View Full Version : Minister Boyle Speaks Out - Do you Believe Her

Derek_Bullock
17-08-2006, 06:29 PM
Minister for Environment, Local Government, Planning and Women
The Honourable Desley Boyle
17/08/2006

No ban on recreational fishing in Moreton Bay

The Beattie Government will not ban recreational fishing in Moreton Bay,

Environment Minister Desley Boyle said today.

"We will guarantee access to Moreton bay for recreational fishers.

"The Marine Park zoning plan has to be reviewed after 10 years, the review is due in 2008, and hasn't even started yet.

"People who enjoy fishing should not be alarmed by a scare campaign.

"Mums and Dads and families who like to throw in a line can be assured that we will guarantee access for recreational fishing

"Our review will be open and transparent and based on science.

"Labor has a proven track record in looking after people who fish.

"In the lead up to the recent rezoning of the Great Sandy Marine Park, a similar fear campaign was mounted and proved untrue. We guaranteed continued access for fishers - with 96% of the Marine Park available to recreational fishers.

"Labor knows how loved Moreton Bay is and we reassure fishers they will always be a part of this paradise on Brisbane's doorstep," Ms Boyle said.

Ends

Media contact: 3227 8819

imported_admin
17-08-2006, 06:57 PM
That doesn't say a thing
"No ban on recreational fishing in Moreton Bay"

With a statement like that they could close 90% of the bay and still say that there is no ban on recreational fishing. It would only eb a restriction, not a ban.

"Would be good if they will state that there will be no further restrictions or closures for recreational fishing access in Moreton Bay"

But then again I doubt if you would ever get that out of any political party.

madmix
17-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Exactly, Mr Ausfish.

especially as 9 days ago the Govt had not yet started to
consider there stance on moreton bay (apparently).

As they can now openly lie in parliament, why would they
tell us the truth.

cheers Mick

CHRIS_aka_GWH
17-08-2006, 07:58 PM
1. "Our review will be open and transparent and based on science.

2. "Labor has a proven track record in looking after people who fish.

1. Yeah right, just like the whole GNS thing - believe eco-scientists who form a significant part of the 1000 divers per month who visit the now "protected" GNS congregation areas. Of course these are the ONLY places GNS congregate because they are the only places ecoscientists also congregate. ;D bloddy joke. Also, totally ignore visual sitings at other localities.

2. Yeah right again - totally ignoring #1, and Henry P's two faced shafting of the south east queensland fishing public, if the good minister could please furnish for inspection something simple and tangible (not related to pseudoscience) - let say - the amount invested by the boating public on registration fees compared to the amount spent by state on boat ramps or say additional support to impoundment stocking programs ... etc etc. But hey, we got millions to support a finnancially unviable Indy and the like ......

SECRET_AGENT
17-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Bring on the election !!! I can't wait to vote for the FISHING PARTY

Lucky_Phill
17-08-2006, 09:31 PM
The word " access " popped up a couple of times in the release.

Reading the wording for what it is, really makes me laugh. Not telling the whole truth is not lying, according to Pollies.

Maybe we should have a " good behaviour bond " type of caveate on Pollies in regard to promises, thereby keeping them accountable for their drivel.

Phill

BAIT_MAN
17-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Media Release #17th August 06

Ministers Comments do little to ease fishers fears.

Today’s press release from Minister Desley Boyle’s office today is welcome news but does little to ease the fears of recreational fishers burnt by the experiences of the marine park rezoning in North Queensland.

“While we are delighted that recreational fishing access to Moreton Bay is clearly on the political agenda but the same rhetoric about open and transparent public consultation and science based rational behind the decision making process is all too familiar”, said Fishing Party Chairman Kevin Collins.

“We know that politics, not science, was behind the radical rezoning of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park and have always expected that political lobbying and deal making would also be behind the rezoning of Moreton Bay as well”. “Science is used as an excuse, not a reason”.

“The fishing community sat on its hands and trusted the bureaucrats to act with integrity and honesty in regards the Great Barrier Reef rezoning while environmental lobby groups worked behind the scenes, hand in glove with the bureaucracy, to our ultimate disadvantage”, he said.

“Never again”, “Never we will sit quietly and trust the consultation process”.

“Minister Boyle acknowledged herself, only last week in Parliament, in response to a question from National Party MP Mr Horan, that trust in the process had been damaged by the experiences of the Northern Marine Park rezoning.”

“The Fishing Party (Qld) has made this an issue and will continue to keep it an issue both during and well beyond the election, regardless of who wins”.

“One of the buzz words of the marine park closure “industry” is the “precautionary principle”. “In years past this had another name, Common Sense, and very little, if any, of that has been shown during the marine parks debates.”

Media Contact Kevin Collins 0414 785 462 : kc@whitsunday.net.au

fish2eat
18-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Only those with political leverage who are prepared to use it are likely to get a good outcome from these 'reviews".

we have all been bitten many times by these "public consultation" farces, so a genuine and strong Fishing Party is the only long term protection against hollow promises. GO SHANE GO !!!!

and if not sucessful this time, doule the efforts next time round, it's not likely to be a short term fight.

marlinqld
18-08-2006, 04:41 PM
I wouldnt believe Minister Doyle if she said my head was on fire

Mike

HiRAEdd
18-08-2006, 06:14 PM
I requested info from my local member and got the same press release sent to me. This is my reply:

Thanks for the information but a freely available press release wasn't exactly what I was after.
I was after some more detailed information. The kind of information that according to that press release hasn't even been investigated yet. Yet how can that press release be believed as it contradicts itself by guaranteeing access to areas that apparently haven't been evaluated. That document is nothing more than a carefully worded statement that guarantees nothing, allows for anything and makes me and many other voting fisher people very nervous.
I sincerely hope that the government does not follow the same road of pseudo-science and bowing to minority group pressure as they did with the GBMP "conservation" zones. That is of course, assuming they win government again.
We'll see if they reply...

FNQCairns
18-08-2006, 06:30 PM
I wouldn't trust Boyle to cut a piece of grass with a pair of scissors :D

Just saw on the news tonight, labour is double speaking the end to pro fisherman in certain creeks up and around Cairns etc as an election sweetener.

Yeah right! Boyle needs ousting and with the TFPs vote.

An honest and real world review of state fisheries regulation pertaining to rec anglers would be the most basic of starts needed IMO. Why they perpetuate the myth that rec fishing has any real impact on sustainable fish stocks still alludes me.

No single vote can stop the Labour win so everyone vote for TFP and make a resounding difference to so many - is at least a start to a cure.

cheers fnq

stevedemon
21-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Hi all
Due to the elections being so close as i have been speaking to one of the

Standing Liberal Canidate for the Springwood area Peter Collins.

Over the weekend the Coalition party have been meeting and parts of there talks were on the Closures of Moreton bay.

I have been in formed that the Coalition party does not believe that Closures or Lockouts are the answer, this is also the asnwer and stand from the member of Cleveland/Redlands Bay member
that these issue along with many other issues are on hand.

however guy's I will not paint anyone into a corner, although this is the answer from the Liberal Party canidate that there will be no closures to the Bay due to the facts that I have known Peter collins for a number of years, but have only just got to no the man over the past 2 yrs and his work in pushing for more Health, public housing interests within the Logan City area and the facts that he is always trying to push for the little persons and at the some time pushing for business within the area.
I have come to respect the man and his policies, when speaking to people in the area, he is very well respected for honesty, ;D(Yer i no honesty in a polication) :o ::) :-/ , but when you have known people for a will they intend to tell you what you need to know and not what you want to here.

anyway in comes down to the facts in the end that the Coalition does not believe that closures or lockouts are the answer.

I have also ask Peter Collins to go back to the party and ask that if they win the election will they place on there standing committee Fisher-persons whether from a group or singular as well as from the different industrys with fishing to be part of any thing to do with environmental issue so as we have a representive on the board, this is being taken back to the party for discussion. have also ask Desley Boyle office the same question but the same response recieved

As Follows

We acknowledge your email to the Hon Desley Boyle MP, Minister for the Environment, Local Government & Planning and Women.

Your correspondence is important to us and is being dealt with appropriately.

Thank you for taking the time to write to the Minister.

Administration Office

Minister for Environment, Local Government & Planning and Women

this was todays answer after a week of waiting
still waiting for a response from Lawrence Springborgs office although they have been busy electing members for the different areas
As i recieve more info will post it for you all sorry it is not more

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Hornblower
22-08-2006, 09:31 PM
I believe Desley said the sky was blue, when I heard that, I had to run outside just to make sure. She wouldn't plead guilty to breathing that one, same as all the rest of em. ;) ;)