PDA

View Full Version : Technical approach to barra fishing.

Ronje1
16-04-2020, 11:43 AM
Thanks to a continuing campaign of harassment by a couple of forum members, this message content has been deleted by Ronje.

chris69
16-04-2020, 12:49 PM
Fire away Ronje1, its all welcome rocky is a different place to fish for Barra.

disorderly
16-04-2020, 02:22 PM
Go for it Ron..always interested to learn more...are you a lure tosser or a live bait guy..?

Volvo
16-04-2020, 04:43 PM
Ditti to that especially when it comes to Barra:)..

gunna
16-04-2020, 05:02 PM
I will get the popcorn and watch the fun.

Ronje1
16-04-2020, 06:55 PM
Thanks to a continuing campaign of harassment by a couple of forum members, this message content has been deleted by Ronje.

Dignity
16-04-2020, 08:09 PM
Wow, bit of thought in there and I'm sure many here will appreciate it (haven't chased barra for about a decade).
I used to try and put a lot of this sort of thought together but these days, weather's nice, mid week so not many about, I'll happily spend the day floating around enjoying the surrounds. The other day I watched a pair of spoonbills chilling out, forgot to cast for about 5 mins.

Ronje1
17-04-2020, 05:54 AM

Volvo
17-04-2020, 11:54 AM
yeah Mate keep it comming :) , want to see at Days end if this will improve my barra Catch somewhat , Thank you Kindly for your Input ey...

Lovey80
18-04-2020, 03:30 AM
Come on Ronje mate. Don’t leave us hanging.

Ronje1
18-04-2020, 05:49 AM
Come on Ronje mate. Don’t leave us hanging.

Volvo
18-04-2020, 12:08 PM
Rod n lures ready🤗

Ronje1
18-04-2020, 12:51 PM

Volvo
18-04-2020, 01:57 PM
Nope !! , No lInks showing up at all:-?...Hope im not going to be chewing my Finger nails off in anticipation :o..

Ronje1
19-04-2020, 07:22 AM

Volvo
19-04-2020, 09:10 AM
Okay back in two or three days after ive read it all :).

chris69
19-04-2020, 11:32 AM
That light spectrum stuff is old news and in the depths that you fish for barra i think its a little irrelivent .silhouette and frequency has no colour have think about that weither its dirty water or night time or day time there's only a few things fish pick up on smell ,sight ,silhouette and frequency .

In low light conditions the rods and cones change shape in fishes eyes to see black and white ,that's why you use a black lure or fly at night time and then with frequency it's what the fish detects from the movement of the prey it's chasing ,some of this stuff is interesting ,but matching your lure to what there eating or getting a territorial strike has nothing to do with colour.

As a rocky barra fishinerman I expected to here something like after winter fish the river were the big buildings are and fish were the sun reflects onto as this is were the warmest water is and where the barra will be actively feeding .

If you something to say then just say it instead off making us read stuff on light spectrum before you tell us a little more.

gunna
19-04-2020, 01:09 PM
Careful Chris. This bloke has caused major problems on other sites with people who disagree with him.

Ronje1
19-04-2020, 01:51 PM

Ronje1
20-04-2020, 07:22 AM

chris69
20-04-2020, 06:26 PM
Thanks for that info see I wasn't hard was it .

Ronje1
22-04-2020, 07:38 PM

catshark
22-04-2020, 08:44 PM
remember when the only fish hooks came in silver color,, then theses days they come in red color mostly, i must have forgotten but probably just didnt know but i ordered some quality japanese mono and it was red line, didnt think much of it until the penny dropped , these colors must have something to do with the red in particular fading or appearing faint underwater as per your research

Ronje1
23-04-2020, 06:31 AM

Ronje1
23-04-2020, 07:00 PM

bobfromblacky
23-04-2020, 07:04 PM
Dianetics, amway, tony robbins, dunno...think l smell a rat

chris69
24-04-2020, 11:53 AM
With all ive read so far Nuclear chicken colour in the barrages and use White or polar bear squidgies there your favourite and vides are the go ,im thinking that old Rod Harrison used rattling spot vibes for Barra when jesus was in nappies so your a bit behind in things.

shortthenlong
24-04-2020, 12:06 PM
With all ive read so far Nuclear chicken colour in the barrages and use White or polar bear squidgies there your favourite and vides are the go ,im thinking that old Rod Harrison used rattling spot vibes for Barra when jesus was in nappies so your a bit behind in things.

What doesn't eat nuclear chicken???

Matt

gazza2006au
24-04-2020, 02:35 PM
What doesn't eat nuclear chicken???

MattThe Chinese LOL just about the only thing they wont eat

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

Ronje1
25-04-2020, 06:33 AM

Ronje1
26-04-2020, 08:25 AM

Ronje1
26-04-2020, 08:24 PM

gunna
26-04-2020, 09:10 PM
Just go away. You caused enough trouble on the other sites. Don’t start that crap here. And don’t resort to your other trick of bombarding people with nasty PMs. I won’t read them.

chris69
27-04-2020, 12:07 AM
LMAO that was funny the on how lures work its like were all dumb and your the guro,I thought you had something special to reviel but you have nothing even the date on the pics you posted up in your pdfs are old you can see the dates on them and Harro was useing gold bombers before you too, you are just using old info .

Lovey80
27-04-2020, 02:27 AM
How did this become a bun fight?

Ronje1
27-04-2020, 07:15 AM
Hello Lovey

Whenever somebody comes up with some innovative thinking to share with others, it always attracts the "Negative Nancy" brigade like Chris and his little mate who see their roles as simply disruptive . Maybe should change their names to Negative Nancy 1, Negative Nancy 2 ..etc.

gunna
27-04-2020, 07:21 AM
How did this become a bun fight?

This bloke has history Lovey.

chris69
27-04-2020, 02:16 PM
This is cracking me up, to quote you....... if you use a gold bomber in dirty water then you would be right to do so well everyones been doing that for a long time and because gold is the red and green mixed together, so going by your method if we paint a lure black and with then that's the equivalent to having a grey lure.

Ronje1
04-05-2020, 07:13 PM

chris69
04-05-2020, 07:28 PM
House painting comes to mind and colour matching old painted walls.

Ronje1
19-05-2020, 08:46 PM

Ronje1
30-06-2020, 02:52 PM

chris69
30-06-2020, 04:05 PM
1.8mt dead Barra from the early 1900s so there grew bigger back then compaired to now, they are getting smaller as the years go by!!!!!!!!.

Ronje1
16-07-2020, 07:20 PM

chris69
17-07-2020, 12:26 PM
There hunger .

Ronje1
09-08-2020, 06:35 PM

Ronje1
17-09-2020, 07:10 AM

chris69
17-09-2020, 12:41 PM
Lure frequency only works when a lure is moveing but barra hit a lure on the pause so where does frequency come into play?? .

With all the lures made all over the world a lot of them are made for bass and they seem to work for barra too suspending and pausing and a tight wiggle action have been the right recipe and that was long before someone came up with the 10hz lateral line frequency when researching Barra lateral lines.

NAGG
17-09-2020, 07:31 PM
Lure frequency only works when a lure is moveing but barra hit a lure on the pause so where does frequency come into play?? .

With all the lures made all over the world a lot of them are made for bass and they seem to work for barra too suspending and pausing and a tight wiggle action have been the right recipe and that was long before someone came up with the 10hz lateral line frequency when researching Barra lateral lines.

The barra is there ....... waiting for a trigger

The things I have witnessed over the years will blow your mind ...... Gin clear water at Lake Kinchant - a barra mesmerized watching the stalled lure ....... It's nose literally touching the lure - a little move of the lure .... BANG .

I dont know how many times I've seen barra hit at the back of the boat as the lure is lifted vertically .

What about landing the lure on a tree / log ... or even tea bag over branch ....... the lure touches / hits the water & BANG

Dont worry about a lure being paused ....... that barra was there often the second the lure touched down . They are a well attuned fish . ..... a combination of Lateral line , eyesight & night vision

God I love barra

Chris

Ronje1
18-09-2020, 05:56 AM

seastrength
18-09-2020, 08:07 AM
I have been following this thread with interest since I recently started my Bass and Barra trail last month with a mate. Whilst the technical aspects of the fish sensory system are helpfull, I find application of this information in the real life fishing setting very challenging. By way of explanation I fished 4 sessions Callide dam, 4 sessions Lake Awoonga and 10 sessions at Lake Monduran for no results, not even one hit. On the second last day, we conducted a small case (my mate) control (me) study by using the same lure but a different action within 5 metres of each other. I used combination twitching/slow roll with no suspension and my mate used a faster return and suspension for 10 seconds after 5 quicker rolls of reel. All other variables, we were both using Jackall Squirrel lures boney or pink eye suzi (except line colour) for each cast. He had 5 hits and landed 4 and I had no hits. In my view, the only other reasonable explanation for the different strike rate was due to the minor difference of location (unlikely) and more likely probability (chance). In the end, I still believe hit rate comes down to only minor variations in lure retrieval technique and chance. Cheers SS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

Ronje1
18-09-2020, 12:23 PM

NAGG
19-09-2020, 08:37 AM
I have been following this thread with interest since I recently started my Bass and Barra trail last month with a mate. Whilst the technical aspects of the fish sensory system are helpfull, I find application of this information in the real life fishing setting very challenging. By way of explanation I fished 4 sessions Callide dam, 4 sessions Lake Awoonga and 10 sessions at Lake Monduran for no results, not even one hit. On the second last day, we conducted a small case (my mate) control (me) study by using the same lure but a different action within 5 metres of each other. I used combination twitching/slow roll with no suspension and my mate used a faster return and suspension for 10 seconds after 5 quicker rolls of reel. All other variables, we were both using Jackall Squirrel lures boney or pink eye suzi (except line colour) for each cast. He had 5 hits and landed 4 and I had no hits. In my view, the only other reasonable explanation for the different strike rate was due to the minor difference of location (unlikely) and more likely probability (chance). In the end, I still believe hit rate comes down to only minor variations in lure retrieval technique and chance. Cheers SS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

There may be even more to it ...... I've seen one side of the boat outfish the other side when both anglers are casting to a point - this could boil down to angles & the way a lure works with a current ( yes there are currents that form) . or the way the fish are sitting in that current . One example was we had a location where barra were sitting on a bankside stick (not much more than a stick ) - land the lure on the right & you got fish ..... land it on the left - nothing. ..... nothing to do with retrieve , lure etc as the fish were hitting on touchdown in 2 ft of water.
Cadence in the retrieve or the reel ratio / spool diameter ....... I've experienced days that a spin outfit dominated against a baitcaster fishing the same soft plastic & vice versa .

not so straight forward

Chris

Ronje1
19-09-2020, 01:25 PM

Ronje1
13-10-2020, 12:20 PM

Ronje1
14-10-2020, 06:37 PM

shortthenlong
14-10-2020, 07:42 PM
Shortenlong

So what is it that you disagree with, Matt?

I actually don't read your grandiloquent ramblings. I must have just fat fingered the disagree button scrolling to the bottom to see if there was a Barra picture or just another bombastic diatribe.

Matt

CT
14-10-2020, 07:47 PM
I actually don't read your grandiloquent ramblings. I must have just fat fingered the disagree button scrolling to the bottom to see if there was a Barra picture or just another bombastic diatribe.

Matt

One reposted off the net?

shortthenlong
14-10-2020, 08:13 PM
One reposted off the net?

One day a bloke I don't know will post a picture of a bloke I do know. It's only a matter of time

Matt

gunna
14-10-2020, 09:19 PM
I just love the way he answers his own posts when nobody pays enough attention to the ramblings.

Dignity
14-10-2020, 09:29 PM
I just love the way he answers his own posts when nobody pays enough attention to the ramblings.

PHe got banned from another fishing forum, took him a little while before he joined here. Hasn't shown his true spots yet.

Ronje1
15-10-2020, 03:41 AM

gunna
15-10-2020, 06:36 AM
CT, gunna, shortenlong, dignity.

Sorry fellas. I must have fat-fingered something myself there and suddenly saw what you guys had contributed for once. Hadn't been missing much. Just the usual mutual admiration society stuff.

Got you lot back onto the ignore list.

Not a problem. Just a bit of karma for the carnage you have caused on other sites. You reap what you sow.

wahoofishingcrew
16-10-2020, 06:25 AM

Sorry fellas. I must have fat-fingered something myself there and suddenly saw what you guys had contributed for once. Hadn't been missing much. Just the usual mutual admiration society stuff.

Is this f#ckstick going for w@nker of the year award or what??

Barry Ehsman
16-10-2020, 08:13 AM

Can you put me on that list to please sir, next thing you will be putting us in the naughty corner

gazza2006au
16-10-2020, 04:01 PM
Are you in need of a bend over the knee Barry lol

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

Ronje1
13-12-2020, 11:55 AM

chris69
13-12-2020, 02:37 PM
If a barra hits a standing lure then what you write is irrelevant with lateral lines and colour we cant ask the barra why it ate the lure we can only think it was hungry.

Ronje1
13-12-2020, 06:49 PM

blacklab
13-12-2020, 07:51 PM
Geez Ronje, You must have fair ruffled some feathers elsewhere from the reaction of some here ??...
One person in particular, that I have the utmost respect for in your list of " Blockies " is quite a shock to me, to see him comment as such... he wouldn't without reason that's for sure.
While it may seem the thing to do, blocking/ignoring just ain't the way to roll, others sure haven't learnt that here ;D.... For what it's worth, what ever has previously happened, you going to have to face that and grin and bear it me thinks.... If there's pennants to be served, you may as well un block them all and face the music and unfortunately cop it on the chin, reacting wouldn't serve you best me thinks... I don't go with the pack mentality, you've done no wrong to me, but it appears you've got a strong constitution with the reactions your coping...

I'm sure there are those, that weren't involved in previous happenings, that will get something out of your writings, it's quite obvious that you go into a lot of depth...

Don't get the chance to fish for Barra, even when up in the far north, the timing of my visits with regard to climate doesn't agree with this white fella. Spent my very early youth fly fishing, from about the age of 6-7,we weren't allowed to use lures, but I can see the relation to this that you spruke regarding lures, it's exactly the same with flies, the type used and when and how they are presented and used...it's kinda same same really.... Only experience on the water can ever give you the knowledge needed, science just doesn't compare to this fact...

Col

gunna
13-12-2020, 08:12 PM
Geez Ronje, You must have fair ruffled some feathers elsewhere from the reaction of some here ??...
. Only experience on the water can ever give you the knowledge needed, science just doesn't compare to this fact...

Col

Yes
and
Yes

chris69
13-12-2020, 10:24 PM
And now hes sent me a personal message , ive read it all he blocks me and now tells me ive got a problem i just stated fact and this is how you treat fellow members well i think you have bitten off more that you can chew here Ronje you might want to read what you can and can not do to other members here ,what are you going to do too me now stalk me i dont send members personal messages telling them what members to like or dislike.

blacklab
13-12-2020, 10:36 PM
And now hes sent me a personal message threat wow now ive read it all he blocks me and now threatens me i just stated fact and this is how you treat fellow members well i think you have bitten off more that you can chew here Ronje you might want to read what you can and can not do to other members here ,what are you going to do too me now stalk me.

If that's the case Chris, and I have no reason to doubt you, then take it further bud, no one deserves to get threats, PERIOD..
Might sound ironical coming from me, due to my recent tat-a-tat with the dissentry, but that's out in the open, I hide nothing.

Maybe some dinkum moderating on this site, may well stop most of the un necessary and in all honesty, crap that get thrown around at times...
I only commented here out of amazement after reading the obvious "Hate Vibe" been chucked his way and not knowing the history...

Personal threats Aint cool, openly or via message, Is there anyway you can post up the said message Chris ??? not sure if that's possible, you must be able to forward it or something ???
What a fricken action packed weekend We've had on here, amazing how some, can justify there blatant attacks, as being cool to do and not get corrected, pulled up and put in to there place, even worse when you hide behind the message function....

Col

chris69
13-12-2020, 10:51 PM
So what's been on your mind since you tried to steamroll me when I first arrived on the site? Didn't work then. Wont work now.

What is it that you are so angry about with the world? Nose out of joint? Insecurity? Lost opportunities in life?

Simply just want to put crap on anybody who doesn't see you as a role model in life or that you don't agree with?

Choose yr friends more carefully, Chris.

I can tell you now that anybody who has a grub like the guy you've chosen to mate up with who has a go at people with disabilities is not one to use a model in life

Here you go Col ive copied and pasted it.

blacklab
13-12-2020, 11:47 PM
Hey Chris,
I'm not condoning the content of his message Chris, it's not cool and I don't know the history,, but he chose his words carefully by the looks, you'd have some difficulty saying he " threatened you" as such, but I hear where your coming from.
I'm not trying to lessen your reaction or how you would have personally felt and taken this, in any way...
I guess you've had some pretty heavy past encounters with the bloke, Along with a few others here I might add ,which is obviously spilling over here on Ausfish...
Geez Chris, it's your call here, whether the admin would act in this instance, especially after some of the personal attacks and name calling that's happened here over the weekend and we heard crickets, Nada in response from admin,, Just grown men paying out on people like brats in school yards, the boys club ...
If it were me Chris, I'd just stop posting in his thread all together, as mentioned, the past has obviously a lot to do with it, sometimes blokes thrive and get a rise out of confrontations...
I have no axe to grind here, so that comes from a neutral position. But, as I said to him, blocking/ignoring people achieves nothing, but to block someone then PM them is a back door approach, not cool at all... there's nothing wrong with airing views on the forum, as long as it doesn't become a personal attack or belittle someone.... I thought there was some pretty heavy past encounters here from the reactions I was seeing ;D... Some by blokes I wouldn't have thought would react as they have done...

It's been an eventful weekend Chris, but thanks for posting it up, best to just move on from it...

regards

Col

Ronje1
15-12-2020, 12:01 PM

Ronje1
14-01-2021, 06:15 AM

chris69
14-01-2021, 02:54 PM
A cat fish can detect a signiture from a guppy that has pasted 50seconds early and track it down to eat it so were dose colour come into things in that situation ,that's a quote from Saltwater flyfishing mag science articile US issue, forget the year but have the mag ,so colour dose not matter when a fish has the ability to pick up on vibes from what has moved passed weither it be lateral line or whiskers.

Question why dosen't Bomber lures make a orange and Red lures then, they made there name here on metalic gold in dirty water which you don't mention only orange and red.

Ronje1
14-01-2021, 07:51 PM

Ronje1
15-01-2021, 06:34 AM

CT
23-01-2021, 04:15 PM
Righto Ronnie, lets test the system.

Barra opener is a week away. The Fitzroy is currently filthy with water hyacinth everywhere having washed down from the freshwater reaches. We'll be three days after the moon with the low at Port Alma at 18:09, or about 20:33 at the barrage. Alternatively, if we’re stuck at work and have to wait until Saturday, we’ll be on the neaps with low at Port Alma at 11:22, or at the barrage at 13:31.

Let’s say I’m an average punter with a small tinny, an electric and a reasonable side scan sonar. I’ve got a mix of hard bodies, vibes and soft plastics and a cast net.

So, where do I go, and what do I do?

Cheers
Craig

shortthenlong
23-01-2021, 05:48 PM
Righto Ronnie, lets test the system.

Barra opener is a week away. The Fitzroy is currently filthy with water hyacinth everywhere having washed down from the freshwater reaches. We'll be three days after the moon with the low at Port Alma at 18:09, or about 20:33 at the barrage. Alternatively, if we’re stuck at work and have to wait until Saturday, we’ll be on the neaps with low at Port Alma at 11:22, or at the barrage at 13:31.

Let’s say I’m an average punter with a small tinny, an electric and a reasonable side scan sonar. I’ve got a mix of hard bodies, vibes and soft plastics and a cast net.

So, where do I go, and what do I do?

Cheers
Craig

Poo Brown Nilsmaster Spearhead. Cast into any body of water.

Here endth the lesson

Matt

gunna
23-01-2021, 06:57 PM
I thought you just followed the X.

CT
23-01-2021, 07:10 PM
Poo Brown Nilsmaster Spearhead. Cast into any body of water.

Here endth the lesson

Matt

Now hang on a minute. I remember one trip where the poo brown spearhead had a barra leap out of the water boatside to have a crack. Doesn't this suggest that I don't need water much less to actually cast the lure??

shortthenlong
23-01-2021, 08:54 PM
Now hang on a minute. I remember one trip where the poo brown spearhead had a barra leap out of the water boatside to have a crack. Doesn't this suggest that I don't need water much less to actually cast the lure??

That particular fish hadn't read the thesis or extra powerful lateral lines. Isn't always going to be the case so probably best to at least be near water.

Matt

CT
24-01-2021, 08:46 AM
Did all the content just get deleted out of this thread? I'm sure it was there yesterday when I posted about putting a plan together for barra opener in a weeks time?

Barry Ehsman
24-01-2021, 11:40 AM
Did all the content just get deleted out of this thread? I'm sure it was there yesterday when I posted about putting a plan together for barra opener in a weeks time?
Nothings changed by the sounds of it, can't handle a little bit of criticism.

chris69
24-01-2021, 12:41 PM
:speechless:now what am i going to read old Steve Starling fishing world mags about floating around the fitzroy in a blow up tube thanks guys.

bluefin59
25-01-2021, 10:54 AM
:speechless:now what am i going to read old Steve Starling fishing world mags about floating around the fitzroy in a blow up tube thanks guys.

I’m gunna have to throw herring under the wharf again on my hand line again bugger all the technical crap ,throw it in and hang on [emoji23][emoji23]

bluefin59
25-01-2021, 01:29 PM
I’m gunna have to throw herring under the wharf again on my hand line again bugger all the technical crap ,throw it in and hang on [emoji23][emoji23]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210125/7137270428f4a1d58bde5c7f6d3551f7.jpg
I’m almost ready [emoji41]

Greg P
25-01-2021, 03:26 PM
Don't forget the bicycle tube for your fingers - GTG !!!

gazza2006au
25-01-2021, 03:56 PM
Gunna and Short wake up to your selfs have u noticed i have been trying to ignore u flops in my tread because i want nothing to do with you i dont want your advice nor do i care what you think its you guys along with dishonesty and a few other wrecking a single mans web site running it into the ground scaring off all its members because there opions are different to yours

Two men dont shit the same.. if u wanna climb in the pig pen do it by your self on your own forum takeyour shit elsewhere

Ausfish is a great place for guys expressing there knowledge weather u agree or dissagree you should leave it at that

bluefin59
25-01-2021, 04:00 PM
Don't forget the bicycle tube for your fingers - GTG !!!

Got one sorted thanks mate .[emoji106]

CT
25-01-2021, 04:04 PM
Gunna and Short wake up to your selfs have u noticed i have been trying to ignore u flops in my tread because i want nothing to do with you i dont want your advice nor do i care what you think its you guys along with dishonesty and a few other wrecking a single mans web site running it into the ground scaring off all its members because there opions are different to yours

Two men dont shit the same.. if u wanna climb in the pig pen do it by your self on your own forum takeyour shit elsewhere

Ausfish is a great place for guys expressing there knowledge weather u agree or dissagree you should leave it at that

What the hell are you on about? This is a thread about barra tactics and I've asked about the best plan to fish the barra opener in less than a week. Unless you've got tips, how about you get your ass out of the thread I'm trying to learn something in!

bluefin59
25-01-2021, 04:04 PM
I can hear background noise ,do we have a new moderator [emoji3167]#[emoji3539]

shortthenlong
25-01-2021, 04:08 PM

Don't rate the old Nilsmaster Spearhead?

Matt