PDA

View Full Version : Let The Battle Begin

Derek_Bullock
25-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Challenge on for three local seats

Thursday, 24 August 2006

The State Election campaign is under way in earnest, with 11 candidates vying for Redland Shire seats at close of nominations on Tuesday.

The ALP, which currently holds all three Redland Shire seats – Cleveland, Capalaba and Redlands – is being challenged by Liberal/National Coalition candidates and Greens candidates in all seats.

In addition, former Nationals Member for Redlands John Hegarty is running as an Independent for Redlands at the September 9 polls, and an Independent endorsed by the Fishing Party is running for Cleveland.

The candidate list is:

CLEVELAND: With sitting Labor Member Darryl Briskey retiring, Phil Weightman, a police officer, is running for the ALP against Liberal Andrew Trim, a real estate agent; The Greens Robyn Thomas, a teacher; and Independent Shane Boese, a retailer who is endorsed by the Fishing Party (a lobby group which supports recreational fishermen.)

CAPALABA: Sitting Labor Member Michael Choi is being challenged by Liberal, Trish Symons, financial planner, and The Greens' Greg Thomas, 52, self-employed.

REDLANDS: Sitting Member John English (ALP) faces a challenge from the Nationals' Russell Biddle, a solicitor; The Greens' Brad Scott, businessman; and John Hegarty, a finance consultant as an Independent.

Mr Hegarty represented Redlands as a National from 1995 to 2001. He said yesterday that he would not be directing preferences on his How to Vote cards but would be encouraging voters to give their second preference to another candidate.

ISSUES

Labor says it will fight the election locally on the issues of the record of the Beattie Government and Labor's strategy to deal with health and water issues.

The Liberal/National candidates say they will campaign on rebuilding the health system and the performance of the Beattie Government.

The Greens candidates will campaign on issues such as what population level our area can support without spoiling the amenity, natural beauty and ecology – and plan responsibly according to that.

Independent John Hegarty will fight the poll on the need for a strong independent voice in Parliament to represent the people of the Redlands electorate.

Independent and Fishing Party-endorsed Shane Boese will campaign against any attempts to restrict fishing in Moreton Bay.

A few early shots that have been fired on the local election campaign trail:

What they are saying

REDLANDS

John Hegarty (Ind): "The Redlands is being stripped of its water assets in a cynical and short-sighted attempt to shore up the fortunes of the ailing government."

Brad Scott (Greens): "Instead of promoting continued migration to SEQ let's secure the water, power, public transport, health and education services for the people who live here."

John English (ALP): "I have worked very hard for the people of the Redlands since I was elected in 2001. "I am very proud of my achievements and I hope that residents in the Redlands see the efforts I have made to give them an effective voice in State Parliament and in the Queensland Government.

Russell Biddle (Nats): "Can anyone in the Redlands community trust Peter Beattie or Labor any more? "Over the weekend we saw some incredible backflips, all in the name of pure politics and vote grabbing."

CLEVELAND

Shane Boese (Ind): "The State Government's record on closing access to fishing areas, national parks and beaches in Queensland and in particular Moreton Bay has motivated me to make a stand on behalf of a group of often overlooked voters and send Mr Beattie a powerful message."

Phil Weightman (ALP): "The Labor Health Action Plan, delivered by the Beattie Labor Government, has already started delivering funding boosts to health services in the Cleveland community including $17.6 million in ongoing funding for an additional 66 hospital beds opened in 2005-06 including 15 public hospital beds at the Redlands Hospital."

Andrew Trim (Lib): "A key priority for me in my first 100 days in office will be fixing the health system and getting Redland Hospital working properly again. "We will slash the current 37-strong waiting lists, re-introduce a Local Hospital Board to ensure local people have input into how the hospital is run and how it performs."

gropeher
25-08-2006, 08:10 PM
an additional 66 hospital beds opened in 2005-06 including 15 public hospital beds at the Redlands

Big bloody deal buddy, 66 beds whooty bloody doo,

You and your mate,
YOUR FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan..

Hornblower
25-08-2006, 08:30 PM
I know one of those ALP candidates personally and he would sell his own family to climb the bloodsucker's foodchain. #He is conceited and a bully, and if he told you the sky were blue, I would advise that you look up and check!! #The only thing that interests him - is him! #His former employer and workmates are better off without him.

Just goes to show, they are all tarred with the same brush.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Edited by moderator. Do not slander politicians.

stevedemon
25-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Hi all
well Guy's the beds that have been promised for the last 16 years to S/E Qld that is how long the Labour party has governed Qld 16 out of 18 yrs my wife works for the Health system todays was just another day to show the stuff ups of Beattie government Hospitals on by-pass from the gold coast because they where full only to send them to Logan hospital the ambo's where back-up and more people waiting will be on the news tomorrow night

Question how come all of a sudden the Beattie Goverment can come up with 7billion dollars over 5yrs yet in the last 8 yrs there has been a lack of money for the Health system

question why is the water so low? why because ignorance and arrogance preivailes has been warn for the last 5 yrs

Roads in Qlds not even worth talking about they are placing over 1/2 billion dollars into a tunnel that should be spent on Water or the Health system to replace the 2500 Doctors that have left the Qld Health system not to mention the nurses.

Now the Beattie government is back in bed with the greenies and our back yard of rest and relaxation teaching our kids responsibilities, sensibilities and spending time with Families, friends by closures of the public's water sports FISHING

do not need to go on but think about it why is it that all of a sudden money has grown on trees the lies that we teach our kids that there is always consequences with lies or stealing.

but more so the facts or on the wall a change is needed

my opinnion and i'm sticking with it

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Hornblower
25-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Well the answer is simple - Just ask Peter Beattup - It's all John Howard's fault. It's his fault so many people get sick in Qld, it's his fault that there has been no rain, it can't be Beattup's fault, if it was he would stand aside!!! Actually didn't he make a promise along those lines if he didn't have the health system fixed. Maybe, that is John Howard's fault as well ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

stevedemon
25-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Hi all

Fairy tales

A little girl asked her father,
daddy? DO all fairy tales #
begin with,
Once upon a time?
No there is a series of
fairy tales,
that begin with

If Elected I Promise #

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Got_the_Fever
25-08-2006, 10:52 PM
I am not sticking up for beattie here but I do have to say that in one respect the fed gov does have a accept some of the blame for the current situation regarding doctors. Years ago the feds got together with the uni's and cut the number of placements for medical students available all over australia. Now this is not the only thing that is hurting hospitals but it is part of the problem. It has put a premium on doctors and what they can ask as payment.

For years doctors down south have been making a lot more money than ours in Qld, that is beatties fault. Finally we have gone part way to resolving that problem with the smo's (senior medical officiers) being paid a lot more than they where, so we can retain them in OUR state.

The nurses on the other hand have been given a raw deal for years. I work in a hospital and can tell you all that I have never met a more dedicate group of ppl in my life. A couple of years ago during eb5 negotiations the nurses union placed work bans on and I can tell you that I coped a lot of flack because I work on switch. I stood by the nurses then and I stand by them now. Beattie and his lot have hurt our nurses , doctors and all other staff in the hospital system more than most ppl realise.

Kel

Hornblower
27-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Great Post Kel and point taken about the federal Govt.

Sorry Mr Moderator aka the words of reason - I cannot remember what I wrote that was taken out - but I am sure I deserved it to be removed ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I will be more careful next time.

Cheers ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)