"
that'll fix em'
;)

rick_k
21-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Hi Karana,

I think the penalties quoted are maximums, and usually for fisheries offences that I have seen reported, the actual penalty is a fraction of the max.

Bundy_Burp
08-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Pesonally I think all they get is a token fine and some community service .
But the Department of Primary Industries will have spent thousands of tax payers money on the case .
Typical of our court system the rich get richer and the poorer well stuff them typical bl**dy typical .

hussy
09-06-2006, 03:07 AM
you a blues supporter thud?

lock
11-06-2006, 05:50 AM
If they are guilty I hope they get what they deserve . But they have to be proven guilty first.

Feral
11-06-2006, 07:37 AM
What ever happened to the presumption of innocence until guilt is proven?

John Howard and Anti Terror laws or Industrial relations laws ring a bell?

gunnabuild1
02-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Their lawyers will get richer and they will talk to some terminally ill kid for 15 minutes and sign an autograph or two for community service.Same old routine.

stubbie
06-07-2006, 04:40 PM
you a blues supporter thud?

Here, here [smiley=thumbup.gif]

flatstrap
08-07-2006, 07:47 AM
In Australia, as in other parts of the world, there is a LEGAL system; nothing about a justice system. Sooner or later all of us will be involved in one way or another with the legal system and the result is....

It has nothing to do with justice. You will leave the court shaking your head and wondering what happened in there!

It isn't a perfect method for settling disputes but what's the alternative?
flatstrap