PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know - How to get rid of Geckos

bigmack
20-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Couldnt think of where else to post this - we seem to have been invaded by Geckos at home (Sunshine Coast)

Does anyone know how to get rid of the little buggers - they are everywhere and crapping on everything?

Surface Sprays, Spray with Dettol, Traps???

Any advice or previous experience.

Thanks
Phill

SeaHunt
20-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Funnel web spiders should scare them off. :o

I would have 100 or so at my place too, maybe 6 or 8 inside.
I don't see them as a problem. The cute little things eat the mozzies and moths. :)

thedeckie
20-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Mate of mine lives in Gordonvale (NQ),he gets bucket loads of them at his place,he has found that spraying with Dettol slows them down.

Cheers
Paul

bigmack
20-03-2006, 12:51 PM
I think these ones are the indo variety which are taking over in plague proportions - the are hanging aaround the kitchen lights outside - (free insects) but making a mess on outside servery / tables etc.

Thanks

Freeeedom
20-03-2006, 05:53 PM
I didn't mind them when they ran around outside on the insect screens eating mozzies. But then I got a new boat and have to clean the gecko crap off it every time I take it out. That's it!!! Death to all geckos.
If anyone finds a way to keep them away let me know
Cheers Freeeedom

GBC
21-03-2006, 11:48 AM
That's an easy one.

A pedigree burmese - mine's called oscar. He can jump and take a gecko off the 2.7m ceilings at home. Not that I like cats too much - just married into them if you know what I mean.
Gotta say its much more entertaining that watching the adds on tele. ;D ;D

Tony_N
21-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Mate,

They are now at least as far south as Lismore in northern NSW. I've been hearing them outside for the last year or so - haven't seen one yet. I love the little blighters, but then again they haven't crapped over anything of mine yet.

fish-n-dive
21-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Did you ever consider that the Geckos have increased in direct numbers to their available food supply???...............Get rid of the Geckos and you may have an even worse problem ;)

Just a thought.

Cheers 8-)

dinky
21-03-2006, 09:12 PM
I live in Redlands,they are everywhere inside/outside.I know some blokes that install aircon's,they (geckos) do alot of damage to them :o about $600-700 worth.U can get your aircon sprayed with a product that will apparently stop the damage :-/hope they don't get into mine!Wonder if there anygood 4 bait?

bruce4x4
22-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Call Steve Erwin ;) :) :)

The_Walrus
22-03-2006, 05:54 PM
IMO, they'd make a great bass bait.

Luc

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
22-03-2006, 09:25 PM
I live in Rockhampton and we've got literally hundreds of them around the house, inside and out. They do make a bit of a mess, but I like seeing them keeping the mossies and moths and beetles at bay. :)

I don't mind laying in bed at night listening to the noises they make either. Strange how such a small, soft animal can make such a loud gutteral barking sort of noise. :o :o

Cheers
Dave

seatime
23-03-2006, 06:31 AM
I think we'll have to learn to live with them, there're here to stay. Never thought about where they nest, better check the A/C.
Steve.

INDULGENCE
23-03-2006, 07:19 AM
Hey Dave
The locals in Fiji have a saying "that the geckos are cheering great sex". If they are noisey at your place-well best left to others to judge
They also cover the area above their sleeping /playarea with glad wrap to stop the little buggers from peeing on you whilst your a sleep. The geckos apparently cant walk on the plastic.
Hope you havnt been effected by Larry
The weather down here has been just fishable, we are both looking forward to May when we are up your way again.

Wally

bigmack
23-03-2006, 10:55 AM
I have a pressure pump spray and I loaded it with a dettol mix - i can tell you all first hand they dont like it at all - also a guy walks around at night sparying toads with it and it stops them in their tracks too.

So for all people infested with toads and geckos - dettol is good.

The problem is that these geckos are imported vermin and exploding in pouluation and probably to the detriment of other natives.

Anyway - I have become a pretty good shot with the spray on stream setting and those little suckers hit the deck straight away.

Thanks for all the posts.
Phill

griz066
23-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Get a cat, We had heaps at home till we got a cat he loves them and will litteraly climb the furniture till he can jump the walls to catch them . I aint seen 1 for months now. Don't like cats much but gecko sh!t is hard to get off everything.

Streetkid
24-03-2006, 02:09 AM
The ones at my house have started fighting each other so I hope they will take each other out untill there is only one left then its one on one between me and him, winner take all.

Haji-Baba
24-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Just had one fried inside my computer, a good backup model now unservicable. They are now on my feral animals list and all will go.

Haji-Baba

rickraider
25-03-2006, 06:24 PM
i know of 3 computers broken ..they get into the power supply .....had a carpet snake outside for a week and never heard a noise from them...wouldnt mind them but they crap everywhere

slugo
26-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Can someone please tell a southerner what does the dettol do to the critters does it kill them or do they run to the neighbours house next door.. and what do you mix dettol with :-/

Maria
26-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Mix 50/50 sollution of dettol and water. I think it kills toads by bing absorbed through their pourous skin. Same would apply to geckoes I assume. It works though - knocks em down real fast.

Cheers

saphire
26-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Keep the geckos. They are cute and eat vermin.
saphire.

Louis
28-03-2006, 05:08 PM
I tend to find them cute and interesting little fellows.

Agreed, they do poop everywhere, but they do wonders at getting rid of all the cockroaches and the moths.

I like watching them go after moths sitting on the glass window at the back of the house.

Louis

baldyhead
28-03-2006, 10:01 PM
There is a product called "Creepy Crawly", comes in a spray bottle and is an instant kill when sprayed on them.

woftam
04-04-2006, 11:57 PM
Living in FNQ, i would appreciate some info on where to get that "Creepy Crawly" spray baldyhead

fnqbunyip
05-04-2006, 07:24 AM
Dettol is very expencive black & gold or no name Antiseptic works just as well .. :)

Cheers

fnqbunyip
05-04-2006, 07:30 AM
Woftam I've never heard of "Creepy Crawly" spray but there is one called "Crawly Cruncher" this is the best surface spray I've ever come across. Well since they took all the good ones away (DDT, Arsnic Ect ect )
Cheers

DNO40
06-04-2006, 06:22 AM
Go the Gecko's......... they are really good Karma ! and they serve a purpose in the food chain.

DNO

rivermanau
10-04-2006, 05:28 PM
From theQueensland Museum site

"Asian House Geckos

Queenslanders are fast becoming acquainted with a new addition to their households: the Asian House Gecko (Hemidactylus frenatus). These exotic invaders resemble many native geckos, but they are much more 'talkative'. Their 'chuck, chuck, chuck' call is distinctive. Asian House Geckos also have characteristic, slightly enlarged spines scattered over the back and arranged in bands around the original tail, while native house geckos are smooth.

Asian House Geckos first appeared in Brisbane in the early 1980s. Those early colonists probably arrived in container shipping. By the early to mid-1990s, the Queensland Museum was receiving countless reports from the Central Business District of Brisbane, the city's outer suburbs and from towns along the east coast of Queensland.

Asian House Geckos are true urbanites. Even in their native South-east Asia, they live almost entirely on buildings. They have been hugely successful as stowaways among cargo, thanks partly to their round, hard-shelled eggs that resist moisture loss. Asian House Geckos are 'on the march' worldwide, mainly in tropical regions, and now have the widest range of any lizard in the world.

Asian House Geckos have displaced some native geckos in disturbed areas. While largely dependent on human environments, they have spread into bushland reserves in the Northern Territory where they could pose a threat to other native species.

Another hidden problem may lie with hitch-hikers they carry. Two species of red gecko mites, Geckobia bataviensis and Geckobia keegani live on the toes of Asian House Geckos. Microorganisms carried by these sorts of mites have the potential to cause debilitating diseases in native Australian lizards.

The impact of Asian House Geckos competitors and as potential carriers of pathogens is clearly something that requires monitoring. They may be cute but we cannot assume they are harmless."

revs57
10-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Well we've cranked up the mozzie zapper over the past couple of weeks and got ourselves 4 gecko's poor little buggers...one's frying now even as I type, been sizzling for yonks too...and I don't mind them cheering good sex ;D ;D ;D they do keep the insects down but man they stink when they buzz

Sorry to animal lovers

Rhys

hussy
15-04-2006, 02:18 PM
forget the creepy spray blow em away with say a 30-30 or 6.5x55 that will fix em bob, lately converted to gun- nut. hell yeah

ibbo
15-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Like them myself, although we would only have about 20 around the house

Couldnt kill one.................................... yet

Mozzies bad at Wynnum they keep a couple at bay

Daniel_Trenfield
17-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Seems there's a market for gecko removal.

My pest guy reckons only two things will slow them down - petrol or double sided tape. One is expensive & the other gets smelly after a while.

Fact = Gecko's are attracted to air conditioners. In summer there is a source of moisture(indoor unit) and all year round the electronics are a source of heat. Gecko's, mice, rats, ants, snakes etc. etc. can cause damage to any a/c system.

The last split system I fixed after a gecko BBQ cost the client $800 + gst.

Check the fine print of your insurance policy if it happens to you. Some don't consider gecko's to be vermin.

barradise
22-05-2006, 12:29 AM
I've heard that cheap surface spray works well on the non-native gecko, they seem to be the noisy buggers that crap everywhere and kill off native species.

John

tunaticer
29-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Time to bump this post up for the latest updates....what is da bomb for these lil mongrels? I have got one Aircon confirmed dead via the asian imports and possibly a second thats not too healthy probably from them too.
Short of the 12 guage, what is effective at killing them off?

peterbo3
29-10-2011, 08:29 PM
I used a double tube extension on the vacuum cleaner to get to the ceiling. Got about 10 the first two nights but the survivors wised up quickly & would flee when I turned the vac on. I then tried fly spray which caused them to drop smartly to the floor but you still need to be quick with the vac. I used the paper vac bags which I taped up & stuck in the bait freezer overnight before going into the bin. Might try the dettol next. It worked very well on toads in the past.

trymyluck
30-10-2011, 07:07 AM
I used a double tube extension on the vacuum cleaner to get to the ceiling. Got about 10 the first two nights but the survivors wised up quickly & would flee when I turned the vac on. I then tried fly spray which caused them to drop smartly to the floor but you still need to be quick with the vac. I used the paper vac bags which I taped up & stuck in the bait freezer overnight before going into the bin. Might try the dettol next. It worked very well on toads in the past.

Can they swim, might make a gun live bait........::);D

Bros
30-10-2011, 09:30 AM
If you are right handed this is one of the ways to get rid of then inside. Take one strong LED torch in the left hand in the right hand a fly swat. Shine the torch in their eyes keeping it there walk closer and hit them with the fly swat easy gets them every time.

culbara
30-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Mate i own a pest control company and the only successful way is ring garrards and get some rodent sticky baits and put them in the areas where they are a problem that is the only way to reduce them if you need to talk more pnm me mate

Louis
31-10-2011, 11:09 AM
I like the little fellas. I find them as being cute and they eat mozzies, moths, baby cockroaches, termites and just about every other pest insect that they can fit into their mouths.

Louis

tropicrows
31-10-2011, 12:54 PM
get some rodent sticky baits and put them in the areas where they are a problem that is the only way to reduce them

Yep that what I did for down in the shed, bought them from Bunnings and cut them into half and then placed them where the buggers are active. Got heaps of the buggers. Not recommended for around the house as it’s not the most pretty thing seeing them stuck to the trap

PinHead
31-10-2011, 05:29 PM
for air cond units..chuck some moth balls in them. I had a mental block the other day Tony but mothballs keeps them away.