PDA

View Full Version : 1770 @ Easter 2020

Gumby_III
04-03-2020, 05:34 PM
Hi all

Heading to 1770 at Easter to give it a crack. The boat has not moved for 6 months as have had a back injury/operation followed by after being back at work for a week had a heart attack which took me out for a bit longer.

Back on the mend now and hoping for a change of luck over Easter with some good weather and fish.

Boat is a Bar Crusher 640C with a 150 HPDI on the back. Fuel capacity of 280 - 300L. May also chuck in 2 x 20L Jerrycans got insurance. Have only been as far as Inner and Outer Wides previously as generally a fairly cautious person.

Generally, where would you be heading if you were me to try to get some fish over Easter at 1770?

Feel free to say hi if you are in the area at Easter.

Cheers
Mark

Dignity
04-03-2020, 09:09 PM
Funchy will be up there as well as a million others, best of luck and understand your wait to get out there, I've managed to completely rupture my AFTL and significantly tear my CFL, apparently surgery is not sn option but lots of physio and time.

Good luck up at 1770, just get out really early and you may get a park.

Noelm
05-03-2020, 07:52 AM
A couple of my mates just got back, they have never been there before and got some good fish, stayed two nights, one at Musgrave, one in Fitzroy, only marks they had was what they could find online, so, if you know what you are doing, you should be fine.

Lucky_Phill
05-03-2020, 07:22 PM
Do a check on your fuel usage. 280ltrs should get you out and back , even an over-nighter, easily. A good return trip will be about 200 - 250k's

Easter is prime time at 1770 / Agnes Water and everything is at a premium, accommodation and parking in particular.

Options are... launch pre dawn or midday.. pre dawn gets you parking, midday gets you no crowds on the ramp.

Where would I be going you ask.

If you answer some questions, I can provide the info.

1.. Target species ?

2... Over-night or day trip ?

3... Deep water or shallow ( shallow = up to 50mtrs... deep water 65 - 100 )

attached is a " trip ". I pre do many trips like this to determine distances etc. Some times is it best to out " into the seas ' and return with the wind up ya clacker... NE should be the wind at Easter, so heading to Fitzroy area is on the cards. I have a bucket load of GPS points for all over the shop up there, if you need starter marks.... the really good ones will be exchanged for next weeks lotto numbers :)

Jason Green
05-03-2020, 08:44 PM
Do a check on your fuel usage. 280ltrs should get you out and back , even an over-nighter, easily. A good return trip will be about 200 - 250k's

Easter is prime time at 1770 / Agnes Water and everything is at a premium, accommodation and parking in particular.

Options are... launch pre dawn or midday.. pre dawn gets you parking, midday gets you no crowds on the ramp.

Where would I be going you ask.

If you answer some questions, I can provide the info.

1.. Target species ?

2... Over-night or day trip ?

3... Deep water or shallow ( shallow = up to 50mtrs... deep water 65 - 100 )

attached is a " trip ". I pre do many trips like this to determine distances etc. Some times is it best to out " into the seas ' and return with the wind up ya clacker... NE should be the wind at Easter, so heading to Fitzroy area is on the cards. I have a bucket load of GPS points for all over the shop up there, if you need starter marks.... the really good ones will be exchanged for next weeks lotto numbers :)

Definitely some good fish at the end of that track been bricked a fair few times there also with unstoppables [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

Gumby_III
06-03-2020, 04:58 PM
Thanks Lucky Phil.

We have a house booked for 9 nights plus have a few more nights spare at the end that could stay longer if the weather is good.

Weather dependant, think might do a day trip first just to get comfortable then do an overnighter if the weather is looking good. Target species, always nice to get some trout and red throat, but I would love to find a red. Maybe if do an overnighter, will try some deeper water at night. Is there any mackeral around at that time of year?

Going with the wife and kids and also my parents have come up. I have not told them yet, but whichever one (wife or dad) that does not come with us gets to take the trailer back to the accommodation with them after putting the boat in. That way at least they have the car to use during the day.

Unrelated question, what do people do for a toilet out there.? I can obviously just go over the side for most things, but not sure that is going to cut it with the wife.

Lucky_Phill
06-03-2020, 06:52 PM
Thanks Lucky Phil.

We have a house booked for 9 nights plus have a few more nights spare at the end that could stay longer if the weather is good.

Weather dependant, think might do a day trip first just to get comfortable then do an overnighter if the weather is looking good. Target species, always nice to get some trout and red throat, but I would love to find a red. Maybe if do an overnighter, will try some deeper water at night. Is there any mackeral around at that time of year?

Going with the wife and kids and also my parents have come up. I have not told them yet, but whichever one (wife or dad) that does not come with us gets to take the trailer back to the accommodation with them after putting the boat in. That way at least they have the car to use during the day.

Unrelated question, what do people do for a toilet out there.? I can obviously just go over the side for most things, but not sure that is going to cut it with the wife.

a 20ltr bucket seems to work well. I sometimes take a Porta-Potty for the ladies. You can also google " she-wee " .... :)

Yes, mackerel are there all year round, if the birds are about, the fish are too. Try very early up at Bustard Head... Outter Rock.... but trolling close to most reefs ( not in the green zone ) can produce. Live bait is king, then dead baits like 3 x 2 Gar & Yellow tail Pike , then lures.

The drop off boat system will work a treat , good idea.

cheers LP

Gumby_III
06-03-2020, 07:42 PM
Googled “she-wee”. No, not even willing to suggest it!

Dignity
06-03-2020, 08:45 PM
You used to be able to buy the seat with a frame and a plastic bag, get rid of the frame etc as the seat fits over Phill's plastic bucket.
Lookup Kookaburra Portable Toilet.

fishtragic
08-03-2020, 03:57 PM
A mate reckons a split pool noodle makes a comfy seat on your 20l bucket.

scottar
08-03-2020, 07:24 PM
Googled “she-wee”. No, not even willing to suggest it!

Go on...…….just make sure the camera is rolling ::)

Dignity
08-03-2020, 07:46 PM
Go on...…….just make sure the camera is rolling ::)

I'm definitely waiting for thst one to hit YouTube. I reckon you could easily get your 100,000 hits, then follow up with video if trying to pee over the side etc. Money to be made right there.

Dirtyfuzz
12-03-2020, 08:27 AM
Out of curiosity, does the reefs from 1770, Sykes etc work best on a neap or spring tide, friends who fish out of Yeppoon say Neap is best yet down here on Sunshine Coast Spring tides are best?

Lucky_Phill
12-03-2020, 10:28 AM
Out of curiosity, does the reefs from 1770, Sykes etc work best on a neap or spring tide, friends who fish out of Yeppoon say Neap is best yet down here on Sunshine Coast Spring tides are best?

I have fished there since 1979 and found the following>

Depth of water can dictate where you fish. Sometimes it runs hard in waters outside the reefs / islands ( 55mtrs plus ) , and therefore it may be necessary head inside.. ( 40 mtrs )

I prefer to fish 3 - 4 days prior to and after the New and Full Moons. Old theories are the when the Moon is Waxing and or Wanning, it is tipping the fish out, as per photo attached. If you see the Moon not tipping out the fish.. holding them in a basket if you will, then... fish catching is limited.

Here is a good indicator and well worth while keeping in mind. https://www.fishing.net.nz/fishing-advice/maori-fishing-calendar/

Bite times are critical up 1770 ( The Bunker Group or Capricorn Group of islands. Simply put ( no matter what moon phase )

Moon above and below are major bite times, moon rise and set are minor bite times.

Fishing can be prolific when you get a Sun set and Moon Rise coinciding. Or a Moon Rise and Sun Rise.

The ideal time ( A ) is either on a full or new moon ( days before and after ) when the moon rises or sets at dawn, therefore directly above at Noon, or rises or sets and dusk,( B ) and therefore Moon directly below at midnight.

A... is the go to days for daytime fishing.

Up at 1770, the tide gets faster and slower offshore , but does not generally change direction, so even on the big tides, being on the spot at low or high tide, will give the best opportunity to get down with limited weight.

In and around the islands and reefs you can always get out of the run, find eddies and so forth.

cheers LP

Dirtyfuzz
12-03-2020, 01:44 PM
Amazing Info there Phil thank you very much will be doing first offshore run out out of 1770 this year in Winter, we used to go to Agnes a lot surfing springs etc in the 90’s and mucking around in pancake creek but never had the opportunity to head out wide till now!

Volvo
12-03-2020, 02:22 PM
A mate reckons a split pool noodle makes a comfy seat on your 20l bucket.
Too right it does :)..

Lucky_Phill
12-03-2020, 04:49 PM
Amazing Info there Phil thank you very much will be doing first offshore run out out of 1770 this year in Winter, we used to go to Agnes a lot surfing springs etc in the 90’s and mucking around in pancake creek but never had the opportunity to head out wide till now!

All good, if you need gps points, just ask....

cheers LP

Gumby_III
23-03-2020, 08:32 PM
Trip cancelled! Bugger!!! Unfortunately Queensland has closed its borders and I'm not allowed to come home.

Lucky_Phill
26-03-2020, 09:00 AM
Thanks Lucky Phil.

Maybe this is the answer......... my ReBait RestRoom. :)

Noelm
26-03-2020, 10:12 AM
No toilet roll holder? Hang on, there's no toilet paper is there?

Moonlighter
26-03-2020, 05:25 PM
No toilet roll holder? Hang on, there's no toilet paper is there?

deckwash hose ....