PDA

View Full Version : NO to cruiseship terminal!!!!!!

shaman
19-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Senbloodysational, the powers that be have finally said a big fat no to the cruiseship terminal at The Spit. Front page of The Gold Coast Bulletin
quotes them as saying that all the reasons against that have already been voiced by everyman and his dog are all true (funny that).
All the objections that have been previously posted on this site are there
including the Malaysian report..............and apparently it has NOTHING to do with the election.............. ;D ;D ;D.....SURE.
......................Billy

marlinqld
19-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Sanity prevails................... ;D :)

PinHead
19-08-2006, 04:50 PM
call me cynical but isn't it funny..I said in a post a while back that it would not happen and when does the Govt state that it will not happen..immediately after an election is called..amazing that.

stevedemon
19-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Hi all well the cruise ship terminal might be bad but on the front page of courier mail was a slip of tongue from the Beattie Government that they still intend on putting up alarge block of units and making a concrete marina along the norhtern side of nara resort so he still thinks that this will not make and impacted on the area for destruction of the areas this is from the save our spit guys

URGENT- TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS & EMAIL THIS ON PLEASE!!!! RALLY IS STILL ON!!!

Save Our Spit is very proud to say we have all won a BIG battle but NOT the war. Thank you Supporters for your fantastic help so far.

In a pre-emptive strike to try to scuttle the scene of thousands of protesters on The Spit, Mr Beattie has supposedly announced that there will be NO TERMINAL due to bad economics and environmental costs BUT STILL a MARINE DEVELOPMENT which WILL include lands North of Nara and Marine Stadium on The Spit.

MAINTAIN THE RAGE- THE SPITFIGHT IS STILL ON!!! tomorrow Sunday 20 August 2006 at 11am

WHY? Because despite Mr Beattie's last gasp backdown on the terminal, MARINE STADIUM AND OTHER LANDS NORTH OF NARA REMAIN UNDER THREAT.

Spitfighters Rally is STILL ON to SAVE MARINE STADIUM from becoming a concreted marina surrounded by a residential development. PLANS are well advanced for this so BE AT THE RALLY to keep Marine Stadium free and open for everyone NOW AND INTO THE FUTURE. Only last Sunday the Courier Mail leaked plans for highrises on The Spit.

SAVE OUR SPIT NORTH OF NARA INCLUDING MARINE STADIUM FOR PUBLIC LAND AND WATERWAYS USE NOW AND FOREVER.

See you at the Rally- we STILL NEED YOU!!!

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Bundy_Burp
19-08-2006, 05:21 PM
Wonders will never cease they finally did something right for once .

Bundy 8-)

fishingjew
19-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Deputy premier Anna Bligh said last night the project was dead in the water after draft report EMI study found the economic and environmental cost to high.

Juanita Wheeler, Election spokesperson & Mount Coot-tha candidate #
#
The Queensland Greens have claimed credit for today's announcement by Premier Peter Beattie that the Southport cruise ship terminal would be scrapped “We had left the Labor party in no doubt that it would be virtually impossible to expect Greens preferences on the Goldcoast

Or was it the unofficial phone poll #stats #Question: Will the Beattie Government lose your vote over it's push for a
cruise ship terminal at The Spit? # 86.4% said yes 13.7% NO

Dont you love an election

fishingjew
20-08-2006, 12:02 AM
Beattie scraps plans for cruise ship terminal
Queensland Premier Peter Beattie has scrapped plans for a controversial cruise ship terminal on the Gold Coast, because of concerns raised in an environmental impact study.

"We have very strong environmental requirements and those enviro requirements basically indicate we will not doing anything that will not work economically financially or environmentally," he said.

Gold Coast Mayor Ron Clarke says he is not surprised by the Beattie Government's decision, as the environmental impact study was always likely to be a problem.

"I think it's bad news - I think the cruise ship terminal could have been a wonderful asset for the coast," he said.

"But the most important thing was to make it environmentally sound and if it wasn't, well, it has to be scrapped."

Councillor Clarke is now pushing for a super yacht marina for The Spit instead.

"I mean there's six or seven thousand of them floating around the world," he said.

"I was talking to the people from Singapore just yesterday and they're looking at an association and they're building a super yacht marina in Singapore.

"It would be a good link for us to link to them and Dubai."

Brisbane's Lord Mayor, Campbell Newman, says he is happy the cruise ship terminal plans have been dumped.

"I'm happy because I think two terminals so close together would have been a waste of money, particularly public money, and the Brisbane terminal is just about to open," he said.

"So as far as I'm concerned it's a good move."

Save the Spit Alliance president Steve Gration says he still wants clarification on the Beattie Government's plans for The Spit.

"We were holding a major rally on Sunday, which was planned well before the election was announced," he said.

"We urge people to still come to the rally because the Government is being ambiguous about what components are still left in their proposal and we believe they are still going to build a commercial marina in public open space."