PDA

View Full Version : Pollys in it for themselves.

tshort
25-07-2006, 07:06 AM
Mr Beaty admits that planning to treat waste water to potable stamdard for Brissos would be political suicide and thought politicians at this level were supposed to be there for the good of the state. Heres Gorby telling all from experience that dams dont work and nuclear energy should be the last resort, but whos listening. So much for the Mary valley or the lung fish blah-blah-blah, Saw a label yesterday from chemists in Woolworths complex, under the word Woolworths was a picture of a happy PLATYPUS, now thats marketing.

Camo
25-07-2006, 09:46 AM
I have no problem drinking recycled purified water, I can't see the problem. #If you saw some of the dead things floating in reservoirs now you would think twice about drinking tap water. #Stopping treated sewerage flowing into the bay would have to be a plus for fishing as well.

What we need are politicians with some guts who make a decision and stick to it, even if it is unpopular. #People want leaders who lead, not leaders who dither and try to get consensus.

Camo

Jeremy
25-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Mr Beaty admits that planning to treat waste water to potable stamdard for Brissos would be political suicide and thought politicians at this level were supposed to be there for the good of the state. Heres Gorby telling all from experience that dams dont work and nuclear energy should be the last resort, but whos listening.

EVERYONE had their own agenda. Polliticians at all levels are only in it for themselves, with very few exceptions. Same for the green movements. Have to scream "end of the world" to get more funding. Don't believe a word you hear or read, including this :o :o

Jeremy

Fishing_Widow
25-07-2006, 10:14 AM
I agree, there is nothing wrong with recycled waste water. The filtration systems that this water will go through is amazing. It will probably be better than anything we get out of the taps. It is just the Yuk factor that is putting everyone off.

Bring it on Peter. It wil also mean that people won't loose their farm lands and houses. Step into the future everyone will be going there soon.

Nomes

Dirtysanchez
25-07-2006, 10:19 AM
They have been doing it ini parts of Asia and Europe for years !

Recently the Courier Mail invited a few people to taste test different waters, including recycled water from Singapore.. Some were able to discern the bottled water, most said Brissy water tasted like Pool water, which is due to them having to bombard it with chemicals now because the dams are so low, but most didn't really notice a huge difference with the recycled water.

Even if they were able to convert the system so it did your toilets, and out door taps for gardens / car / /boat washing and left the original dam water for drinking, cooking and bathing it would save a massive amount of resource!

Starting to sound like Allan jones eh ? eek ! :-?

tshort
25-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Yep, there was one biologist on the weekend claiming the water treatment there proposing at Toowoomba would sanitise it to a state usable for kidney dialysis, yet there going to pump that water back into the dam, what the?

shaman
25-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Read somewhere (might have been ausfish :-/) that in Europe the average glass of water has been through 3 sets of kidneys :o :o

Dirtysanchez
25-07-2006, 02:20 PM
No average glass of water will ever see the inside of my 3 kidneys

Sorrry :D

shaman
25-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Hey 'Sanchez, you're just still "dirty" about those Vietcong Prawns upsetting your 3 lower intestines ;D ;D.................Billy

tshort
25-07-2006, 02:55 PM
and come to think of it if you have to mix water with you drinks why bother drinking it at all.

shaman
25-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Easy elprez, just dont mix water with 'em. I drink my bourban straight-up
already.................................washed down with a Corona of course.......
................................. 8-) 8-) [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]
I wonder what type of water they use in Mexico, I don't think I wanna know..................................Billy

puks
25-07-2006, 04:10 PM
well
seeing the dams are so low and the drought ongoing i am for the recycled water

first of all you don't taste a difference
esp not to the tap water that i personally cant drink and in summer smelling the chlorine that comes out of the tap makes me think
this cant be good for ya

as being said, parts of Europe and Asia use recycled water and they are still alive
i know its a hard concept to wrap ones mind around with the "through 3 sets of kidney thing" but looking at the future i think it's one that we should learn to deal with

uh mm somehow this argument reminds me of discussion i had with my mother in law about fluoride in the water for stronger teeth and bones ( i benefited from that back in Europe)

one thing i want to say too is rather recycled water then nuclear power
but if i say that too loud i might be used as bait on north straddie ;)

just my two cents worth

regards anya --

ps :that spelchek thing is great

insideout
25-07-2006, 04:57 PM
i am all for ways to conserve water , and do my bit by showering with the missus every night , amongst other things, but i cannot for the life of me bring myself to drink recycled water. Yea , for sure there is the yuck factor , but i believe that , even in europe , that they cannot get all the heavy metals( created by human waste) out of the water. Sure it looks clean, but is it ????

puks
25-07-2006, 05:29 PM
thats a fair point
how safe is it ?
http://www.melbournewater.com.au/content/library/current_projects/werribee_irrigation_district_recycled_water_projec t/downloadable_documents/recycled_water_and_health.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recycled_water

well these are just two links
but i m still googleing for more info
apparently it can be treated to safe drinking standards

but even if not it could be used for firefighting ,irrigation, washing cars and boats or houses and all those things
that would make a huge difference i think
grey water for irrigation would be a good idea too
rainwater tanks as well
but in the long run something needs to be done and figured out

which brings me to a different question that popped into my head the other day seeing council trucks watering the side of the street
what water do they use?? do council have rainwater tanks ? why not use grey water for jobs like that ?

there isnt enuff water anymore so we do need help

regards anya (who always got annoyed seeing some water their lawn when it definetly looked like rain #[smiley=angryfire.gif])

Camo
25-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Apparently the reverse osmosis filters that are used, can filter the salt out of water. If they can take the salt out, then just about everything else is taken out. There are not many molecules, smaller than a salt molecule, bacteria and viruses included.

Camo

PinHead
25-07-2006, 06:51 PM
After seeing what happens to the power grid when no maintenance is done...what will happen if this goes ahead and no maintenance is done...filtration plants fail..turn on the tap and you get raw sewage..not for me thanks..build the dams.

choppa
25-07-2006, 08:02 PM
i am all for ways to conserve water , and do my bit by showering with the missus every night ,

well,,,, if it means that the choppa has to help out and save a few drops,,, put my name down mate,,,,

(as long as the missus insideout doesn't mind too much ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D)

Bundy_Burp
25-07-2006, 09:22 PM
I dont think recycling waste water will ever catch on towoomba is having all sorts of problems trying to convince people its a good idea and I dont think the government is winning any votes . I personally think desalination is they way to go even though the cost is higher I think its a better solution . Also a few extra pipelines into areas which do have an excess of water wouldnt hurt either . Typical of most governments though I am sure they will try and go as cheap as possible but no surprise is it now .

Bundy

PinHead
26-07-2006, 05:27 AM
Bundy...desalinaton and a pipeline are both reasonable ideas...but the costs for both are astronomical..plus...with all this hoo haa about greenhouse gases then the power required for both is also astronomical. Build a nuclear power station next to a desal. plant and all is solved.

The best solution...hope like hell there is lots of rain soon in the catchment areas.

tshort
26-07-2006, 07:17 AM
RO and then infra red? treatment as well.

tshort
27-07-2006, 04:35 AM
Sorry that should be ultra-violet, must be the aluminium from the vans giving me oldcrafts disease.

hicksy
27-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Recently I went to the Caboolture water treatment plant. Here they produce 9 million litres of water a day from sewerage. This is then pumped into the river down stream of where the drinking water is collected. What a waste.

The total shire usage at the time of my visit was 20 million litres a day.

Recyclyed water makes sense.

I understand peoples concerns. It is a mind over matter thing.

Like some others have suggested, what would be wrong with a single line going into every single house to water lawns, plants etc. Wash cars, boats etc.

Local councils could make developers do this when new estates are built and state governments could retro fit existing water systems.

Cleaner for the bay & better for fishing.

Congratulations Peter Beattie and Labor lets hope it happens.

Hicksy

tshort
28-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Hicksy, just had a read up on the Caboolture river, this sewerage outlet sounds like it must be upstream from the weir, is it ?

hicksy
28-07-2006, 07:39 AM
Elprez,
When I visited the plant they told me it had to be pumped back into the river below the weir. That way it had no chance of mixing with drinking water they take from the river.

Hicksy

tiny_tinny
28-07-2006, 07:43 AM
Throughout Australia (and the rest of the world), wherever a town or city takes its water from a dam or river, they most likely are using treated waste water (i.e. sewage) from towns or cities upstream of them. In addition, the water in the dam or river contains runoff from farms with cattle, sheep or other animals, and their poo is flushed into the waterways without being treated.

As other posters have said, it happens all over the world. The quality of Australia's drinking water is world standard. The unfortunate outcome of using treated waste water is that the number of nongs who drink bottled water for "health" reasons will increase.

Mike

tshort
28-07-2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks hicksy, that was a good report. I used to live in a Western Queensland town and as you know towns are build where possible on the reliable water holes in river systems that dont run often. Here they usually build saleyards, sewerage treatment plants, batching plants, Livestock tranport wash down areas etc. etc. etc. as well as being the only spot for any water recreation for 1000 K's . The water is constantly murky and when it runs even worse from the overgrazing practices and uncontrolled water points of the sheep and cattle industry along their entire length. Its then treated and pumped into town as it has been done for god knows how long. They always used to reckon western people were slow, but I dont think it was due to the water. Ive heard another story that theyre scared of the effect on males with some female hormones that are said not able to be extracted in the treatment process, but I wouldnt call the blokes are there girls either, not to their face anyway.

castlemaine
28-07-2006, 05:42 PM
this is why a mate of mine doesn't drink anything that doesn't come out of bottles. XXXX is his main drink. Cheers, hic!

PinHead
28-07-2006, 06:39 PM
hicksy...who would pay to duplicate the entire water system in the state?
There is one problem with all this debate over the water...all the ideas that are not financially possible or are not feasible..eg Burdekin to Wivenhoe pipe..recycled pipe into every home..cannot be done within any form of financial constraint.

The only answer other than new dams is rain..and lots of it.

hicksy
30-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Pinhead,
If you don't start somewhere you don't start at all.
Like I said the local councils could enforce this on developers who plan new estates and state governments could assist councils financially to retrofit the current system. It might take twenty years to do the lot but sure beats waiting for rain.
Whilst I see the vote was noin toowoomba I really think most Queenslanders wouldlove the opportunity to water their yards, wash their cars and clean their boats without having to worry about the water police.

Regards
Hicksy

tshort
31-07-2006, 06:41 AM
I'm pretty sure the leader of the No vote was a bloke that owned heaps of land that he developed for housing in Toowoomba. Wants the developoment but not the responsibilities.

PinHead
31-07-2006, 06:33 PM
with some of the ideas getting around, water would be more expensive than petrol.
As for watering gardens..let the bloody plants die..cars and boats will survive without a wash..mine does.

netfish
02-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Industry uses more water for industrial purposes than the private sector uses for household needs. Use recycled water there.

tunaman
02-08-2006, 10:29 PM
Its just the thought of it! You pour a glass of water, and you wonder
how many of your neighours, helped to make it. :o

signed tunaman

tshort
03-08-2006, 09:51 AM
The last big emdia (Government) event I remember was all the noise about the GST how it was going to bring the nation to its knees blah, blah,blah. Dont hear much about it now do you. People just got over it and got on with it.

gif
03-08-2006, 04:02 PM
But the GST did give us the Barrier Reef Closures and all the pain of business closures that followed.

To get the GST through the Senate Howard did a deal with the Democrats and swapped it for reef closures ...

Gary