PDA

View Full Version : Support Shane Boese TFPQ Candidate

BAIT_MAN
16-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Thought you might to know a little about me. I am #a local small business operator who has built up a respected bait and tackle business in the Moreton Bay area. I have been involved in commercial fisheries, am heavily involved in recreational fishing both in business and personal participation, #also regularly involved in community activities such as Take-a-kid-fishing-day also a regular sponsor of local schools and fishing clubs in their fundraising activities and competitions. #In addition I also have been a long term sponsor of Youth Programs with the PCYC. #As a Life Member of the Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club, I have also held executive positions which have included Secretary and Commodore.

I am #very aware that Cleveland is currently facing some critical issues in relation to the current government water proposals, and other issues in relation to health and education. #However my #primary focus is on the management of Moreton Bay as the heart and soul of our community and our right to enjoy it. #It is my belief that Moreton Bay is a healthy and sustainable fishery that does not warrant the increase in Green Zones to 30-50% as has been published by the AMCS. The wall of political silence in relation to the Moreton Bay Review does nothing to allay fears within the community for future access to OUR BAY.

Similar reviews and rezonings around the country have left the general public wondering "What happened" as they are left to deal with the social and economic impacts of decisions made on their behalf. Cleveland has the opportunity to break the cycle and be heard. #Sustainable Management does not have to mean exclusion!

“I fish and I vote” has the potential to rock the foundations of government, and the people of Cleveland have the passion to make it happen! - send a message to government on behalf of all the communities in the Moreton Bay region. A vote for me #is a vote for Moreton Bay and your right to enjoy it.

Regards Shane

redspeckle
16-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Shane Boese is Running As Independent candidate for Cleveland on Behalf of TFPQ
IF we want to kept your Fishing and Outdoor activity Rights in Moreton Bay Region Now its time to Act and Do Something about it
I am looking for helpers to support Shane Boese and help him get votes on General State Election on Saturday 9 of September 2006

To help achieve this before hand

Looking for Polling Booth workers to hand how to Vote cards on polling day (Saturday 9th of September)
Support group running around on polling day topping up how to vote cards and refreshments
Scrunterrs to check the counting of the votes when the polling booths are closed
Hand out leaflets and talk to people run a sauage sizzle at Boat Ramps and Public places
Drive around in seat of Cleveland with Vote One for Shane Boese on vehicle
If you live on busy street erect signage with Vote One for Shane Boese on you fence or in your yard
Help Shane Boese meet and greet people at various locations

Ring me on Home phone 38225326 phone /fax or mobile no 0414814452 or e-mail on mbi76581@bigpond.net.au or pm here to help run his campaign

So here is you chance now so don't let it slip by thinking we can't change things by people power we can
I am going to give Shane Boese my full support where I can so now its up to you people out too
Mitch :)

stevedemon
16-08-2006, 06:35 PM
Shane we wish you all the best for the up coming election

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

imported_admin
16-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Shane Boese is Running As Independent candidate for Cleveland on Behalf of TFPQ

That sounds great. But -

Who is Shane Boese ?
Why should I vote for him?
Why is he not publicly stating his position on matters?
What does he stand for?
What are his policies?
What is his exact stance on the bay closures?
Where is his Bio?
Etc.
Etc.

Sorry to be the devils advocate but I see a lot of posts from people like KC about the closures, election, etc. but not from Shane.

BAIT_MAN
16-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Shane Boese is Running As Independent candidate for Cleveland on Behalf of TFPQ #

That sounds great. But -

Who is Shane Boese ?
What does he stand for?
What are his policies?
Where is his Bio?
Etc.
Etc.

Sorry to be the devils advocate but I see a lot of posts from people like KC about the closures, etection, etc. #but not from Shane.

Hi Steve
Mate i put this post up today before the current post went up.
Edited by Moderator. Post below
Regards Shane Boese

kc
16-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Just to clarify one of Steves comments about seeing a lot of posts from me and not a lot from Shane.

The official policy of TFPQ is to have one official spokesman and that is the Chair. The executive can and does authorise additional spokespersons during particular issues or/and at election time. This usually being a candidate or expert.

Every post in a public forum like this can and will come back to bite us if we say the wrong thing so words are chosen carfeully and the message and style consistant. That does not mean however they are always "my" opinion. I know very little about the Bay. I haven't fished it for 30 years. Most of the official TFPQ statements have come as a direct result of input from Brisbane membership, Shane included. While he has not been super active in this site he and his team have been super active within the TFPQ "family" and within the recreational fishing community of the Bay.

This is a good guy, a worker and, thankfully, a bombastic, dogmatic and tireless worker. He has broad sholders and will need them. He also needs the 100% support of the Ausfish "family".

You guys are amongst the most educated and effective recreational fishing "lobby group" I have ever seen. I personally learn so much from this forum.

I very much like Shane's line (his, not mine)..A vote for me is a vote for Moreton Bay and your right to enjoy it.

We have stuck our chin out here by standing in a Bayside seat (as opposed to just sitting on the fence throwing rocks).

If TFPQ fails to make a significant statement about the fishing vote in Moreton Bay in Cleveland, then mark my words....The Government, any Government, will have nothing to fear from the fishing vote...ever...and the environmental lobby will absolutely determine the outcome of the rezoning.

This is your Franklin Dam guys. Don't let this chance to make a difference go begging. Man a booth, Help the cause, get involved. This is YOUR Bay. This is the first time since 1995 that recreational fishing is an election issue.
That the conservatives are issuing press releases about the Moreton Bay zoning is proof positive that TFPQ has put this issue on the political radar and that polling must be showing this or the pollies would not want to even know about it.

During the last Federal election the mainstream media didn't want to know about us. Look in tommorrows Courier Mail. The Fishing Party (Qld) is now news and so is the "fishing vote".

After the elction we will be viewed as a "failed joke" or a "major new force"...the balls in your court.

KC

imported_admin
17-08-2006, 01:56 AM
Thanks for clearing that up. I have been getting a lot of people asking me these questions and sending me PM's, etc. Even got one nice little PM ;) about my alliance with the fishing party. As stated to that person, I am not a Member of any political party. The fishing party, like any other political party, can use this site to answer questions and express their views on matters that concern fishing.

Those people that have questions and comments regarding these matters please post them up here.

BAIT_MAN
17-08-2006, 06:48 AM
Thank you all for your interest in myself and the campaign I am fighting to try to keep Moreton Bay accessable to fishing, boating and many of the activities we take for granted.

The interest in who I am and what I stand for has been overwhelming and in addition to KC's reply I am happy to provide some more personal details.

Many of you already know me and are customers at my Bait and Tackle store over the past 12 years, but many of you I have only known in the short time I have been an Ausfish Member.

I am just an ordinary working Dad with a special interest in Moreton Bay. I work full time at TJM, own and operate a bayside Bait and Tackle business, and live locally with my wife and 4 children. #We have built our entire lifestyle around the Bay and can not imagine living anywhere else. One of the things that sets baysiders apart from other areas i.e. Gold Coast is that there is a real sense of community and people are passionate about each other as well as issues that affect where they live. #We cant change interest rates, we cant change fuel prices, but one thing we can affect is the future of Moreton Bay by actively letting govt know that WE LOVE our bay and our lifestyle and are prepared to fight against the possible threat to withdraw or reduce our access. #The Bay is fishing better than it has in years which shows that current regulations are doing their job - there is no need for further green zones. #There are so many other options that will allow us to protect our Bay, yet the AMCS is advocating for 30 - 50% closures. #Sound familiar? - The Great Barrier Reef - and the closures were mainly prime fishing regions. #By making a noise now, it sends a message that the people of the bayside will not stand back and play dead and accept whatever is handed down by the Moreton Bay Review. #And what better place to make a show of people power than at the polls!

Unfortunately with the calling of the election so early and at such short notice, The Fishing Party Qld is still undergoing the lengthy process of state registration and has not been ratified in time for this election, so I am running as a candidate endorsed by The Fishing Party Qld, but will be listed as an Independant on the Ballot Paper. #As I can only run in one electorate, it was a difficult decision to select "which one", Cleveland was chosen as I felt, in conjunction with TFPQ executives that this electorate had the greatest potential to make a statement on behalf of all the bayside communities.

A vote for me is more than just a protest vote against the establishment, it is a statement that fisherman are not an apathetic lot and they are prepared to stand up and be counted rather than just talk about it. #And it is not just fishermen are risk if Moreton Bay follows in the footsteps of The Great Barrier Reef, Harvey Bay and the Northern Coast of NSW to name a few - it is families, commercial operators, retailers, wholesalers, boaties and more. #

Regards Shane Boese

Argle
17-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Wish you the best of luck Shane, as a member of MBTBC I have seen Shanes work and think KC has got the right man for the job. Just a shame cleveland is not my electorate otherwise mine would be one vote you could count on.
Keep up the good work

Cheers and beers
Scott

kc
17-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Well put Steve ;) Still notice Mr Laming never came back :-/

At least, in 2 years of constantly using this site as a forum for information collection and policy development every Ausfisher knows we are not "Johny-come-latelies" and have a real, ongoing and genuine interest in recreational fishing.

I know all of "us" don't always agree, but at least we all participate, after all, we are fishers first and "politicians" second.

Personally, I would welcome more political commentary on this forum. I sent Mr Laming a PM after his last(only) post and am still waiting for a respone.

Don't want to knock the guy, at least he has stuck his head in and been active in actually doing something positive about the Bay rezoning, it is just a bit ordinary that Steve is now being accussed of political bias when this has been an open forum for years and the one TFPQ has used as a sounding board to the recreational fishing community to great effect.

KC

redspeckle
17-08-2006, 06:58 PM
My new moible no is 0414814452 to be contacted on
Mitch

imported_admin
17-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Well put Steve ;) Still notice Mr Laming never came back :-/
KC

I doubt Mr Lamming will be back, but would be great if did, he would be more than welcome to come back and give us some answers and replies and state his position on a few matters.

It seems like the typical "Look what the other guys is doing" campain and not a word about what they will be doing.

hicksy
17-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Do you really think Laming was ever interested????

Have a forum ignite everyones interest then walk away.

Sounds like a great way to try and throw a few votes to his Liberal chum in Cleveland.

People are kidding themselves if they think the Liberals care about this.

It was all just Political grandstanding to try and take votes from Labor.

This is why voters need to know where TFP preferences will be going.

kc
17-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Hicksy your red undies are showing mate ;)

I would welcome Mr Laming back to the forum, or any pollie of any ilk.

TFPQ has a very open line of communication with Ron Boswell and Warren Etcsch.
It also has regular contact with De-Anne Kelly and Barnaby Joyce as well as Jan McLucas from Labor (nice lady).

It cops the occassional kick in the slats from shadow environment spokesman Anthony Albenase (May have that spelling wrong...sorry), but trys to talk to him but gets no joy.

We have a direct and effective link to Minister Boyles office (Nick Heath) and.,all in all, get a fair hearing from both sides, but certainly, it is fair to say, a better hearing from the right.

Hicksy and I have already had this discussion and both understand each others view.

It is TFPQ policy to allow each candidate management team to make preference recomendations to the executive and highly likely the executive will adopt these recomendations.

We are still considering a Vote 1 only campaign but our "job" is to get the best deal for fishing, end of story.

I am delighted that Minister Boyles office has released a statement today regarding the Bay. Follows...as does our official response.

Regards

KC

No ban on recreational fishing in Moreton Bay The Beattie Government will not ban recreational fishing in Moreton Bay,

Environment Minister Desley Boyle said today.

"We will guarantee access to Moreton bay for recreational fishers.

"The Marine Park zoning plan has to be reviewed after 10 years, the review is due in 2008, and hasn't even started yet.

"People who enjoy fishing should not be alarmed by a scare campaign.

"Mums and Dads and families who like to throw in a line can be assured that we will guarantee access for recreational fishing

"Our review will be open and transparent and based on science.

"Labor has a proven track record in looking after people who fish.

"In the lead up to the recent rezoning of the Great Sandy Marine Park, a similar fear campaign was mounted and proved untrue. We guaranteed continued access for fishers - with 96% of the Marine Park available to recreational fishers.

"Labor knows how loved Moreton Bay is and we reassure fishers they will always be a part of this paradise on Brisbane's doorstep," Ms Boyle said.

Ends

Media Release 17th August 06

Ministers Comments do little to ease fishers fears.

Today’s press release from Minister Desley Boyle’s office today is welcome news but does little to ease the fears of recreational fishers burnt by the experiences of the marine park rezoning in North Queensland.

“While we are delighted that recreational fishing access to Moreton Bay is clearly on the political agenda but the same rhetoric about open and transparent public consultation and science based rational behind the decision making process is all too familiar”, said Fishing Party Chairman Kevin Collins.

“We know that politics, not science, was behind the radical rezoning of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park and have always expected that political lobbying and deal making would also be behind the rezoning of Moreton Bay as well”. “Science is used as an excuse, not a reason”.

“The fishing community sat on its hands and trusted the bureaucrats to act with integrity and honesty in regards the Great Barrier Reef rezoning while environmental lobby groups worked behind the scenes, hand in glove with the bureaucracy, to our ultimate disadvantage”, he said.

“Never again”, “Never we will sit quietly and trust the consultation process”.

“Minister Boyle acknowledged herself, only last week in Parliament, in response to a question from National Party MP Mr Horan, that trust in the process had been damaged by the experiences of the Northern Marine Park rezoning.”

“The Fishing Party (Qld) has made this an issue and will continue to keep it an issue both during and well beyond the election, regardless of who wins”.

“One of the buzz words of the marine park closure “industry” is the “precautionary principle”. “In years past this had another name, Common Sense, and very little, if any, of that has been shown during the marine parks debates.”

Media Contact Kevin Collins 0414 785 462 : kc@whitsunday.net.au

imported_admin
19-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Sadly a statement such as
"No ban on recreational fishing in Moreton Bay The Beattie Government will not ban recreational fishing in Moreton Bay, " means nothings.

As I said in another post about this topic, they could easily close 90% of the bay but still stand by their statement as they have not banned fishing in the bay, simply retricted it. If tehy would have the guts to come out and say that there will be no further restrictions or bans then that would be great, but I guess they need to keep their options open with the greens.

Surely they do not think that fishos are that stupid that they would read a statement as this as positive.

troy
21-08-2006, 07:44 PM
The way i see things in this issue is cut and dry.
Just ask what party will promise to resign and make sure it is binding that they will not ever while they are in power that the closures will not go ahead.
Yo have to tie them down in a way they cannot ever go back on there word.
This in my opinion but it is the only way you will win
Troy

PinHead
21-08-2006, 07:47 PM
And are all the pigs fed, troy?

troy
22-08-2006, 05:49 AM
Are you talking about politicans Pinhead.
Troy

PinHead
22-08-2006, 11:03 AM
No troy..it means..are all pigs fed and ready to fly cos pigs will fly before any politician does what you are suggesting.

Jeremy
22-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Mitch,

you know you have my full support and I will be donating time to the cause on each of the next two weekends before the election and on the day of the election. I hope many others also stand up to be counted and put their hands up too.

How about it everyone? Are you prepared to help the fight for all of our angling rights?

Jeremy

troy
22-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Pinhead, i know what you meant and you are most likely right however if you do get a party that bows to pressure and says there will be no more closures so does that mean you will vote for that party.
Surely you can ask if they are to be trusted are they pepared to resign or forfeit a years salary if they go back on there word.
I realy believe that pollies shoud be well and truly bound by there promises.
When they cannot give an iron clad gaurantee then why vote for any of them.
As stated above you are probably right and it is a shame that we can never trust them no matter which party they are.
Troy

fishingjew
22-08-2006, 06:12 PM
TROY

Pollie Spin
If you watch them, politicians of any party will always answer questions the way they want (often without actually answering what was asked) and will always put a spin on it.
You have to listen carefully to start with, but you'll pick it up fairly easily. For example:
Question: Will taxes rise after the election?
Answer: I can promise there will be no new taxes if we are elected.
Sounds good doesn't it? But it isn't an answer to what was asked.
The question was will taxes rise - that was ignored. Instead the old line of "no new taxes" was trotted out. That doesn't mean taxes won't rise, just that there won't be any new ones (probably).

PinHead
22-08-2006, 06:52 PM
TROY

Pollie Spin
If you watch them, politicians of any party will always answer questions the way they want (often without actually answering what was asked) and will always put a spin on it.
You have to listen carefully to start with, but you'll pick it up fairly easily. For example:
Question: Will taxes rise after the election?
Answer: I can promise there will be no new taxes if we are elected.
Sounds good doesn't it? But it isn't an answer to what was asked.
The question was will taxes rise - that was ignored. Instead the old line of "no new taxes" was trotted out. That doesn't mean taxes won't rise, just that there won't be any new ones (probably).

LOL..u got it mate..and if they want a new tax they introduce it and just call it a levy.

Adamy
22-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Mitch,

you know you have my full support and I will be donating time to the cause on each of the next two weekends before the election and on the day of the election. I hope many others also stand up to be counted and put their hands up too.

How about it everyone? Are you prepared to help the fight for all of our angling rights?

Jeremy

I think this was the original question as asked by Jeremy ;)

manchild
22-08-2006, 07:54 PM
if you guys still believe that you have any say on election day you are fools,sorry dont mean to be harsh just realistic.Pollies will promise anything to get your vote,that doesnt mean they come good on that promise.
im disillusioned long time ago,if ya still have some faith good on ya .
George

PinHead
22-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Cleveland - District Profile : 2006 State General Election

Electors Enrolled: Female: 14,788
Male: 13,372
Total: 28,160

Returning Officer: RYAN, Denis

Contact Numbers Physical Address Postal Address
Phone: 1300 881 665 20 Burnett St
WELLINGTON POINT QLD 4160 PO Box 946
CLEVELAND QLD 4163
Fax: (07) 3822 3469

Candidates:
THOMAS, Robyn (The Greens)
TRIM, Andrew (Liberal Party)
BOESE, Shane
WEIGHTMAN, Phil (Australian Labor Party)

manchild
22-08-2006, 08:13 PM
hmmm Doesnt seems to say anything about the fishing party after his name does that mean his an independent candidate who try to get votes here by false statesments?
George

choppa
22-08-2006, 09:09 PM
i think this needs a bit of the old choppa influence,,,,,,,

don't laugh,,, i've been approached

does it really matter in the end whether the candidate has letters following his name?????

or is it more important to place the trust in him/her on carrying out there promises????????

and when we all look back on it,,,,,,how many pollies really do carry out there promises

this issue is important,,,,and yes to a rec fisho it may have more significance than the health/petrol/banana/immigrant/terrorist/cpi index/water restriction etc etc etc issues,,,

but when you have the power,,,,,thats when the game begins,,,

any way,,,the secret is out,,,,,2/9/06,,, being bound by work 6 days a week leaves my saturdays tied,,,

HOW ABOUT YOURS?????????????

kc
22-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi Manchild. While this has been covered in past posts it is no doubt important to cover the issue you raised again.

Shane is a member of TFPQ and was, until his nomination, Chairman of the South Brisbane branch (our constitution requires his position to be resigned on pre-selection).

TFPQ has, in August, lodged all the nesessary documents required with the ECQ for registration as a political party in Qld (we are already registered Federally)...all with a view towards a Feb election (Like the premier always said).

We then got "caught short" by the snap poll.

As such Shane, & our other 3 candidates will be "Fishing Party endorsed Independants".

Run by TFPQ, paid for by TFPQ and standing for and on behalf of TFPQ its ideals, members and supporters.

Coreflutes, How To Votes and media will all carry our brand.

So no, he is not trying to get your votes under false pretences. TFPQ has been a victim of timing and is making the best fist of the situation given the circumstances.

KC

manchild
23-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Thank you kc to clean it up .I should have been reading all the threads
Thanks
George

ratherbefishin
28-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Just a couple of quick thoughts on this campaign (IMHO):
(Please note the term "we" below is used to describe fishos in general not TFPQ, I count myself as one of them, fishos that is)

1. We need to stress the point that the fishing lobby is not extremistly (is that a word?) against every form of closure, eg the seasonal closure on Fraser Is seems to work well and I havent met even one fisho who doesnt agree with the concept and the need. We need to stress that what Fishos want is responsible and scientifically based sustainable management. That means a combination of bag limits, size limits (and in some cases, some closures) WHERE NECESSARY to ensure that we can enjoy the fishery resource indefinitely. We (or at least me) are not ANTI-GREEN we are SENSIBLE-GREEN, preserve for sustainable use, not lock away from every-one.

2. Shane, it's getting down to the wire, you need to announce your preferences BASED UPON FISHING ISSUES. Obviously individuals can vote however they want and base it upon whatever issues they want, but they are now looking to you for guidance on which of the major parties presents the best option for them on fishing issues. I guess thats the responsibility you must assume if you stand on one issue alone. Your supporters deserve to have their vote count even after they've made their point by supporting you, so please indicate preferences and encourage your supporters to use preferences.

3. TFPQ, I fully support your stand and were I in one of your electorates you'd get my number 1 vote but I'm not in your electorate so now I must decide between the parties I have on offer. TFPQ needs to issue a general statement of preferences based upon the overall policies of the major parties or needs to issue an electorate by electorate preferences based upon individual candidates stated positions. (Obviously the former is simpler).

The above points need to be widely publicised WELL before polling day.

seatime
28-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Just a couple of quick thoughts on this campaign (IMHO):
(Please note the term "we" below is used to describe fishos in general not TFPQ, I count myself as one of them, fishos that is)

1. #We need to stress the point that the fishing lobby is not extremistly (is that a word?) against every form of closure, eg the seasonal closure on Fraser Is seems to work well and I havent met even one fisho who doesnt agree with the concept and the need. #We need to stress that what Fishos want is responsible and scientifically based sustainable management. #That means a combination of bag limits, size limits (and in some cases, some closures) WHERE NECESSARY to ensure that we can enjoy the fishery resource indefinitely. #We (or at least me) are not ANTI-GREEN we are SENSIBLE-GREEN, preserve for sustainable use, not lock away from every-one.

2. #Shane, it's getting down to the wire, you need to announce your preferences BASED UPON FISHING ISSUES. #Obviously individuals can vote however they want and base it upon whatever issues they want, but they are now looking to you for guidance on which of the major parties presents the best option for them on fishing issues. #I guess thats the responsibility you must assume if you stand on one issue alone. #Your supporters deserve to have their vote count even after they've made their point by supporting you, so please indicate preferences and encourage your supporters to use preferences.

3. #TFPQ, I fully support your stand and were I in one of your electorates you'd get my number 1 vote but I'm not in your electorate so now I must decide between the parties I have on offer. #TFPQ needs to issue a general statement of preferences based upon the overall policies of the major parties or needs to issue an electorate by electorate preferences based upon individual candidates stated positions. #(Obviously the former is simpler).

The above points need to be widely publicised WELL before polling day.

G'day ratherbefishin

Your Number 1 of the above points is being widely publicised, the brochures and post cards distributed to the public cover a lot of what you're saying.
As for the preferences, there's another thread here dealing with them, don't know if I agree that preferences must be made anyway. I believe the current approach is the correct one.

I'm lucky enough to be in Cleveland, so TFPQ gets my vote, if I didn't live here it would be the Coalition getting the nod, it's time for a change, Beattie is way too arrogant to stay.

regards

redspeckle
28-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Here is Shane Boese on Campaign Trail from weekend

redspeckle
28-08-2006, 06:42 PM
[smiley=dankk2.gif] to Gary & Jeremy and Steve helping Shane Boese on the weekend just gone getting out and meeting the people at the boat ramps and Electrolate of Cleveland
Mitch

seatime
28-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Shane Boese talking with the public at Wellington Point boat ramp Saturday 26th.

ratherbefishin
29-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Gelsec,
I'm only one electorate north of you (Lytton) which includes the Wynnum/Manly area (as well as the Mud, ST Helena and Green Is, not that there's many voters there, but I have noticed a few fish about). I haven't seen anything about TFPQ around here (I'll admit I havent been into Water Tower Bait & Tackle for a few weeks). The only way I know about the issue at all is from this website.
I am however an active member of a major political party and I am personnally very cogniscent of avoiding abusing this website for political issues, but when it comes to fishing issues and where they cross over with politics, sometimes you just need to call a spade a spade. So here goes:

I personally know our local candidate and have 'gotten in her ear' about fishing issues. (Her? that gives away the party allegiance doesnt it! There's only 1 female candidate in Lytton, so I guess I can stop beating around the bush, Amanda Wiklund, Liberal) She is now, as well aware of the issues as I can make her, and she has been asking the Liberal Party HQ repeatedly for a formal policy statement/media release. I know that her counterpart in Cleveland, Andrew Trim, has been talking at length with TFPQ and Shane and between the Amanda and Andrew, I suspect the pressure they both brought to bear on Coalition HQ was, at least in part, responsible for the Coalition media release on Sat.
Amanda has openly stated her support for sustainable management of and access to the fishery, rather than closures.

I have personally spoken to the Greens Candidate here in Lytton and he was openly advocating large scale closures of Moreton Bay AND closing beaches to 4WD traffic. He wants to have only buses with trailers on the beaches. When I challenged him that it was impractical for me and my family of 5 to carry gear for a camping/fishing holiday on a bus, he had no response, didnt even try to offer an alternative. When I put the premise to him that closures were a cop out by those who were not prepared to make the effort to manage an issue, again he had no response. I pressed him for a few more issues and he just packed up and moved on, he had no answers. (We did agree to some extent on the Dams issue though)

I would like the opportunity to speak to the Labor Candidate in Lytton but he seems to be too busy with the state level campaign and is nowhere to be seen (other than his corflutes) around the electorate. I guess that shouldnt surprise me he hasnt been available to his constituents for the past few years, why should that change now. Anyway I digress, on that basis I'd have to make an assessment on the Labor Party line. Since Beattie did the side-step down at Wello Pt two weeks ago and given the history of preference/vote deals between the greens and Labor, I wouldnt trust them an inch on this issue.

You all, can call me biased if you want, I have declared my party loyalty above, but in my opinion if you live in Lytton and you fish there is only one choice:

Amanda Wiklund, Liberal.

(And if she gets in, I will ensure this issue stays in the forefront of her mind)

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
29-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Without meaning any offence, I think it is a shame that Shane is not more appropriately attired. You can shoot me down and you can say what you like, but people do definitely like someone to 'look the part'.

Just my opinion

Dave

ratherbefishin
29-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Guys,
One other point I meant to make above.
Talk to your local candidates, face to face if you can, or on the phone or email if you cant. Let them know your position on this issue and ask them theirs. That way you can make your own assessment in your electorate. If your in a 'safe' seat (of either persuasion) then its even more important to let them know your opinion. If your in a swinging seat then be a bit more coy and seek their opinions first before you declare your hand.
Either way, this election campaign is THE BEST chance we have of bringing this issue to the forefront of the public and the political agenda, don't waste it. get out there and let them know its an issue IN YOUR ELECTORATE.

Hunta
31-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Without meaning any offence, I think it is a shame that Shane is not more appropriately attired. You can shoot me down and you can say what you like, but people do definitely like someone to 'look the part'.

Just my opinion

Dave

So which one is Shane Boese? Is he the one with the blue Tshirt and shorts? or the one in the other photo with the Fishing Party Polo shirt on? If he's the one with the Fishing Party shirt on - then I think that he is "appropriately attired". I dont think we expect a fishing party representative to wear a suit. Do we?? Now on the other hand if its the guy with the shorts and tshirt - then reel nauti has a point.

Shirl

David_P
31-08-2006, 07:59 PM

Just my opinion

Dave

So which one is Shane Boese? Is he the one with the blue Tshirt and shorts? or the one in the other photo with the Fishing Party Polo shirt on? If he's the one with the Fishing Party shirt on - then I think that he is "appropriately attired". I dont think we expect a fishing party representative to wear a suit. Do we?? Now on the other hand if its the guy with the shorts and tshirt - then reel nauti has a point.

Shirl

Hi Shirl,

Yes, Shane is the one in TFPQ polo shirt and I agree with you that he is more than adequately attired. Just because someone wears a suit, or tie doesn't mean they are not full of the proverbial. Just listen to the regular pollies on both sides of parliament :-?

Regards,
Dave.

seatime
31-08-2006, 09:54 PM
A busy time at the Qld Fishing Party stand at the Brisbane International Boat Show, Thursday 31st.

kc
01-09-2006, 12:05 AM
& I look forward to manning the TFPQ stand at the boatshow on Saturday & Sunday Morning.

I'll be the one in the Fishing party polo & the bald scone (@ least I have something in common with John Howard)

If I was wearing my "preferred fishing atire", you would smell me before you saw me"........I might not look really flash but sh*%^ I can catch fish

KC

Hunta
01-09-2006, 12:35 AM
Thats exactly what we need Mr KC, is real people representing real people. Not some polished suit pushing some artificial and hyped up agenda. I tell you what smells fishy, is Premier Beatties promises, thats what smells fishy! and I'll tell you another thing that smells fishy is those people who pretend to offer support but are really trying to tear you down, that smells fishy too.

I have been a guest on here for a long time and I only just found out how to put my name in, actally my son showed me how. But now that I am here, finally lets tell Mr Beattie he smells, something is off in his office and I think its him, Its time to throw out the trash.

Shirl

Burley_Boy
02-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Well I joined TFPQ on Friday at the Boatshow and then walked around the Gold Coast Show wearing my Fishing Party Cap.
Wouldn't you know it the Libs and Labor had their own stands ::) ::)
Well that became interesting, first up Liberals and I told them that this election the issue for me was fishing in Moreton bay and in a wider sense the concern I have about radical green views having disproportional power over government policies.
Well the Libs were quite cordial but the discussion didn't get much further.

Next the Labor stand, here the chap with the mouth (sorry but thats the only description I have) immediately picked up the logo on the cap and started talking wildly. I once again aired my concerns but this time the response was a bit more aloof a bit like "you've made up your mind so bugger off..." well I'm well and truly a swing voter I pointed out and there is no TFPQ candidate in my seat (Broadwater) but it is a key seat for Labor...
By this time the chap in the suit started talking so I asked him to introduce himself, Senator Joe Ludwig federal shadow minister for Justice and customs.
Well that was like a lamb to slaughter ;D ;D
I told him what I thought about the greens influence in shutting down the GBR and his response was a bit airy so to speak, so I asked him if he actually knew about the issue at all or I think I said something like.. do you know what you are talking about. Well I'll be buggered but he responded that he did not actually but he would look into the #issue when he got back to his office.

Anyway, I'd just like to encourage people to talk to their representatives and send emails when they have a chance. Imagine if 50 people had come up to them at the show with the same concern!! We do make a difference by being a vocal group.
Sorry about the long post I tried to abbreviate...

I'm a true swing voter but have supported Beattie for the last few elections, this time I think that I'll do the swing. I was certainly not impressed by the attitude I met at the Labor stand although the local representative is probably the hardest working politician I've seen so she has a lot of street cred.

Good luck to TFPQ and in particular in Cleveland. :) #

S.S.
04-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Checked the long range forecast and it looks as though the weather won't be great for fishing on the weekend. Will be supporting Shane and handing out how to vote cards on election day. Looking forward to the experience and meeting some Ausfishers as well :)

Hooker1
04-09-2006, 03:20 PM
What is Shane Boese stand on Professional Fisherman using the bay? Does he consider Professional Fishermans use of the bay sustainable?

Argle
04-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Hey Mitch, was nice to meet you at the stand on Friday. Keep up the good work, and all the best Shane for this weekend. Ill be working (again :-/ ::) >:() but lets hope the outcome helps keep fishing well and truly in the political limelight.

Cheers and beers
Scott

kc
04-09-2006, 06:38 PM
In regards the TFPQ stand on commercial fishing in the Bay (& elsewhere) it is covered in our policy document.

In essence we support all sustainable fishing and likewise oppose all forms of unsustainable fishing.

We support the rights of every Australian to access our seafood, most certainaly including non fishers and a viable commercial fishery is both important and to be encouraged.

That said, and we have already had this discussion with QSIA. The Fishing Party and commercial fishers are "brother in arms" on a number of issues but will never agree on others.

We have a seriuos problem with inshore Beam & Otter Board trawl. The by-catch issue is just too great and not only does this fishery damage inshore fin fish stocks (which rec fishers target), it also damages the long term viability of the inshore net fishery.

We are oppossed to fisheries which are export driven and do not meet the stated aim of the commercial sector (to provide fresh seafood for Australians). Such fisheries as the live trout trade are not supported and we have a policy which dictates that at least 60% of all commercial catches are to be directed to the dometic market.

We also oppose the commercial harvest of all billfish species.

There are always going to be sticking points with recs and pro's over catch allocation and no doubt, pretty strong feelings about this on both sides of the fence.

The bigger risk however is the common enemy, the ultra green lobby and we need to recognise that fact and move on.

At the end of the day, we are all just fishermen and TFPQ respects the rights of individuals to earn a decent living and also wants us all to be able to buy Australian fish in our fish shops, restaurants and supermarkets. The day we are a BASA free zone can't come too soon.

KC

Hooker1
05-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi KC,

Thanks for anwering my questions. The reason why I specifically asked about Moreton Bay was because the TFPQ policy document is not clear enough with regard to issues with this Bay. Beam and Otter board is obvously opposed, but what about other commercial forms of fishing in the Bay? Do you support a buy back of Moreton Bay Commercial fishing licences? Do you support closed seasons for species within the bay? Do you support the closure of some areas of the bay or none at all?

Does any of your funding come from the commercial sector?

Regards,
Brian.

kc
05-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Hi Brian

In dot point reply.

Beam and Otter board is obvously opposed, Yes

but what about other commercial forms of fishing in the Bay? We do not oppose sustainable commercial fishing.

Do you support a buy back of Moreton Bay Commercial fishing licences? Yes. If for reasons of fisheries management or greater public resource allocation a commercial fisher is forced out, then they should be duely compensated. Buy backs are the best option.

Do you support closed seasons for species within the bay? If a particular species is "in trouble" (& nothing I have seen leads me to that belief) then closed spawning seasons can be a good idea. The closed season on Barra for example has been an outstanding success. It does raise the point that lock-outs are a last resort, not a first option. I was told over the weekend that the bay is enjoying the best snapper season in years so current management regimes must already be working. At this stage we do not believe closed seasons on any particular species are warranted but would alter this view if true science could show a need for a particular species which aggregates for spawning and is then targeted to a point of unsustainablity.

Do you support the closure of some areas of the bay or none at all? Closures are a last resort for a failing fishery, so unless we see some evidence of seriuos and unsustainable overfishing we would not support any closures.

Does any of your funding come from the commercial sector? No, not $1

Cheers

KC

seatime
05-09-2006, 04:46 PM
TFPQ endorsed candidate Shane Boese on the campaign trail, Quarry Rd Birkdale.
Stop and have a chat as you pass or sound your horn.

Chaz
05-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Shane Boese is Running As Independent candidate for Cleveland on Behalf of TFPQ #

That sounds great. But -

Who is Shane Boese ?
What does he stand for?
What are his policies?
Where is his Bio?
Etc.
Etc.

Sorry to be the devils advocate but I see a lot of posts from people like KC about the closures, election, etc. #but not from Shane.

I can find some answers to the questions above but nothing of substance on anything other than bay closures. #On one hand I wish Shane all the best for Saturday but I won't be voting for him. #I'm not confident Shane would be any more than a one issue politician. #Will Shane represent the interests of ALL his constituents or only act in the interests of #the fishing party? #What does he stand for? #What are his policies on the vast range of other issues that are of interest to the other members of my family? #I am specifically concerned that although officially an independent, he is essentially a Fishing Party puppet if I have followed this thread properly. #I don't want a member of parliament who only works for a special interest group. #Yes! I have an "I fish and I vote" sticker on car and boat and I do get in the ear of every pollie I can get hold of. #I'm not the Devil's Advocate here; just offering some feedback on something of importance to me and my family.

seatime
05-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Hi Chaz

If you're after policy statements why don't you contact The Fishing Party directly.

http://www.fishingparty.com.au

Chaz
05-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Hi Chaz

If you're after policy statements why don't you contact The Fishing Party directly.

http://www.fishingparty.com.au

I'll check it out and get back.

BAIT_MAN
05-09-2006, 09:39 PM

That sounds great. But -

Who is Shane Boese ?
What does he stand for?
What are his policies?
Where is his Bio?
Etc.
Etc.

Sorry to be the devils advocate but I see a lot of posts from people like KC about the closures, election, etc. #but not from Shane.

I can find some answers to the questions above but nothing of substance on anything other than bay closures. #On one hand I wish Shane all the best for Saturday but I won't be voting for him. #I'm not confident Shane would be any more than a one issue politician. #Will Shane represent the interests of ALL his constituents or only act in the interests of #the fishing party? #What does he stand for? #What are his policies on the vast range of other issues that are of interest to the other members of my family? #I am specifically concerned that although officially an independent, he is essentially a Fishing Party puppet if I have followed this thread properly. #I don't want a member of parliament who only works for a special interest group. #Yes! I have an "I fish and I vote" sticker on car and boat and I do get in the ear of every pollie I can get hold of. #I'm not the Devil's Advocate here; just offering some feedback on something of importance to me and my family.

Hi Chaz
Mate i dont say much here but your questions do need to be answered.

Yes I do have views on social, economic and community issues. #

As a TFPQ preferred candidate, I am contesting the election on their platform of fishing issues - in particular Moreton Bay. #Even though I am an Independent on the Ballot Paper, I am essentially TFPQ and guided by their policies which makes it inappropriate for me to campaign on issues that fall outside those policies.

Should I find myself elected to public Office on September 9, I will have the luxury of being able to vote on issues by way of conscience rather than having to "tow the party line" like many of the majors.

I am fairly sure that the Greens started as a "One Issue" Party and have evolved into an organisation capable of running 75 state candidates with policies covering all aspects of politics (correct me if I am mistaken). #

The point is, we all need to start somewhere, and this is where TFPQ is starting - #with genuine people who have not yet been tarnished by the political process, but are prepared to stand up for what they believe in, in what seems like a David and Golliath situation...... and we know who won that one dont we ....

Chaz I hope this has answered your questions and should you have any more I pop in here from time to time and will reply if required.

Regards # #
Shane Boese # #
Inderpendent Candidate for Cleveland #
Endorsed by The Fishing Party Queensland #

RASA
05-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Chaz

I guess this means that you know all the policies of the somebody else who you are voting for. Would he be a "PUPPET" of another party by any chance or would he be able to dictate and control his ideals to his constituents.

Also would somebody else or anybody you voted for before represent the best interests of ALL his constituents. A very rare commodity in major party structure.

You can have an each way bet by giving Shane No 1 to make the single issue protest and then give No 2 to the bloke who addresses ALL your issues #and then walk away. Just a thought.

Bob Smith

Chaz
06-09-2006, 06:53 AM
Yes I do have views on social, economic and community issues. #

As a TFPQ preferred candidate, I am contesting the election on their platform of fishing issues - in particular Moreton Bay. #Even though I am an Independent on the Ballot Paper, I am essentially TFPQ and guided by their policies which makes it inappropriate for me to campaign on issues that fall outside those policies.

Should I find myself elected to public Office on September 9, I will have the luxury of being able to vote on issues by way of conscience rather than having to "tow the party line" like many of the majors.

Shane,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I take your point re: obvious and declared affiliations. What I would like to know is something about your conscience and your views on social, economic, and community issues. Are you capable of representing more than just fishing interests?

Brenden

Chaz
06-09-2006, 07:23 AM
Chaz
I guess this means that you know all the policies of the somebody else who you are voting for.
Bob Smith

Yes Bob, pretty much. #And major party policy statements help me predict how a candidate affilitated with a major party would vote on a range of issues. #I know where Shane stands on fishing issues - I want to know what would happen if an issue like Abortion (just an example) came up. #

Also would somebody else or anybody you voted for before represent the best interests of ALL his constituents. A very rare commodity in major party structure.

You can't please all of the people all of the time. #I will vote for the person who will represent me on a majority of issues important to me. #I don't know how Shane might represent constituents on anything other than fishing.

You can have an each way bet by giving Shane No 1 to make the single issue protest and then give No 2 to the bloke who addresses ALL your issues #and then walk away. Just a thought.

You make a good point here and I am considering the value of a protest vote. #My concern is that the person who gets my number 2 vote might not get in. #If Shane does get up, in this scenario, I don't know if he will represents my interests.

I appreciate your input. #You might have guessed that I am trying to make sense of it all and I do think my vote is important.

Brenden

Gazza
06-09-2006, 07:39 AM
I know where Shane stands on fishing issues - I want to know what would happen if an issue like Abortion (just an example) came up.

;D Hi Chaz...maybe "not" a good example :-?

ALL politicians have a "conscience vote" i.e. INDEPENDENT on "this" issue...

Q. do you "know" which way your preferred candidate will vote ,on abortion??

p.s. gaz-opinion , I "thought" it was up to the individual(independent) woman i.e. with the pregnant "issue" :o
(religion is in there somehere too)

Jeremy
06-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Yes Bob, pretty much. #And major party policy statements help me predict how a candidate affilitated with a major party would vote on a range of issues. #I know where Shane stands on fishing issues - I want to know what would happen if an issue like Abortion (just an example) came up. #
Brenden

That is quite a statement to make. Did you know (for instance) that the Beattie Gov't would vote to make lying in parliament no longer an offfence? Did you know the Howard Gov't's policy on Industrial relations and that they would vote to wipe out much of the power of the unions and our rights at work?

These sort of examples could go on forever. Point is, I don't think anyone can honestly say they know what the party they vote for will do. They just have to hope. I would rather have an independent who doesn't have to vote along party lines and acting on their conscience, than a Government with a big majority who can do whatever they like.

Shane Boese has BUCKLEY'S chance of getting elected. Compare his campaign to that of liberal or labour. But the %age of votes he gets is critical in sending the message to whoever does get elected. If he gets enough votes, a strong message will be sent and that is the best we can hope for.

Jeremy

BAIT_MAN
06-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Chaz
I guess this means that you know all the policies of the somebody else who you are voting for.
Bob Smith

You can't please all of the people all of the time. #I will vote for the person who will represent me on a majority of issues important to me. #I don't know how Shane might represent constituents on anything other than fishing.

You make a good point here and I am considering the value of a protest vote. #My concern is that the person who gets my number 2 vote might not get in. #If Shane does get up, in this scenario, I don't know if he will represents my interests.

I appreciate your input. #You might have guessed that I am trying to make sense of it all and I do think my vote is important.

Brenden

"Brendan you are obviously politically astute & one of the very few voters who carefully analysis every candidates policy platform. This is rare and nice to see an individual so careful about the real value of their single vote.
All I offer voters is me, a family man, a small business owner and a person who shares all the same issues as the majority of Australians. I have children going through school, I have a mortgage, I need a decent and affordable health system and I hope that we have environmental policy from Government that will allow us all to enjoy what we have and maintain it for the future. If elected on Saturday my greatest attribute will be my ability to listen and take advice from my electorate before I act, not be dominated by big party policy. If that's not what you want from a representative, then I would suggest you not vote for me.

Regards # #
Shane Boese # #
Inderpendent Candidate for Cleveland # #
Endorsed by The Fishing Party Queensland #

Adamy
06-09-2006, 01:39 PM
I have read this last discussion with interest... Chaz you do seem like a thoughtful person - I really hope that your chosen candidate does whatever you want him to do... but I'm guessing that he/she probably wont... Most of the "other" candidates have to vote along party lines... no one really cares what their personal opinion is, its called Party discipline. Sometimes the coalition can "cross the floor" on a conscience vote, labor aren't permitted such luxury - to cross the floor and vote with the opposition is political suicide. But thats just my observation and understanding of the caucus system... I can stand corrected.

I know Shane personally and I know he will always try and do the right thing of course in line with his own belief system and after calculating the effects of his actions on others. But that doesn't mean that he will always do what everyone else including you want him to do. Anyway the argument is largely academic the chances of him actually winning the seat are astronomical given the fact that there are no preference flows in this seat.

What we are trying to do here is not win the seat but get enough votes to send Beattie a message that the fishing vote counts, thats why it is important - if you live in the electorate to vote for Shane. A vote for Shane sends Beattie the message that he cant take the fishing public for granted, that he has to pull up his socks and be responsible to the people and not his own agendas. Its not about how Shane will or wont represent your interests, its all about the message.

Chaz through all the discussion, there is still one thing to be established: Do you live inside the Cleveland electorate? If yes PM Shane your address and he can send you some flyers with further info. If not then you cant vote for him regardless of how well suited he is to satisfying your representational needs.

Just my 2 and a half cents

qldrocks
06-09-2006, 10:47 PM
just a pity the TFPQ is not ratified for the up and coming elections.
Make the process of voting that much more difficult for the ordinary working man that does not understand the process.
Guess I'll just throw a dart for all the good it will do.
Any suggestions as to who to vote for in the Deception Bay area would be a great help.
Tez

PinHead
07-09-2006, 04:29 AM
Adamy..caucus is the meeting of all the Parliamentary representatives of a political party...this is usually behind closed doors. At these meetings many items are discussed and debated and voted on. All members have the right to voice thier consent or dissent at these meetings...BUT...once on the floor of the House the Party MUST show a united front. Occassionally it may be decided that Members may have a conscience vote during the division (the vote).

The worst part of Parliament is question time...Dorothy Dix questions where a Member will ask a Minister a question..funny that they are from the same Party...then you get the Minister launching into a diatribe about how good they and their policies are.

If you want to know how good a Minister is, wait for a question without notice from the opposite side of the Chamber or from the Cross Benches...that can make them squirm a bit.

Don't get Caucus meetings confused with Cabinet meetings..Caucus is for all elected Members of the Party..Cabinet is only for Ministers or Shadow Ministers. Under the current FOI laws in Qld, minutes of Caucus meetings are available..Cabinet minutes are not...that is why Beattie runs a lot of things through Cabinet...cannot access them via FOI. Hardly open and accountable Government.

Adamy
07-09-2006, 07:56 AM
Yeh Pinhead - I get your point about the caucus and the exact one I was making - as you said inside the caucus they can say what they like - after that its a united front...they dont get the opportunity to cross the floor and vote with the opposition on matters of legislation - where all MPAs can vote.... possibly I didnt say it properly.

And your point about the Dorthy dix questions... well made... you wonder why they even ask them - its pointless... well not actually POINTless - cause they do it for political POINT scoring to get the "achievements" into hansard so that they are "on record"... hmmm so yes totally pointless.

But I dont think Shane will ever have to worry about cabinet meetings, caucus votes or the like... so at least thats a good thing ....IF he won all he would have to worry about is representing his constituency... the people of Cleveland and US... the fishos of Moreton Bay... one more reason to support him over the major parties.

Chaz
07-09-2006, 10:09 AM
If elected on Saturday my greatest attribute will be my ability to listen and take advice from my electorate before I act, not be dominated by big party policy. Regards # #

Shane,

I admire your ideals and stated intentions. All the best for Saturday. I will be taking some time to consider your reply and many of the other comments in this thread.

Brenden

RASA
07-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Some encouraging media for Cleveland -Courier Mail Sept 7 >

"Labor insiders are describing their own internal polling as "lumpy", with the party facing large swings for and against it throughout the state.

In other areas, support has remained unchanged since the election began. In a shock result, Labor is at risk of losing the safe seat of Cleveland, which had a margin of 8.7 per cent under the retiring Daryl Briskey."

Bob Smith

The fishing vote might be sinking in

S.S.
08-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Let's hope so..... fishing is a part of more people's lives than what we realise. How many advertisements do you see with people fishing or there's some reference to fishing? From car ads to pizzas and last night there were new retirement villas up for sale at Cleveland..... the lady in the ad wanted to go shopping and her hubby .... FISHING :)

Sure we have roads, schools, health and other issues to think about but there will always be a major party stuffing that side of things up for us all ::)

I'm all for lifestyle. I love my fishing, four wheel driving and camping. Slowly but surely the opportunity to participate in these activities is being taken from us. Are the green groups only going to be happy when we're all sitting around city cafes drinking green tea and eating mung bean salads?

I'd like to see a balance and at least The Fishing Party, or in this case Shane Boese (ind) at Cleveland may be able to offer it to us.

Good luck Shane :)

seatime
08-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Good Luck tomorrow Shane.

Fishers state wide need an effective voice in the halls of power.

Best of luck to the Nthn candidates too.

regards
Steve.