PDA

View Full Version : ** FOR SALE. MORETON BAY, CLOSING DOWN SOON **

MulletMan
27-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Back from a few weeks R & R, my rumour net produced a little titbit reference the above topic!

Yep, we may have left the run too late guys...........

Remember about five or six months ago I posted a topic something like "WILL YOU FIGHT FOR YOUR FISHING RIGHTS?' and another "DAD, WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE FISHING STOPPED?"
Out of well over a thousand readers or so, the awesome number of I think, SIX (6) said "yep, I'm in for the fight!"

Well the fight is now here; as in next Tuesday night!!

The potential large scale or TOTAL closure of the Bay has been such a well kept secret by the Fish Kissers and Seaweed Suckers that the local Federal Member Mr. Andrew Laming finally got wind of it and in sheer consternation has called an immediate community meeting with us Boaties, Netters and reps from B & F, DPI, Fishing Party etc.

Now when an MP does this you have to believe he has some pretty valid facts to work from - and he is on our side!

There will be an ititial "closed door" meeting between the wheels of the industry at 5.30 pm and we all thunder in by the thousands at 6.30 pm to hear out fate! And you have to appreciate that if a half dozen of us waffle along then the powers to be will confirm their already held beliefs that we are a bunch of leaderless moaning fishos!

Can you imagine if the local rag got a picture of us shouting, placard bearing protestors about the place ( .... and I can get the reporters down there!) and the impact it would have on the Pollies?

But ever the pessimist, I truly believe we will also lose this one and possibly only chance we have to make ourselves heard - maybe a dozen, give or take a few and then all over Red Rover if that happens!!!

The action will be at:

CLEVELAND SANDS HOTEL
CLEVELAND

Our meeting starts at 6.30 pm

Heaps of parking spots at the pub in in the underground Coles parking lot.

I'll keep checking on it and if it goes pear shaped, will put up an appropriate post before the time!

So this is it guys!

Time to piss or get off the pot!

Jeremy87
27-07-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm not much of a politics person but if you put a petition together and post it up here you can be certain that i'll put my signature on it.

mowerman
27-07-2006, 09:02 PM
A copy of the petition can be downloaded from the link below

Print a copy out, get as many signatures as you can and either present it on the night or post to
Po Box 1011 Capalaba 4157.

This is SERIOUS.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
27-07-2006, 09:19 PM
From where I sit and from what I've read and heard, I honestly don't believe this is half the malestrom that it is portrayed in this post to be. With all respect PP, I do think your extreme concerns, at this point in time, may be a little too emotional. Time will tell of course.

Cheers
Dave

mowerman
27-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Have a read of this article.

http://bayjournal.com.au/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=683&Itemid=52

NEWBY
27-07-2006, 09:59 PM
PP, I share your concern and after hearing a bit of news where the do gooders have actually stopped photographers taking pictures of historical buildings in a suburb of Victoria, I fear greatly for our future of being able to fish when and where we bloody well want to. That shows anything is possible. We, as fishers, should never have stood for any closures what so ever even though they probably were necessary, you have to fight fire with fire. They go to extremes, we have to go to the other extreme otherwise they chip away to their ultimate goal. NO MORE FISHING. I wish you all luck and will certainly take up the fight if and when it gets to Gladstone.

NEWBY

Fafnir
27-07-2006, 10:39 PM
From where I sit and from what I've read and heard, I honestly don't believe this is half the malestrom that it is portrayed in this post to be. With all respect PP, I do think your extreme concerns, at this point in time, may be a little too emotional. Time will tell of course.

I can only hope that you're right, but I for one will not be taking any chances by sitting on my backside in front of the TV for the night. Count me in PP, if nothing else, I will at least be one more bum on the seat in what I hope will be a very crowded gathering.

MulletMan
27-07-2006, 10:40 PM
You may be right Reel Nauti, I don't know if they are "extreme concerns" - just statement of fact!

A guy called Custer had a reputation for underestimating things also ............

"Indians? What Indians?"

tshort
28-07-2006, 09:00 AM
You are lucky in the fact you should have numbers in such a populated area, some pollys may listen if and only if it looks like effecting their numbers. People that live 100 Ks away dont fish or dont fish in the imediately effected areas wont give a rats. I got involved with the Straits, researched, submissions, signed petitions and attended meetings, questioned the Gov. on figures they were using in the calculations to which they still can give no answer. The saddest part was that it was all a forgone conclusion and merely an exercise to say we went through the consultative process with the public. The meeting I went to, the room was full, not many had done their homework, some of the questioning was way off line and most sat and said absolutely nothing then boasted that they were there front and centre, but what for, so they could be a blow hard where no-one of any importance was listening. I wish you the best of luck and hope a decent percentage of those who attend any meetings to have done some research prior but I live 100 K's away so.

Noelm
28-07-2006, 09:48 AM
I thought long and hard before I wrote this, and I am sure I will get a lot of sh1t for it, but here goes, lets get this straight as well I am NOT a pro, just a family fisho like most of you, but it seems a BIT hypocritical that every day there is someone crying, stop the pros, stop the netting, whatever, BUt as soon as someone says "marine park" and "no fishing" it is an outrage?? it smacks of everything is OK as long as it does not effect ME then it is a crime, how about the japs "finning" sharks, I agree it is a deplorable act, but, is it any worse than a game fishing comp when a big shark is weighed and photographed, the unceremoniously towed out to sea and dumped?? you see stickers on the back of cars "release the marlin" when was the last time you saw a "release the toads" sticker?? now let make this clear, I am not some sort of tree hugging, gay, green lesbian hippie, but life is a two way street and sometimes sh1t happens and it does encroach on OUR fishing/lifestyle but it does not make it wrong.
NOEL

Tinn
28-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Does anyone know what parts of the bay they are trying to close? because I don't beleive they can close the whole bay down the tourisim and economy would suffer.

tshort
28-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Love it Noelm, if you know any thgglh's can you introduce me to them. Reminded me of a mate and I looking into screen printing T shirts back in the seventies. They were to read land rights for gay wales, we thought that just about summed it up realy.

Noelm
28-07-2006, 11:55 AM
yes there was a lot of green, gay, lesbian, tree kissing whales demanding land rights back then! especially if you had "mushroom soup" or smoked funny cigarettes

PinHead
28-07-2006, 03:19 PM
PP..why don't you demand that the "closed door" meeting be a public meeting...if you let people meet behind closed doors then anything can happen.

What is the purpose or agenda of the meeting anyway??
Has anything been issued officially regarding closures etc???

castlemaine
28-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Heard a talk from a guy from the Fisher Party recently. From what I got from it (correct me if I'm wrong) ... 30% of the bay will be closed off to fishing. 70% will be available to be fished but going by what they've done to the Barrier Reef the 30% will be designated around prime fishing spots ie Mud, Peel, Green, Moreton Islands.
Already in place, around the Hervey Bay area you're only allowed one rod per person. So if you're in a boat you can't bottom bash and have floating-rig at the same time.
American green group ( I can't remember their name) have a comic aimed for kids claiming your father is a killer due to catching fish.
Remember 10% of fishers catch 90% of the fish(bag limit in place), for the rest of us 'fish is only a bonus' so if I can't drop a line in the bay with my family in anticipation of a fish, I'll sell my tinnie and 4WD, move to a high rise unit in Brissie, drink green tea and eat vegie burgers. Isn't it about football, meat pies, Holden cars and fishing.
The Greenies have run their course. I think it's time to swing the pendulum back.
Ring someone in the Fisher Party to get the real gos., but I urge you to be at the Sands on Tuesday. Politicians are only driven by votes not conscience.

Camo
28-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Can you imagine any state government doing any such thing this close to an election. It would be electoral suicide. Fishing is the great Australian pastime, and it cuts across all cultural and class barriers. They would be murdered at the next election.

For example if the Beatie government introduced these restrictions, who would you, your family and friends vote for next election. SE Qld is the most densely populated part of the state, what they have gotten away with on the northern and central coast would not happen in SE Qld because of the population size and the number of votes that would be lost. Just my two cents worth.

Camo

castlemaine
28-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Camo
This is a Federal issue (I believe) as Lamming is a Federal pollie. But you're absolutely right, that's why the pollies have to know how many votes they'll gain or lose. Cheers.

Camo
28-07-2006, 06:20 PM
That's good Castlemain if it is a federal issue. The current federal government has a natural dislike of the greens and anything they or related groups propose.

Camo

Adamy
28-07-2006, 08:34 PM

Cheers
Dave

You've got to be kidding!! :o :o

Dont be fooled there are professionals behind this - Check out this link: http://www.amcs.org.au/default2.asp?active_page_id=139 these guys are responsible for a lot of "green" areas they are highly organised and have a LOT of funding and are therefore a very credible lobby group.

I could be wrong - but from my initial investigations, I believe this to be a state issue - Qld marine parks are the responsibility of the State Government. Why do you think Laming is organising this meeting? He's on the (federal) Liberal side of the fence - I cant see our three local (STATE) Labor politicians saying anything in public - thats because they cant.... at least they cant IF WE dont say something. I've been on the inside in political circles and only the weight of public opinion can move these guys. Its a state issue and we need to target the local state pollies... Whats the first role of government???... To stay in government!!

We need to fire up... get organised and do what we need to do to ensure that Moreton bay remains open to fishos. Lets get every ausfisher to download a petition (carry it in your car or boat) and have other boaties sign it when they are launching and retrieving - that should be a start.

How much of Moreton Bay do they want to close?? 30-50% as a minimum That includes an exclusion zone around most of the bay islands and the shallow reefs - which makes up about 80% of the areas where we fish - the only places they want to leave us are the arid zones - where there are no fish and some of the deepwater areas - how would you like SEQLD's estimated 100,000 boaties in the same spot every weekend - you think its crowded now?? just wait!

This is so important... can we ask a mod to make it sticky or something - promote it and bring it to the attention of every ausfisher???

The groups we are up against aren't your typical lazy dope smoking, tree hugging, unshaven, hairy armpitted greenies - they are highly organised, highly motivated, highly professional and want to take away your right to catch a fish in certain areas of the bay. Check out the website now - they also use trickery to make it seem like if you dont agree with their views then you dont appreciate nature, that you hate the environment and are against every good and decent thing.

FIRE UP PEOPLE or say goodbye to the lifestyle that we all love!! :'(

Just my 2 and a half cents!

Adam

kc
28-07-2006, 11:25 PM
This is obviuosly a hot topic and needs some clarity.

1. Moreton bay is due to be rezoned in 2007 (statutory requirement)
2. A number of green lobby groups, headed by the NSW based AMCS are already hard at work pushing for 50% and all green lobby groups use the flawed example of the Great Barrier Reef rezoning as a benchmark.
3. TFPQ believes it highly unlikely Beattie will do anything about the zoning till after the next state election (assumming he wins) when he will then have some "preference" issues he will have to placate the greens with.
4. Moreton Bay is a state issue, not federal. The GBR is/was a federal issue and the government has been badely burnt by this rezoning and will do the green lobby no favours. Labor, at every level of state Government, is beholden to the greens and green preferences for many of its marginal seats, just as Howard is beholden to TFPQ for his senate majority.

Without wanting to rain on your parade, having been borne of the whole "petition" "submission", lobby politicians "thing" during the "reef wars" I have to say it was/is a complete waste of time and effort. Better to put your effort into the one thing that they fear....your vote!!

TFPQ is currently registering with the Queensland Electoral Commission and time and resources willing, we will stand candidates in a number of Brisbane Bayside seats. When the politicians come to fear the "fishing vote" more than the "green vote" we might get some action. Until however there is an opportunity to actually post a "number" at the state election we are nothing more than a curio who made a bit of noise at the federal election.

Moreton Bay will be an enourmous issue when the sh#* finally hits the fan and hit it it will.....it just won't be before the election. (IMO)

What happened in the GBR resulted in a 42% reduction in the participation rate in recreational fishing (official DPI figures)......it has become more of a stress than a relaxation.

If the GBR zoning is used as a benchmark for Moreton Bay it will have a major impact on both industry and lifestyle.

It all starts with a simple question. Do you want to protect Moreton Bay? 90% will say yes and this is the last meaningful input you will ever get.

Adam is right about one thing. This is an enourmously powerful, well funded, well organised and professional "anti-fishing" movement and they are "coming to a store near you".

Many in the SE corner took the NIMBY approach to the rezoning of the reef but at least you can learn from the experiences of what happened up here.

Regards

KC
Chairman
The Fishing Party (Qld)

MulletMan
29-07-2006, 08:27 AM
With the topic "moved" to this news section, it will die very quickly, personally reckon it should have been made a sticky topic due the importance of it!

19 reads so far confirms this! Should have been hundreds by now!

Ah well, rules iz rules I guess!

Adamy
29-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Good... some informed opinion instead of heads buried in the sand.... OK KC.... what can we do?? How do we get the typical fisho is wake up and smell the burnt toast before its too late? Thats the main problem... we all hope someone else will fix the problem for us. The replies so far are typical of the average fishos attitude to this..

We just have a whinge when its too late. I have noticed the amcs have had this on their agenda for a couple of years... we are only just starting to wake up. We are way behind them on this issue.

Sorry to rain on your parade KC but the fishing party is seen as somewhat of a novelty.... Yes I voted for you guys at the last election me and about 3 others. But perhaps we can use this too our advantage - if we can run a credible campaign in certain seats - and perhaps even ask for the "novelty" vote - they can always direct preferences anyway they like after they vote for their "fishing rights". We might just catch the majors napping and make them wake up and take notice of the issues..... Just like One nation a few years ago - that one knocked us off our feet - I know I was there at the front lines - the shock waves are still being felt today - and yet before the election they were not considered highly by the powers that be within the parties. Anyway - if you want an experienced political campaigner... then PM me - happy to help if I can.

castlemaine
29-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Thanks for clearing it up KC

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
29-07-2006, 10:34 PM
"Potential large scale or total closure of the Bay" is what PP stated in his opening of this thread. It is that claim that I dismiss as being over emotional. And, as it is a state issue, there would not be any government from any side that would permit it. The SE of Qld is the squeekiest wheel is Qld, hence the continual oiling. That squeeking would become a scream if PP's fears ever came to pass.
Won't happen, in my opinion.

Dave

DR
30-07-2006, 07:10 PM
With the topic "moved" to this news section, it will die very quickly, personally reckon it should have been made a sticky topic due the importance of it!

19 reads so far confirms this! Should have been hundreds by now!

Ah well, rules iz rules I guess!

Totally agree PP, this is important enough to be pinned in ALL sections, so everyone will, hopefully, read it..not stuck in here where most probably don't even come for a look. mod 5 is not a closet greenie is he :P

mowerman
30-07-2006, 07:33 PM
I cant see our three local (STATE) Labor politicians saying anything in public - thats because they cant.... at least they cant IF WE dont say something. I've been on the inside in political circles and only the weight of public opinion can move these guys. Its a state issue and we need to target the local state pollies... Whats the first role of government???... To stay in

I was speaking to one of those "three local politicians" yesterday.
He is a keen Bay fisherman. He recieved an invite to the meeting on wednesday. About three weeks too late. Already has 2 meetings to attend.
But he would like to be kept informed.

Jim_Byrne
30-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Its great to see so much support for this topic.

Mates north of us in Brisbane reckon that they got pushed around a bit cause they didn't have enough support, and ended up with what they describe as "the rough end of the stick".

See ya at the Sands!

Jim

Adamy
30-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Thanks to the mods for making this an important topic!!! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] What else can we do to make fellow ausfishers more aware? Most will never visit the news site.

I teach university on Tuesday evenings till 10pm - so cant make the sands - even if it is in my own backyard. So whoever is driving this thing (PP??) Please keep us informed as to anything I/we can do - it our bay and we shouldnt sit by and wait and see if the pollies get it right or not. Yes I agree with you reel Nauti... it probably wont happen... but WOT IF??? and wot if it did happen and we didnt do anything? We'd be locked out til the next 10 year review - legislation doesnt get repealed (wound back) very often.

BAIT_MAN
31-07-2006, 06:55 AM
So whoever is driving this thing (PP??) Please keep us informed as to anything I/we can do - it our bay and we shouldnt sit by and wait and see if the pollies get it right or not. .

Since becoming aware of the possible threat to Moreton Bay back in February this year, I too looked around to find out what I could do. #I contacted The Fishing Party Qld and not only became a Member, but also set up a local branch to look specifically at Moreton Bay. #Since then, we have embarked on a vigorous local campaign to raise awareness amongst fishermen and industry. #During the course of this campaign we have not only received support from fishermen and industry, but have also attracted attention in the political arena.

Andrew Laming, the Federal Member for Bowman has recognised that Moreton Bay and Fishing have the potential to become major issues. #In response, he has organised the Forum to be held at Cleveland on the 1 August 2006 which will be attended by #the Federal Minister for Fisheries, Minister Abetz.

The most immediate thing you can do to help is come along to the Forum and speak up for your rights as a fisherman.

Regards Shane

imported_admin
31-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks to the mods for making this an important topic!!! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] What else can we do to make fellow ausfishers more aware? Most will never visit the news site.

If they would not read it in the news section then it wouldn't matter what section it is in. If people are interested they would come to the news section. There is always a percentage of people that will winge and complain about changes to fishing and then thankfuly there is the percentage that will act.

Andrew_Laming_MP
31-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Hi All,

My name is Andrew Laming and I am the Federal Member of Parliament representing the seat of Bowman on Moreton Bay.

I have organised this meeting to give as many Recreational Fishermen and women as possible an opportunity to come along and share their thoughts on the proposed closures of the Bay due to be considered by the Beattie Government in the coming months.

I look forward to seeing plenty of you keen anglers there on the day at the Cleveland Sands Hotel on Middle Street at 6:30pm.

I have also started a petition against the proposed closures. We need as many signatures as possible so I have attached a copy. If you'd like to help and collect signatures, please use the attached file and once completed, send it back to me at:

Andrew Laming MP
Federal Member for Bowman
PO Box 1705
CLEVELAND DC QLD 4163

If you have any questions or would like to RSVP for the Fishing Forum, please call my office on 3821 0155.

Cheers,

Andrew Laming MP
Member for Bowman

GES
31-07-2006, 01:29 PM
To Mr Andrew Laming MP, I say thank you for your interest and support in this matter.
However, I wonder just how much value you and your Federal political partys' attention will be to the final decision. After all, this is a State political matter and you are a Federal politician. You are also on the opposite side of politics to the State party who will make the final decision on Moreton Bay.
Also, and I say this without malice sir, you had your opportunity to stand against the closing of so much of the GBR to fishing by your own party who were the incumbent Government at the time. Hence you and your party are responsible for the attendant loss of recreational opportunity, related business losses and so on caused by the ill-advised closures of our GBR.
In relation to the Moreton Bay matter, I just can't help being suspicious of your motivations Mr Laming, although, as stated, I appreciate the fact that at least you are doing something.

In my opinion, it would help if each of us, as individuals, wrote/emailed each of the State Labor politicians who are currently holding Bayside seats and ask them, personally, what their intentions are regarding this matter.
Also explain, politely, in our correspondence to them our own personal feelings about having green zones put into the best fishing spots in Moreton Bay and how we would vote at any future elections if any decision is made by their party that is against our wishes.
It probably wouldn't hurt to tell them that we have memories that extend beyond the pending next election as well, so the well known political practice of "doing us in" immediately after this election will ensure our wrath at the following election.
If they get enough of these letters/emails it will get to the attention of those who make the final decision.
Does anyone have the names/addresses/email address of the politicians concerned?
I believe that PERSONAL letters/emails to politicians carry much more political weight than petitions and I certainly will be sending emails to them if I can find out their email addresses.
In the meanwhile, attendance at Mr Lamings meeting at the Sands Hotel will at least show our concern to Mr Beattie and his party.

GES

kc
31-07-2006, 03:31 PM
For the record.

We share the view that the Libs, at a federal level, are all responsible for voting in the flawed zoning of the GBR. That said, it should also be acknowledged that they were led up the garden path by the GBRMPA and are at least moving forward, both with the extension of the stuctural adjustment packages to effected recreational fishing industry businesses and the review of the GBRMPA which sits right now on Minister Campbells desk and will be made public in the near future.

Moreton Bay is a state issue. The Federal Government can do little about the rezoning EXCEPT make it clear to the state Government that what was good for the goose ($150M in federal compensation and growing) is also good for the Gander (The Qld Government)....If they are going to destroy business and lifestyle than it is going to come at a price.

Mr Laming should also acknowledge, for the benifit of those who have viewed TFPQ as "somewhat of a novelty", that it has been this organisation which has brought the issue into the political arena and he would not have been calling this meeting if not for the lobbying of TFPQ, and more particularly the Brisbane South branch.

We have just held our AGM and some big news is likely in coming days. We have lodged all paperwork to register for the state election and time and resources willing we will stand in a number of coastal seats across the state and make a seriuos pest of ourselves. We proved at the last election that fishermen will vote to protect their patch, up to 20.6% in one 1000+ booth.

At a federal level this organisation has some significant influence and I can say, hand on heart, that if TFPQ was at the stage it is now, before RAP was on the drawing board, it would be a very different result.

In time the Great Barrier Reef is going to be "our" Franklin Dam.

To quote Japanese General Yamamoto after he bombed Pearl Harbour "I fear all we have done is awaken a sleeping giant, and filled him with a terrible resolve"

Kevin Collins
Chairman
The Fishing Party (Qld)

gropeher
31-07-2006, 07:35 PM
I suggest all of those that donot live in Moreton Bay to get along and support us here,
if not, just look out, well be coming to a place near you, too soon.
Then youll know what it is like to fish the QLD street mall every weekend...

Cheers Ryan..

sealife
31-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Has anyone asked the Minister for the Environment (the state minister responsible for the Moreton Bay Marine Park) what their view is on the statuatory rezoning of Moreton Bay and how are they proposing to involve the relevant stakeholders?

kc
31-07-2006, 09:20 PM
We have been in discussion with Minister Boyle’s office for many months, usually dealing with Nick Heath, senior advisor to Minister Boyle.

This was firstly in regards the rezoning of Great Sandy Straights and later on issues of Moreton Bay and the banning of sand spears on Fraser Island.

On issues of Moreton Bay the minister’s office has been "evasive" at best.

I have never been able to speak to her personally and in the next couple of days we will make some announcements which will have me permanently crossed off her Christmas card list.

The main push for rezoning, which is a statutory requirement in 2007, has come from the environmental lobby and more particularly from the Australian Marine Conservation Society.

What we do know "for sure" is that the greens will once again preference Labor at next years state election and these preferences will come at a price. If Moreton Bay is "the price" then the price is too high

As to "involving the relevant stakeholders"..............and at the risk of sounding uppity.

The GSS rezoning issue is already documented elsewhere in Ausfish but in broad-brush terms.....TFPQ organised a meeting attended by over 500 locals. We came out of the meeting with a plan, which was unanimously supported by all attendees. We submitted what was the largest and most well researched document and submitted this on behalf of the 30,000 Queenslanders who voted for us to represent their views in the political process. When we asked in November for some final input into the plan we were told that the documents were now "cabinet in confidence" and no further input was allowed, yet, in January, a number of green lobby groups were given access to the plan..............so, will ALL stakeholders get a fair go on Moreton Bay?? I think that depends on how much of a fuss we create come election time.

KC

tshort
01-08-2006, 06:45 AM
Mr. laming and the GBR is an easy one Ges, he lives more than 100 K's away and is only trying to drum up votes for himself. Theyre all in election mode at the moment arent they.

S.S.
01-08-2006, 01:09 PM
We'll see you there Shane. ;)

Juzo
02-08-2006, 02:03 PM
so was this last night? just found the post....

if so what happened?

Juzo

4x4frog
02-08-2006, 02:15 PM
My appologies to Shane firstly and Andrew also for not being able to attend last night's meeting. I only heard about it the meeting at the last minute, Tuesday mid-morning I think and I was not able to make things align so I could attend.
I emailled Shane a few times to talk about the fishing party but have been fairly busy keeping house and my health under close watch lately, so all fun acttivitieshave taken a back seat
Hasn't this got out of hand quickly! #I haven't had the time to read through all the posts here and I need to get hold of some info from Andrew also and catch up fast.

You can count on my signature and vote for the cause whenever it is needed guys.
Chris L

stevedemon
02-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Hi all here is a copy of the hand outs from last night for those that say it is not here dont bury your heads in the sand
#
28 March 2006
Moreton Bay recreational fishing ban part of Gaven green deal
The Queensland Coalition fear recreational fishing will be banned in half of Moreton Bay under a secret pre-election preference deal between the Beattie Labor Government and the extreme Greens.
The Australian Marine Conservation Society has launched a campaign to have "at least 30 - 50% of Moreton Bay within reserves (protected areas closed to all extractive activities)" as part of the 10 year review of the marine park.

In State Parliament today, Shadow Fisheries Minister Mike Horan revealed recreational fishers feared the preference deal between Labor and the Greens in the Gaven by-election was based on the delivery of the Moreton Bay lock out.
"I have spoken to a number of recreational fishers and their representative groups who are gravely concerned about the possible rezoning of Moreton Bay," Mr. Horan said.

"The message I received is they support conservation measures in Moreton Bay but they are afraid the Beattie Labor Government will ban recreational fishing in half the bad , which will only increase pressure on the fishery in the areas that remain open.

"Locking up half of Moreton Bay would anger a lot of people, with a 2001 State Government recreational fishing survey finding there were 4 1.000 South-East Queenslanders, including 77,400 on the Gold Coast, who went fishing at least once a year.

"But the Beattie Labor Government has a track record in shutting down fishing in Moreton Bay, as demonstrated by bans introduced in four key areas in 2003, allegedly to protect grey nurse sharks.
"Fishers were prepared to accept additional restrictions on bottom fishing and night fishing to protect grey nurse sharks when and where they were most active, but the Beattie Labor Government decided to introduce a total ban, which was what the extreme Greens wanted."

Mr. Horan said the Beattie Labor Government w as not interested in common sense conservation and was only interested in attracting Greens' preferences at elections to ensure Labor won marginal seats.
"Farmers and timber workers have borne the brunt of Labor's environmental extremism in the
past but noel it's the mums, dads and kids who just want to go fishing or ride a horse who
are getting hurt." he said.
"The Coalition is committed to common sense conservation while Labor is only interested in pandering to the extreme Greens."
Media Contact - Mike Horan 0418 982 271 or Scott Whitby 07 3406 7430

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

stevedemon
02-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Hi all
i would like to thank the M.P that turn-up to listen to our voices and concerns along with the organises and to the 300 people that showed along with the many people that voiced there concerns but we need more people fisher-persons, Charter boat industry, Tackle and Bait, Tralwers, we all need to stick together on this one as it was stated last night the Government is relying on the facts that we are fighting amongs ourselves. # #

We can nolonger afford to bury our heads in the sand as this is our time to hit the Governments and the Greenies and let them know that we are nolonger going to take this lying down, no government or Greenie group has the right to sell or close off public property, Water Ways, Estaurys, Bays or Oceans, if we as people do not stick together now and voice our anger and disappointment that these Governments sitting in there office with no ideas as to the real facts and not only taking away lively hoods but our rest and relaxation and spending time with our kids and families.

i for one still remember the first time i went fishing with my Grand Fathers, uncles and my father, and all they have taught me and the same thing that i have past on to not only my own children but also to my Step-children, spend time with them and my wife have all been good memorys along with friends if we do not act now then it will be just that MEMORY,S and we will have no one else to blame but ourselve,s for not taking action and speaking out. # #

Do not just rely on someone else to do the job we all need to act your friends people you kow as to who is who of Fishing tell them to speak out and let the Governments know we are as one are we are no-longer going to take it lying down and for those that think it will never happen think again it is here and right in front of your nose. # #

Do not be and ostrich and bury your heads in the dirt or sand as this is upon us now the more people speak out the more the government bodies have to listen there are over 200,000 fisher-person and boaties in S/E Queensland send your voices and make them be heard that we are people not cattle that will be hearded into pens for the slaughter. # #

Cheers #
Steve #

Vic1
02-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Very interested and very concerned with this debate.

Q. What are the tackle manufacturers ie Shimano's / Alveys and other suppliers to the industry doing to help keep Moreton Bay open.

To my mind the people that should be easy to convince to help (and put money in the war chest) are those that stand to loose HUGE money should the bay be shut down. Can anyone from the fishing party tell me what these people are doing to help the cause?????? Have they even been approached???? Are they on the board??????

Another point: Surely if 500,000 people fish in Moreton bay at least once every year (according to C 10 news tonight), it would not take much to get at least 100,000 signatures for a petition in a short space of time. Have a sheet to sign in each tackle shop in Brisbane that every customer is asked to sign. I don't know ANYONE who is a fisherman who would not sign it, and can't imagine any tackle shop who's owner has half a brain would be against this proposal (again based on the hip pocket squeeze they would feel should the closures happen)

If each of us took 1 weekend out (instaed of fishing) to visit each pier and fishing spot around Moreton Bay (ramps as well) with the petition, I think we'd all be very suprised at the level of support we would get.

With these numbers down, it would be VERY hard for any political party to ignore our claims, done deal or not.

Like to hear the FP response please

gropeher
02-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Vic1,

Bruce Alvey of Alvey Reels was there last night and spoke for a short period, obviously against the closing down of Moreton Bay sections.

Cheers Ryan..

stevedemon
02-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Hi vic1 as reel magic has stated Bruce Alvery was there the same as Shane from the Fishing party who also owns a Bait & tackle shop along with D.P.I Minsiter also from the trawler sections and game fishing along with some of the local fishing club and Sun fish from what i heard last night there is a bigger meeting planned but that is all i know maybe Shane can put some more light on the subject along with sending pettions to the tackle shops, marine industry, Boating stores, charter industry, Trawlers, as this will affect the lot of us

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

kc
02-08-2006, 08:13 PM
What are the tackle manufacturers ie Shimano's / Alveys and other suppliers to the industry doing to help keep Moreton Bay open.

We have been to Sydney and met with John Dunphy and the AFTA board and I have personally spoken to Bruce Alvey again only recently and he is helping us with an approach to industry via the AFTA trade show in August.

It is fair to say that until recently there was not a full understanding of the ramifications of the MPA's. The Great Barrier Reef closure and subsequent "numbers" have clearly been a wake-up call to industry and yes they are getting active.

I have covered alsewhere our experience with "petitions" and public protest rallies...that said very few people live in the North but our 30,000 submissions, some carrying 1000 signature petitions in support of individual submissions, were all but ignored.

Get involved in taking away votes however and you suddenly get their undivided attention.

Personally, I think it is fair to say that Shane and the Brisbane branch of TFPQ have made this an issue of political importance and that meeting would not have happened last night without the political push.

While petitions and the like may influence the Government what WILL influence then us standing in some bayside seats and negotiating preference arrangements, (just like the greens have been doing for years).

The Great Barrier Reef zoning will be to the recreational fishing lobby, what Franklin Dam was to the Green Party and now TFPQ is gaining significant strenght in Brisbane.

When politicians fear the organised "fishing vote" more than it fears the "green vote" everything changes.

Regards

KC

whichway
02-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Hi

I suspect that the state election will be before October and stage 4 water restrictions. Water will be the issue. Any political action regarding opposition to the marine park would need to be set up very quickly.

Regards

Whichway

kc
02-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Your judgement may be on the money Whichway but I hope not. Beattie has already slipped up a couple of times and said "next years election".

TFPQ has just lodged registration paperwork with QEC and this is a 6 week process.

The further away the election is the better.

If it is October we will struggle but can still cost the environment minister her seat.

KC

hicksy
04-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Andrew Laming give yourself a pat on the back! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At a federal level Your political party can't and wont fix petrol prices, Lied to voters about interest rates and intends to screw as many workers as you can with the workchoices legislation.

But surprise, surprise when a state government issue like this arises you can fix it.

I own a boat, I fish and I have been an ausfish member since July 2003.

No one should be kidded on this, your using this site and this issue to try and improve your ailing popularity in the seat of Bowman.

Where were your comments when your government introduced the flawed changes to the GBR? I didn't see you on this site then trying to get it stopped.

Hicksy

kc
04-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Interesting thoughts Hicksy & just today I have been drafting a letter to Mr Laming expressing similar sentiments (if not quite so blunt).

The Libs have been no friend to fishers, particularly at a federal level and all stand condemed over RAP....no sorry, not all, all bar 1. Warren Entsch.

I will post our letter here as an open letter once finalised and you are dead right.

The issue is only gaining political legs because TFPQ has dragged it kicking and screaming into the public domain. If the Federal Libs want some kudos then they can start by fixing the mess that is the GBR zoning.

KC

hicksy
04-08-2006, 08:58 PM
kc,

Yeah lets see if the Libs have any credibility at all. Fix the issues with the GBR zoning. Otherwise they are what I already think...............full of shit.

Hicksy

Derek_Bullock
04-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Boyle: Moreton Bay Marine Park review to start in 2007

Environment Minister Desley Boyle said it was a requirement to review the Moreton Bay Marine Park Zoning Plan after 10 years and the Government had until September 2008 to do this.

“This process will not start until next year and there will be wide consultation with all stakeholders - recreational and commercial fishers, conservation groups, the tourism industry and the wider community,” Ms Boyle said.

“Of course the fishers want to fish in all their favourite spots and conservationists want more area protected – they always do.

“No decisions have been made yet by the government. Our priority will be to ensure the future of the Bay is healthy and that people have reasonable access.

“We have been working for some time to improve water quality in Moreton Bay,” she said.

Ms Boyle said the Environmental Protection Agency had increased standards for wastewater treatment and the Beattie Government has given councils about $200million since 1998 to upgrade sewerage treatment plants.

“There is no doubt MoretonBay is a special place for locals and visitors.

It is a terrific spot for recreation and fishing and unique in having dugong and turtles so close to a capital city,” she said.

Ends

Media contact: 3227 8819

kc
04-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Hicksy you can put it that way but I can not be so blunt.

In fairness it should be pointed out that Andrew Laming came late to this. He was not even an MP when the Federal Government passed the GBR laws...HOWEVER...it will be appreciated if those in Government who have kicked up a fuss of late, like Entsch, Boswell & Kelly, have the support of another MP. I hope Andrew is actually a fisherman as well as a polly, at least then we have some common ground. Every time I front a polly the first question I ask is "do you fish". David Borthwick, who chaired the GBRMPA review committee does and wasn't it nice to be able to speak the same language!!

TFPQ welcomes politicians of any ilk getting interested in the plight of recreational fishing and recreational fishing industries. That minister Boyle has come out talking "Moreton Bay" is further evidence that our efforts are not in vain and this will now be an election issue.

Our position on the Libs at a federal level remains that they are no friend of recreational fishing and what that have done and continue to do is at least trying to repair some of the damage and build some bridges....If Mr Laming is part of this process then good on him but he has to understand the underlying cause of the Fishing Party (Qld) even existing is his Governments actions in the first place.

They have let the genie out of the bottle, not us, and now they have to come to terms with an organised, vocal and increasingly politically educated & astute recreational fishing lobby.

I think Andrew should actually come back to this forum and put his position.

It is poor form to just place 1 post and then, for all intents and purposes, bugger off.

Ausfish is a good representitive sounding board. TFPQ has learnt a lot by using it and maybe, just maybe, here is a guy who can learn a bit too, and has the power to use what he has learnt for all our advantages.

So Andrew, and I know your watching ;), your serve.

KC

Derek_Bullock
05-08-2006, 09:11 AM
I think Andrew should actually come back to this forum and put his position.

It is poor form to just place 1 post and then, for all intents and purposes, bugger off.

Ausfish is a good representitive sounding board. TFPQ has learnt a lot by using it and maybe, just maybe, here is a guy who can learn a bit too, and has the power to use what he has learnt for all our advantages.

So Andrew, and I know your watching ;), your serve.

KC

Right on KC.

I see he is here regularly to and as a Moderator on Ausfish can see that his IP addresses are from his Government Office in Canberra and a private address.

Come on Andrew, what have you got to say.

Derek

BAIT_MAN
05-08-2006, 10:04 AM
I think Andrew should actually come back to this forum and put his position. #

It is poor form to just place 1 post and then, for all intents and purposes, bugger off. #

So Andrew, and I know your watching #;), your serve.

KC

Right on KC. #

I see he is here regularly to and as a Moderator on Ausfish can see that his IP addresses are from his Government Office in Canberra and a private address.

Come on Andrew, what have you got to say.

Derek

Derek
Bear in mind that Andrew does have minders and that they could be watching on his behalf.

Regards Shane

Bowser
05-08-2006, 10:31 AM
I have to disagree with a lot of the cynical comments in here regarding party politics and support or disagreement with Laming or the Beattie government's agenda. We must learn from the greens and take any assistance that is offered at any time. The greens are an organised effective political force that has manipulated political will in Australia on the back of a handful of votes and will only get stronger as inflammatory, unfounded statements on the future of our planet and the effects of our habitation here continue to gain credence with a gullible voting public and a vote hungry government of any persuasion. It doesn't matter which side of main stream politics you support, we need to accept and use the voice of both parties to defy the green minority a win in the Bay.

If you ask anyone from the people who are supposedly there to educate us in the intricacies of State National Parks and protection zones QNPWS, for an idea or indication on their thinking regarding Moreton Bay, you will get advised that they have no thoughts or intentions on the suggested exclusion of fisherman from any areas. This is the same feedback that you would have received shortly before they promulgated the Grey Nurse Protection zones. Although their stated aims or to advise and assist ALL Queenslanders they are only concerned with the views of the radical greens and are intent on locking everything up for "future generations".

I know that there are many of you here that are fervently in favour of the left and have a loathing of all things associated with the Federal Liberal Government and prefer to accept the word of Labor politicians that they will protect your fishing rights we must understand that the decision on the bay will be the province of state political deals. There is every probability that Beattie will call an early election, perhaps as early as September, to hide the obvious defects in his administration beneath the smokescreen of water shortages and the drought. This issue will not even be mentioned in this campaign. It will however be mentioned in any number of back room party deals aimed at gaining preference deals from the greens. With the track record this government has on failure to provide adequate health care, inactivity on water planning, inadequate schooling of the “future generation" and an emphasis on fund raising policing, do you think they will give a fig for a few fisherman in south east Queensland who will bitch and moan at the boat ramp and vote as they always have come election day, when they can tie up some necessary unthinking green preferences by back room deals. You must understand the system of voting to get an understanding of the insidious effect of these deals. They give the "concerned" citizen the warm glow of caring for the environment by voting 1 green. A vote that has no value or weight as the green candidate will generally attract the least votes in a 3 cornered contest. This primary vote is discarded and their second preference vote made by deals amongst the faceless men, for a main stream party becomes their real vote. The concerned citizen is disappointed that Mr Green didn't get in and indignant that one of those scum sucking politicians has the seat, largely on his or her vote, and worries about the health of our planet and the faceless men shake hands and enact legislation that they have no belief in but must do as part of the deals they set.

The intention of preference voting was to ensure that the most generally acceptable people would represent us in parliament, but it has been bastardised by back room deals.

We will be shafted by the greens and the lack of voice of local politicians indicates that the back room boys of the Beattie Government have already done the deal. I hope we are all happy to fish sandbanks in the middle of Moreton Bay while visitors and tourists get to enjoy the few spots that hold a couple of fish and the AMCS members rub their hands in glee at another win and plan the next step in excluding the silent majority from enjoying a few simple pleasures.

choppa
05-08-2006, 07:49 PM
interesting to see the responses to this post,,,,

and YES I ADMIT,,, i've read about 2% of the responses,,,

what comes to mind is i knew as soon as this post was moved to NEWS,,, it would attract PP's response of """oh well,, who cares"",,

and i knew it would also attract the NEGATIVE responses of "hang on 770,000 rec fisho's etc etc""

and yet i ask you all,,, what have YOU DONE ABOUT IT???????????

and for those of you you who don't understand this question,,,, keep reading this forum,,, open up a few more threads,,, you might be surprised to see that this issue has been posted before

HERE"S AN IDEA,,,, subscribe to the relevant authority's websites,,,,ITS FREE,,

might as well start an asian topic again eh???????

castlemaine
06-08-2006, 03:45 PM
* Bowser ... good point ... you have to play the political game. Normal Labour voters that can't handle the way the Beattie government's handling of health, police, getting rid of asbestos in schools, poor planning for a growing population (that's why we don't have any water), traffic, an introduction of a bill to allow politians to lie, (someone help me with the rest), will vote Greens rather than vote Liberal then the Greens will give their preferences back to Labour for a deal (Moreton Bay). But in all fairness too where are the State Liberals ... Have we got a Claytons opposition? I haven't heard anything from Lawrence?
* Environment Minister Desley Boyle ... isn't she the one that wanted to fine Tin Can Bay residents for feeding a few dolphins?
* I'm writing to every one of the ministers concerned ... from a famous quote by actor Peter Finch - "I'm mad and I'm not going to take this anymore"
* Ps - Have you noticed how it's always our fault ... we have been using too much water and dried up the dams ( It's natural for the Australian continent to go several years without rain), we inconsiderately get sick and put pressures on our Health System so now we have to get in foreign doctors. Who said politians were stupid.

hicksy
14-08-2006, 10:29 PM
GEEZ THAT"S A SURPRISE STILL NO RESPONSE FROM ANDREW LAMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

billfisher
17-08-2006, 11:59 AM
I was wondering why you guys aren't campaigning for Moerton Bay to be a recreational fishing haven, funded by a rec fishing license to buy the pros out and other programs like fish stocking, as we have here in NSW.
No government would then dare hand it over to the greenies purile lock out mentality. Being near a large city it is the ideal site for a rec haven like the one we have in Botany Bay. Also catch rates for popular species have climbed from 100 - 300% in these havens after just 2 years. Average sizes have increased too.

As to Grand Marlins comments they seem to be straight from the greenies propaganda handbook, eg spillover effect, unworthy humans incapable of managing fisheries, ever increasing hoards of amateurs etc.

What do your states fisheries scientists say about the state of fisheries in SE Qld and Moerton Bay? I know that here in NSW the the greens gloomy claims of decline in the states fisheries have been refuted by the scientific evidence and NSWs chief fisheries scientist and also the University of British Columbia.

tshort
18-08-2006, 05:49 AM
Good point billfisher you dont get nothin for nothin.