PDA

View Full Version : What are the best swags?

Ron_Collins
28-07-2002, 07:23 AM
Hi All

I'm keen on getting a couple of swags and get totally confused about what's the best on offer. All seem to have good points. Any ideas on which ones are best?

One is for my 6-foot-plus son and the other is for me, and I'm shorter and a bit rounder. Not sure if those with the raised bits around the head are any good in real life or if the simple roll out and lay down wth your head in the air are better.

Feedback appreciated. Ron Collins, Ed.

PS: Also keen to purchase a bolt action .22 rifle in reasonable nick and not very expensive, and perhaps a .308 or 30.30, preferably lever action. Old is ok, price needs to be as low as possible. I have current licence.

Please phone 07 3286 1833 during working hours at Bush N Beach Fishing if you need to talk with me or reply via the Ausfish chat board. Thanks.

L.J.
28-07-2002, 04:17 PM
Ron,
I have 2 swags, bought the 1st about 15 years ago, just a basic one you fold over yourself with your head sticking out. Did the job for years but i got sick of the wildlife joining me. Have woken up with centipedes, ticks and once a red back in the swag with me. Also mozzies during the night and flies when the sun comes up loses its appeal after awhile. Biggest advantage of this one is simplicity. Roll it out and your home. Have used it when raining but have also been blown out of it in storms. Cold wet nights aren't fun.

Have since bought a new swag a few years ago that is fully enclosed with insect screen. Doesn't really take up any more room, only disadvantages are it is a little bit more of an effort to roll it up and if you set it up properly it takes a bit longer. having said that i often just tie the head end up to my bullbar or a tree if i'm just staying one night in one spot. when set up properly it is supposed to have each corner pegged and two poles at the head end. It has windows at each side and the head end and the whole top of it unzips. great for looking at the stars. I have used this swag in pouring rain and gale force winds up at fraser and double island point and it was worth its weight in gold. Even better I have used it in the tropics and the mozzies only annoyed me with their buzzing instead of eating me.

Heaps of different versions of these and can get ridiculouly expensive. I shopped around for ages and eventually bought mine from a woman at the Eumundi markets ( her business is called Maries canvas I think) who lives at Beerwah. Anyway I paid $300.00 for this one and have seen similiar in camping shops for $500.00 except those ones were smaller and the quality wasn't as good. She has only one style, in single and double size. double comes standard with the side windows and I paid an extra 30bucks to get them in the single one I bought. I'm six foot tall and 100kilos and I could throw a party in my swag. it's 7 foot long and 3 wide.

As you can see I am a big fan of the tent like swags but have a look around at a few camping shops etc at the different styles. basically look for weatherproof, insectproof and well ventilated designs.

hope this helps

L.J.

Ron_Collins
30-07-2002, 08:47 AM
Hi LJ

Many thanks for the info. I'll see if I can track her down. I agree with you about some of the prices ... may as well stay in a motel for what some of them are asking. Appreciate the assistance, and comprehensive reply. Ron Collins, Ed.

glennaldo
31-07-2002, 06:31 AM
Just a point of interest if you are considering buying a swag with a with a hoop in the head end that tapers down to a fully enclosed foot area, if you have the swag zipped up while sleeping( because its raining ) condensation builds up inside and will run down to the foot area giving you quite wet feet.

billy7
31-07-2002, 04:41 PM
i have a swag made by candy canvas it has a mozzie net in it .there is plenty of room,i paid$350 a few years ago.i brought it from agquip in gunnedah.i have used it all over the place in the cape not 1 mozzie or sandfly.
cheers billy

Jack_Lives_Here
02-08-2002, 07:05 AM
Ron,
Had one of the Darche brand dome swags for around 11 years now. It's maiden vovyage was a New England summer storm and it came thru with flying colours. It is a permanant in my vehicle and has not let me down to date.

I'll PM on the firearm question.

Ron_Collins
03-08-2002, 06:02 AM
Hi All
Many thanks for the info. It's greatly appreciated. I'll let you know what I end up with and the current costs. Ron Collins, Ed.

PS: The quest for the ultimate swag could make a good article for BNB Fishing. I'll also attempt to do that, for those who get our little fishing rag. R.

krazyfisher
04-08-2002, 03:22 PM
I too was looking for a swag but gave up due to confusion but I saw the local canvas mob and could get a doubles for $220 or a 3/4 for $200 with the head flap to cover the head or tie up to a tree or bull bar I am 6ft 2 and over 100kg and I fit into both of these but liked the double for the extra room.

lordy
06-08-2002, 07:08 AM
I got given one of the tent swags in Adelaide. Not too shabby and fits me OK (6'4). This one has a few flaws:

1. not enough mesh and its only down to the waist/thighs so it might get a little hot in summer

2. it has lots of velcro as well as zippers. I prefer zippers as they as less of pain to line up and much quicker. But velco is near impossible to break or damage, so thats something to consider.

I don't know how it would go in the rain, it should be fine but I'd rather not find out in the first place (I'd be moving back to the car because I'm a wuss).

jack_attack
06-08-2002, 05:28 PM
Ron, I would be keen to read an article in BNB dedicated to swag manufacturers and the quality, features etc. I have been wanting to get a decent swag for quite some time but have not got a clue as to what to buy.

Slates
07-08-2002, 09:23 AM
G'day Ron and all.
Being a keen B+S-er in my untamed years I got to see a fair few swags ;)

The best by a long shot were those made by a local (near Geelong, Victoria) horse rug maker Called "Carrah Canvas".
Now I bought mine a while ago, but I don't think she's upped the price a great deal.

The details are:

Singles, Doubles and 3/4 width.
Water resistant bottom (that woven stuff you used to get on the bottom of tents), 2 inch foam mattress with fitted sheet, wollen inner (for those chilly Vic nights), heavy duty zip with rain cover and stainless press studs.

The Lengths were available in 6 ft, 6 ft 6 and 7 ft.

At the time of purchase (about '95), they were $190 for a 6 ft 6 double and $210 for a 7 ft double.

Now these didn't roll up that small, but they were a real bargain for what you got (sheet, mattress and all).

Still got mine ;D

She also made me a boat (10 ft tinnie) cover with stainless studs out of heavy duty canvass for $150 - bargain!

I reckon the fly net ones are the go for QLD though and these would probably be a little hot for up there :-/

Cheers, NS

Ron_Collins
07-08-2002, 09:32 AM
Hi All

Seems like we're getting to the crux of the matter now. I'll work on an article in BNB Fishing, as there is a fair bit of interest in out little group, and more than likely there will be plenty of others who would benefit from a comparison-type article. I'll also rely on the stuff provided on ausfish.

All the best for now. Ron Collins, Ed.

Silver_RX
07-08-2002, 10:50 AM
I have a savana swag. Its the one that has the full fly at the top and head end. I recon its the best thing around that I have seen to date. It isn't the smallest swag when its rolled up but I'd rather have a swag that has a roof on it that one thats open to the elments. I recon they are also a bit warmer than the tradional style of swag too.