PDA

View Full Version : Best wishes!  Go get 'em!

el_carpo
30-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Hi Ausfishers,

I just received the email regarding the protest rally on the second. It's a little out of my neighborhood ;) so I won't be with you in person but I'll definately be with you in spirit. I hope you guys win and are able to keep your fishing spot. Best of luck to all who participate. I'm looking forward to reading the results. Good to see folks getting together to stand up for their rights.

Go Aussies! Give 'em L!

EC

fish2eat
30-08-2006, 10:56 AM
It's hard to put it in terms of winning and losing, but the best outcome is a high level of media exposure, that's what makes politicians take notice.

el_carpo
30-08-2006, 11:48 AM
What I meant by winning is that the bay stays open to fishing.

Speaking of media coverage; does anyone know if the news media will be there? I would imagine they will be. Has there been any mention of the rally in the news over there? Traffic warnings and such?

I know sometimes it helps to call the news tip lines to get attention to a story. TV news stations, news radio stations, newspapers, etc.

Anyway, like they say, "The squeeky wheel gets the oil." You guys are doing the right thing by making your opinions known. If the bay does close, at least you know you did your best to try to save it. If it stays open, well, you can be sure that it was mostly because you chose to speak up. Either way, you should be proud of yourselves for standing up for yourselves and the future generations.

Good luck.

EC

Lone_Wolf
30-08-2006, 12:20 PM
It would be a great day for members of AF to show some solidarity as well.

JasonT
30-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Agreed LoneWolf! (about solidarity)
This is an excellent opportunity to make the politicians aware of how many votes are "fishing" votes.
I'm trying to get as many people as I can to turn up on the day and I encourage all ausfishers to do the same....
Nothing is going to be worse for our cause than looking like a bunch of w##kers. This is exactly what will happen if we get a poor show of numbers.

Large numbers say to the pollies "We care. Look how many we are.. Our support (or lack of) will make a difference to your chances come september 9 - LOOK AFTER US!

A dismal showing however will give the impression that we DON'T care
and that our numbers are not large enough to be of concern when considering policy. We may as well release a press statement saying "Don't worry about us... we're only a few individual whingers. We'll make no difference to your chances of being elected or retaining your seat. - IGNORE US!"

woody74
30-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Love to come and show support but youngest sons 1st b'day party is on Sat, will be there in spirit and beer though ;D, will try and con the big bro into marching in my behalf. CHEERS woody

JasonT
30-08-2006, 01:48 PM
El_Carpo!

:-) Don't think that I consider your excuse of being "too far away" a legitimate one! ;)
After all, it's only one body of water you have to cross! (you have a boat right??)
I'm happy to pick you up at the airport if you can organise a flight arriving early saturday morning!
Hell! I'll even drop you back off after the rally if you like!

Seriously..
Thanks for the support I'm sure it's appreciated by all of us!

Maybe you could write Mr Beattie a letter explaining how these closures will kill any plans you have to holiday and fish in QLD.
Remind him of the exchange rate and the tourist dollars he'll lose! ;D

Jason

el_carpo
31-08-2006, 03:17 AM
;D Hi JasonT,

My only "boat" is a homemade wooden canoe. The first shark that saw me would think he'd died and gone to heaven. ;D A lone fat guy floating in the Pacific in a canoe would look like a taco to some big predator. ;D ;D ;D I think I'll pass.

On the letter writing front, I'm game. If there are any pollies you want me to write to just list contact information and I'll do it. I know what it's like to lose a cherrished fishing spot. Not good. Not good at all. :-/ :'(

EC

Adamy
31-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Hi EC... heres Premier petes email address: thepremier@premiers.qld.gov.au thanks for your support!!!

Adam

el_carpo
01-09-2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks Adamy,

Email sent! Hope it helps!

JasonT
01-09-2006, 11:36 AM
A home made canoe El_Carpo???
Would love to see some pics if you can!

Here is a link to another ausfish topic courtesy of Derek Bullock.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1140918885

This provides more links to contacting govt officials...... Send as many emails as you can! I have!

Thanks again for your support. Let us know if we can return the favor, but let's all hope your government has things a little more in hand than ours!

Jason

GAFYM
01-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Cant be there as have prior appt with a visitor of her majesty but wish u all well.
Have sent SO SORRY PETE my thoughts via email

ALL THE BEST ;) ;)

el_carpo
03-09-2006, 12:28 AM
JasonT,

Sorry for the late response. I'll try to post up a few pics of the canoes I made soon. I took some pictures yesterday but it was dark outside and they didn't show up very good. I'll take some new ones and put them in the boating section probably today or tomorrow (I need my brother to help me carry them out of the garage.)

In the mean time, if you want to see some that probably look a lot better than mine, you can Google "wood strip canoe" and there should be some pics available.

EC