PDA

View Full Version : Fin Fish Review - Media Release

Derek_Bullock
19-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Minister for Primary Industries and Fisheries
The Honourable Tim Mulherin

19/12/2006

FIN FISH FISHERY: PHASE TWO CONSULTATION UNDERWAY

The second phase of consultation for the Queensland East Coast Fin Fish Fishery is underway, Primary Industries and Fisheries Minister Tim Mulherin said today.

"We are now asking stakeholders to answer a questionnaire elaborating on specific aspects of the fishery," Mr Mulherin said.

"The questionnaire focuses on common issues raised during the 40-plus meetings that were held with stakeholders throughout the state during October and November this year.

"No proposed management arrangements have been put forward in the questionnaire - this is simply another opportunity for all stakeholders who have an interest in this fishery to have a further say on future management arrangements.

"With more than 750,000 recreational fishers and approximately 500 commercial operators accessing this fishery, current management arrangements need to be reviewed so that they meet stakeholder expectations while ensuring sustainability.

"Feedback from both phases of the consultation will then be used to develop draft fishery management proposals, which are due to be released mid-next year for further public consultation."

The questionnaire has been mailed directly to a large number of stakeholders and is also available on the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries website - www.dpi.qld.gov.au

"The review of Queensland's East Coast Inshore Fin Fish Fishery is a significant undertaking due to the high participation in this fishery and the number of people who want to express their views on how it should be managed," Mr Mulherin said.

"The response to the first round of meetings has been excellent and I would like to commend those who have taken the time to be involved in this process.

"I would also encourage anyone with an interest in this fishery to have their say through the questionnaire. Responses need to be submitted to the department by 5 pm, Wednesday, February 7.

"I look forward to continuing to build cooperative relationships with stakeholders throughout this consultation process to ensure we can work together to maintain a strong fishery for the future."

For further information contact DPI&F on 13 25 23 or visit - www.dpi.qld.gov.au

Media: 323 96530

redspeckle
19-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Here is the link to it of the Questionnaire
http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/extra/pdf/fishweb/inshorequestionnaire.pdf

Its 12 pages in total and ask things like Netting, Closures,
Dugong Protection Areas.Regional Management and Size and Bag Limits and Further Comments page
You can downloaded it and print it out fill it in and post it off
This is you chance too have a say about Inshore Fin Fishery now and don't have whinge later on when they bring the changes in

Mitch

Lucky_Phill
20-12-2006, 08:35 PM
The link worked fine, once I enabled the new Adobe Reader download. ::)

I printed out pages 2 to 12, no need to print out page one, full colour and all !!!

I will get onto Fisheries and get them to activate a " interactive " RIS.

Cheers Phill