PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas and Update from Andrew Laming

Andrew_Laming_MP
19-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Securing a sustainable Moreton Bay for all users is a multi-government responsibility. As Federal Member for the key southern parts of the Bay, I have committed my office to that outcome. In the absence of any coordinated approach to this goal, I am preparing a roadmap to ensure that all key players including recreational anglers are kept fully informed.

The roadmap ensures that all views are included in policy decisions and surprises are avoided. Obviously the roadmap is only as strong as the commitment of participants.

Predating the roadmap were a series of critical policy wins, achieved by the Moreton Bay Access Alliance. These include;

• overturning the pre-September Beattie Government position which refused to guarantee anglers, recreational and commercial representatives a position on the Marine Park Review Board, and
• forcing the Queensland Government to broaden its Marine Park process beyond the EPA, to include the important contributions of the Department of Primary Industry and Fisheries and the Department of State Development.

The next step was a multi-sector summit on Sea Stradbroke to communicate the views of the tourism, boating, angling, commercial fishing, mining and retail sector to all three levels of Government. I will send the transcript of this meeting to every relevant elected official. As a result of this forum, no minister and no local member can claim to be in the dark on these critical issues.

The co-operation of disparate groups at the summit is evidence of the commitment of all groups to the ongoing ecological and economic health and viability of Moreton Bay.

It is widely recognised that extending Marine Park zones excluding extractive activity maybe futile, so long as water quality continues to decline. It is also widely recognised that there are gaps in the knowledge base upon which closure decisions may be based.

In filling those gaps, a co-operative approach between research groups from environment, tourism, fishing and boating sectors is imperative. A strategic approach linking all key groups will be invaluable in the positive management of Moreton Bay.

With Moreton Bay Marine Park rezoning decisions to be made within the next twelve months there is intense interest in the process and outcomes. I am committed to continue working hard through 2007 for the future of Moreton Bay.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the dedicated people who sacrificed much personal time to ensure that the fishing industry is represented in the rezoning process.

In particular my thanks go to Trevor Higgins, Bruce Alvey, Jeff Sorrell, Frank Lee, Gary Fooks, Keith Hall, Donna Browne, Vince Martin, Rick Huckstepp, Kelly Williams, John Page, James Cullen and Barry Hibberd.

Have a merry Christmas and an enjoyable New Year.