PDA

View Full Version : Underrated Boats

OrangeJaybird
20-02-2020, 07:50 PM
So I was chatting with a mate, and we were chatting about the most underrated boats.

What do you all think are underrated boats and great for the price??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobbo1
20-02-2020, 10:02 PM
This message has been deleted

NAGG
20-02-2020, 10:39 PM
Personally - I think there are probably more over rated boats as opposed to under rated …. maybe maybe not.

I'd love to hear what the under rated boats are

Chris

Noelm
21-02-2020, 03:09 AM
Have to agree, lots of boats are "legendary" when in fact are poorly made, and some performance is average, but, the name is everything.

Vromme
21-02-2020, 05:38 AM
Ill start - a little old (1970s to 80s vintage) 15ft yalta craft/cruisecraft cuddy's (a few diff builders same hull) very capable little boat the 445f got all the credit but these hulls where just as good. Cheap as shit (but def need to check for rot in transom/floors/stringers.

Flex
21-02-2020, 07:31 PM
Webster twin fisher

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Lovey80
21-02-2020, 11:39 PM
Webster twin fisher

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

a second from me on that one. I liked mine so much I bought a second one.

Paul071978
22-02-2020, 04:17 AM
It’s funny that my mums partner always talks about these whenever I see him but he’s never actually been in one

Noelm
22-02-2020, 05:09 AM
It’s funny that my mums partner always talks about these whenever I see him but he’s never actually been in one
That's how "legends" are born, and over rated boats get their reputation, these urban myths and old wives tales just keep perpetuating.

ozynorts
22-02-2020, 07:28 AM
From the modern boats I think the Yalta craft are very under rated, especially the 555/2000.

Dirtyfuzz
22-02-2020, 07:28 AM
I remember the olds had a cruise craft reef raider, not sure if it would be classed as underrated but we did everything in that thing as kids, water skiing one wkend and then head out offshore around the islands out of Mackay the next

Chimo
22-02-2020, 09:00 AM
Express 5.2 and the 5.6 great sea boats with little HP needed.

stevet
22-02-2020, 09:32 AM
Express 5.2 and the 5.6 great sea boats with little HP needed.

owners love them

Vromme
22-02-2020, 10:04 AM
owners love them

As long as your bilge works well (the older ones leak like sieves!)

Chimo
22-02-2020, 10:23 AM
My 1988 doesn't leak.
They don't like petrol spilled into the bilge and if you do the connection between the transom and the bottom will leak until you reapply some fresh sealant.eg sikkaflex
Ask me how I know, after a boo boo in my 5.6 !

Vromme
22-02-2020, 11:33 AM
They didnt like being run up onto the beach at long reef in Syd - solid test for any boat there but mine and mate who had one the same both leaked after a couple of yrs. It was decent little tinny, still like the look of them.

jclay1773
22-02-2020, 04:12 PM
Most underrated boat, a quality platey. The glass fans just can’t admit that they can ride just as good if not better.

Ducksnutz
22-02-2020, 05:14 PM
Most underrated boat, a quality platey. The glass fans just can’t admit that they can ride just as good if not better.
So just to be clear, the best made plate versus the best made fibreglass, you think that the plate will ride better? Not arguing just want you to be clear. Personally for an example, a Noosa cat or Edencraft 233 will in my humble opinion ride better than say a Sailfish cat or Moda/Riptide of equivalent size. Both styles have their pro’s and cons but ride?
I’ve only ever owned a Barcrusher in plate and have fished off a mates Col Svennson built Fisher (ripper boat) but I think glass will always win in ride.

Like I said, not arguing, just from 30 plus years of boating I think glass wins in ride. Plate wins in other aspects just not ride. All in my humble opinion. No offence intended.

Noelm
22-02-2020, 05:52 PM
All those "go fast" Edencraft are dandy, if you're doing 40 knots, but stop, and they are unstable, not my ideal fishing boat by a long shot.

Ducksnutz
22-02-2020, 06:05 PM
All those "go fast" Edencraft are dandy, if you're doing 40 knots, but stop, and they are unstable, not my ideal fishing boat by a long shot.
Agree Noelm, but Jclay was specifically talking about ride.

Noelm
22-02-2020, 06:10 PM
A different comparison might be (say) an Aluminium cat and a near flat bottomed glass boat, which one will ride better? the material the boat is made out of is only a small part of ride quality.

Ducksnutz
22-02-2020, 06:23 PM
A different comparison might be (say) an Aluminium cat and a near flat bottomed glass boat, which one will ride better? the material the boat is made out of is only a small part of ride quality.
Again, agree Noelm. I’m not interested in an argument or debate for that matter. Hull design, correctly propped and powered, are all characteristics that proves a hull performance. My opinion, and again, my opinion only, glass will RIDE better than Ali.

I’m most definitely not against plate boats as I almost put down a deposit for a Col Svennson Fisher Mark 1 and my wife was his care planner at Ningi medical centre. The debate here is ride. 40nm out wide, she blows, what would you want? Plate or glass to get home?

NAGG
22-02-2020, 06:35 PM
So just to be clear, the best made plate versus the best made fibreglass, you think that the plate will ride better? Not arguing just want you to be clear. Personally for an example, a Noosa cat or Edencraft 233 will in my humble opinion ride better than say a Sailfish cat or Moda/Riptide of equivalent size. Both styles have their pro’s and cons but ride?
I’ve only ever owned a Barcrusher in plate and have fished off a mates Col Svennson built Fisher (ripper boat) but I think glass will always win in ride.

Like I said, not arguing, just from 30 plus years of boating I think glass wins in ride. Plate wins in other aspects just not ride. All in my humble opinion. No offence intended.

Now that is an over rated boat - Sailfish

I found them to broach , bang & quite wet as the mist gets sucked into the cabin .

Recently a mate who has one commented how my barcrusher rode better than his beloved Sailfish - I was surprised.

Chris

NAGG
22-02-2020, 06:50 PM
I'm still struggling with this concept of an under rated boat

what is the criteria ? ….. what makes a boat under rated ? - Capability or lack of sales ?
If a boat is any good - people will buy it & then it really can't be under rated .

Is a Stabi craft under rated ? …… I know it is an extremely capable boat but it's ugly and that impacts on sales .

I don't know

Chris

catshark
22-02-2020, 08:35 PM
a second from me on that one. I liked mine so much I bought a second one.
A third from me, although i havent been in one, i was jaw droppin as one was getting air as we raced out to montague island

catshark
22-02-2020, 08:45 PM
i might add that this little webster was punching forward strong and landing softly. i couldnt believe this 4.3 mtr thingy was behaving with big boat attitude

banshee
22-02-2020, 09:16 PM
Glass V Alloy for ride or speed? Glass,there is only so much you can do with alloy,it is a very rigid medium,Glass on the other hand will conform to whatever the mould dictates,no curve is to complex.How many offshore racing hulls are not of a composite construction?

Noelm
23-02-2020, 06:45 AM
I'm still struggling with this concept of an under rated boat

what is the criteria ? ….. what makes a boat under rated ? - Capability or lack of sales ?
If a boat is any good - people will buy it & then it really can't be under rated .

Is a Stabi craft under rated ? …… I know it is an extremely capable boat but it's ugly and that impacts on sales .

I don't know

Chris
Makes sense, what a boat is made out of makes no difference, whether a boat can do 60knots makes no difference, how you get back when the wind comes up also makes no difference on whether a boat is underrated or not. There is hundreds a great little boats out there, boats families have owned and loved for decades, are they underrated? people are in love with old Seafarers and Haines Hunters, so much so that these names have become legendary, most have never owned one, but "rate them" boats can be very personal, what suits me, doesn't suit you, circumstances change, the boat that suits now, mightn't suit in a few years, does that change its rating? is a smooth ride what makes one boat better than another? is the ability to carry big HP change the rating? my good mate has a little Sea devil (5.2m) with a 175 on it, goes like the clappers, but, does that make it better or worse rating than something else?

tunaticer
23-02-2020, 08:02 AM
Nobody has mentioned Polycraft yet??

NAGG
23-02-2020, 09:00 AM
Nobody has mentioned Polycraft yet??

Are they underrated ?
there are certainly a lot of fans of the Tupperware boats ….. probably make one of the best tenders going .

I've been trying to get my head around this question & I did come up with a boat …… but I don't know if it is underrated - you just dot see many of them

NAGG
23-02-2020, 09:04 AM
Hydrofeld :huh2:

Now this is a boat that has exceptional seaworthiness ….Innovative very well built & has pretty well kept the same hull for the best part of 40 years .
You don't see a lot of them but I believe they are still made . Could this be a contender for an underrated boat ?

Comments

Chris

shortthenlong
23-02-2020, 11:37 AM
Hydrofeld :huh2:

Now this is a boat that has exceptional seaworthiness ….Innovative very well built & has pretty well kept the same hull for the best part of 40 years .
You don't see a lot of them but I believe they are still made . Could this be a contender for an underrated boat ?

Comments

Chris

Move to central Queensland. They are everywhere. Too ugly for my taste.

Matt

billfisher
23-02-2020, 02:06 PM
Are they underrated ?
there are certainly a lot of fans of the Tupperware boats ….. probably make one of the best tenders going .

Weren't you trying to tell us, about 10 years ago, that they wouldn't last due to UV degradation - according to your inside/ industry knowledge?

Ducksnutz
23-02-2020, 02:39 PM

Matt
Agree. The other boat that commonly gets the ugly tag is Stabi-craft. I personally like the look of the newer models but know plenty that aren’t keen on the look. I love the bigger models and they look bullet proof.

Noelm
23-02-2020, 02:43 PM
Weren't you trying to tell us, about 10 years ago, that they wouldn't last due to UV degradation - according to your inside/ industry knowledge?
Not too sure about Poly boats, I have been in plenty and cant say I would rush out to buy one, I personally don't think they are underrated or overrated, perhaps not even rated at all, just another boat to buy, no better or worse than comparable sized glass or aluminium boats.

stevej
23-02-2020, 02:46 PM
Re the Webster

4-5 times I have been close to handing cash over for a 4.6 but each time something just wrecked the deal.

Twice due to trailers not being able to handle the weight seems was a common sales thing to reduce the package
Other just difficult sellers

One day I’ll have one

They are wet though

Underrated would be all the little 4.5 4.75 glass cuddies like the ones made by savage Bermuda etc

70hp rides ok cheap to tow and stores in a standard garage
perfect boats for bay and light offshore

billfisher
23-02-2020, 03:19 PM
Not too sure about Poly boats, I have been in plenty and cant say I would rush out to buy one, I personally don't think they are underrated or overrated, perhaps not even rated at all, just another boat to buy, no better or worse than comparable sized glass or aluminium boats.

Well some might consider them better. They are quite different to similar sized boats in other materials. Especially alloy boats (they are more similar to glass boats, but more durable). It depends what you value more highly in terms of characteristics. I have a 4.1 Polycraft tiller steer and I wouldn't go back to a tinny. There is such a big difference in stability at rest as well as softness of ride.

odieman150
23-02-2020, 05:00 PM
Well some might consider them better. They are quite different to similar sized boats in other materials. Especially alloy boats (they are more similar to glass boats, but more durable). It depends what you value more highly in terms of characteristics. I have a 4.1 Polycraft tiller steer and I wouldn't go back to a tinny. There is such a big difference in stability at rest as well as softness of ride.
Our first boat many years ago was a tinny and now on our third polycraft. Not the prettiest boat out there but all have been fantastic as far as ride and stability. Would only trade our current poly on a huge cruiser that i could not afford to buy or run. I think boats are like cars in that if you get a good run out of what you have that one is obviously the best.

Noelm
23-02-2020, 05:07 PM
Once again, people are quoting characteristics that are not a product of the material the boat is made out of, stability is not a product of being made out of poly, a glass or alloy cat, or a flat bottom wide punt will be more stabil.

billfisher
23-02-2020, 05:37 PM
Once again, people are quoting characteristics that are not a product of the material the boat is made out of, stability is not a product of being made out of poly, a glass or alloy cat, or a flat bottom wide punt will be more stabil.

Well the thread is actually about boat makes and models and not specifically the merits of different materials. Ie Polycraft is a brand - not a material. Though one can generalise, eg a flat bottom punt might be stable but it won't have a good ride. The Polycraft combines both quite well.

efc
23-02-2020, 06:42 PM
4m tinny would be the most underrated.
Can catch marlin one weekend and go up the skinniest creek crabbing the next.
Can buy one fully set-up for under 10k and can be towed by almost any car.

scottar
23-02-2020, 07:20 PM
The most under rated boat...……..someone else's. ;)

Jarrad stevenson
23-02-2020, 07:34 PM
4m tinny would be the most underrated.
Can catch marlin one weekend and go up the skinniest creek crabbing the next.
Can buy one fully set-up for under 10k and can be towed by almost any car.

Fair call on that, amazing what you can do with a little 4.2 wide body dory or equivalent. Sold 400 million of them so whether underrated comes in to play I’m not quite sure. Still miss the convenience of my old dory from time to time.

NAGG
23-02-2020, 08:00 PM

Yes …… More like 15 years ago

& I still work in the industry - 30 years next year ……. lets just keep it at that .

Chris

blacklab
23-02-2020, 08:33 PM
Yeah, it's a pretty subjective question really.
Under rated would be like, say, a dark horse performing as it wasn't expected too, a bit like Pauline Hanson making it to be prime minister ,,, or Greta Thunberg ever tucking in to a good porter house steak !!!!!.

Everyone has a soft spot for there own boat and brand loyalty would never bring conscences, look at the Plate vrs Glass comparrison previously bought up.

So, best we just accept that my CC Reef Finder, wins in most classes and questions and leave it at that..

Admin, can you please lock this thread immediately ........

Col
;D

NAGG
24-02-2020, 06:47 AM
Yeah, it's a pretty subjective question really.
Under rated would be like, say, a dark horse performing as it wasn't expected too, a bit like Pauline Hanson making it to be prime minister ,,, or Greta Thunberg ever tucking in to a good porter house steak !!!!!.

Everyone has a soft spot for there own boat and brand loyalty would never bring conscences, look at the Plate vrs Glass comparrison previously bought up.

So, best we just accept that my CC Reef Finder, wins in most classes and questions and leave it at that..

Admin, can you please lock this thread immediately ........

Col
;D

Col

I had 8 great years with my 1994 Quintrex reef raider 5.35 (less so with the Mariner 75 2 stroke)
That boat was light , easily handled , quite stable , handled the seas very well ,,, It took me far and wide ….. It could be a wet boat but generally it was pretty good.
This was a boat that punched above it's weight & I had no qualms about taking it out to the shelf on the right days .
Unfortunately I did split the hull up near the bow …… but it was generally a good boat for what it was - bream fishing one day , tuna & marlin the next.

Chris

blacklab
24-02-2020, 07:38 AM
Gidday Chris, Sounded like the Quinny did you well. Same here really, I think there's a few boat types, that can punch well above there weight, all be it in the right conditions. Mine, is a bit of a pig in the short chop, the Cuddy is well forward which contributes to that, but it makes for a huge fishing area deck space, suppose that's the trade off. I'm going to be testing out some decent trim tabs once she's back on the water. But she performs well above it's weight and size out wide, fantastic in a following sea really sure footed in the big stuff. Noel had it spot on when he said about the quality of the build of some of these "classics", pretty terrible really. I guess I would luv a newer 6 mtr glass boat to improve things when out wide, but then for me, it would be to big solo or for storage. There's trade offs with any boat, but I know not all boats have the ability to do what other boats do,due to there design. So maybe the question should have been, rather than "underated", which boat punches above it's size.... but there's the dilemma, If I say that mine punches above it's size, there's always a smaller boat capable of claiming the same.
An interesting question would have been, which boat design, absolutely failed !! there must have been some models/brands built that were absolute Lemons ??.

Col

jclay1773
24-02-2020, 08:30 AM

no experience with those glass boats. But a good platey can ride as good if not better than a Haines, seafarer, Haines sig and cruisecraft. That’s my main glass experience. I mentioned plate because so many people write them off as being a good ride and therefore I believe the ride to be underrated.

billfisher
24-02-2020, 10:30 AM
Yes …… More like 15 years ago

& I still work in the industry - 30 years next year ……. lets just keep it at that .

Chris

Mine's actually 15 years old now. No sign of UV damage - it looks like brand new. Haven't heard anything about in on social media either. Only a couple of cases of cracks/ splitting in the 6 m model. So it looks like they have stood the test of time.

banshee
24-02-2020, 10:33 AM
I believe the Edenrcraft 233 is a rebadged Haines formula? Would take some plate boat to knock one of these off for ride at speed if that were the case.

NAGG
24-02-2020, 10:41 AM
Mine's actually 15 years old now. No sign of UV damage - it looks like brand new. Haven't heard anything about in on social media either. Only a couple of cases of cracks/ splitting in the 6 m model. So it looks like they have stood the test of time.

Glad to hear that

Chris

Noelm
24-02-2020, 10:56 AM
I believe the Edenrcraft 233 is a rebadged Haines formula? Would take some plate boat to knock one of these off for ride at speed if that were the case.
Speed is relative to HP, the drivers experience and how much pounding he/they are prepared to take, all these photos of boats with hundreds of HP jumping over waves is not your average fishing trip or family picnic.

NAGG
24-02-2020, 11:07 AM
Gidday Chris, Sounded like the Quinny did you well. Same here really, I think there's a few boat types, that can punch well above there weight, all be it in the right conditions. Mine, is a bit of a pig in the short chop, the Cuddy is well forward which contributes to that, but it makes for a huge fishing area deck space, suppose that's the trade off. I'm going to be testing out some decent trim tabs once she's back on the water. But she performs well above it's weight and size out wide, fantastic in a following sea really sure footed in the big stuff. Noel had it spot on when he said about the quality of the build of some of these "classics", pretty terrible really. I guess I would luv a newer 6 mtr glass boat to improve things when out wide, but then for me, it would be to big solo or for storage. There's trade offs with any boat, but I know not all boats have the ability to do what other boats do,due to there design. So maybe the question should have been, rather than "underated", which boat punches above it's size.... but there's the dilemma, If I say that mine punches above it's size, there's always a smaller boat capable of claiming the same.
An interesting question would have been, which boat design, absolutely failed !! there must have been some models/brands built that were absolute Lemons ??.

Col

Spot on ……. hence why I'm struggling to identify underrated boats

There are so many variable with boats aside from ride & stability at rest . The 5m Seajay Barramasta I recently sold was an example of a boat that could punch well above it's class - an inshore boat which was pretty darn good offshore ……. however being a low riding side console with a medium variable deadrise - it was wet ……. but very stable at rest.

Boats are very personal as well - preferences for material type , hull configuration & a whole raft of others considerations . There are boats that are great in certain scenarios - A bass boat racing around on a dam - is king of that domain , A cat sitting on some offshore reef …… but I don't have that same confidence in that cat crossing a bar or running in a following sea , ….. it just goes on & it's that whole compromise thing.

Chris

Vromme
24-02-2020, 01:11 PM
There really are so many variables in terms of size, use, trailer ability, location (inshore/river/reef/blue water etc). you could list under rated (or over rated) boats in a variety of ways.

Most under rated all rounder IMO still is the little 15ft cuddy cabin glass boats you see in numerous brands (yalta cruiscrafts etc etc). Cheap as chips, do pretty much everything, handle a bit of sea and chop and still stable, ski behind, av garage/carport needed any decent car can tow it. Very basic, no nonsense little boats.

Used to be popular in 70's and 80's - boats seemed to get bigger more exy these days.

These sorts of boats:
http://bray-park-qld.australialisted.com/4500/boats-yachts-parts/cruise-craft-rapid-v15-ready-for-family-fun-and-fishing_18298533.html
https://boats-from-au.com/not-specified/45m-15ft-yalta-craft-boat-2374

banshee
24-02-2020, 01:36 PM
Speed is relative to HP, the drivers experience and how much pounding he/they are prepared to take, all these photos of boats with hundreds of HP jumping over waves is not your average fishing trip or family picnic.

Totally disagree,I maintain that the key to speed is hull design.My mate has a 5m Sea Devil with a ninety on the back,I have a 5m Cruise Craft with a one fifteen on it,his boat is noticeably smoother right up to the point where I drop off and let him go if it's sloppy.The claim was though 'that a quality platey can ride as good if not better than a glass boat'.Considering that the Haines 223 is a 22ft 3ins offshore racing hull converted to just about every configuration going I will still say that if you put the same length alloy hull,regardless of horsepower next to it in the same trying conditions the glass will be a better ride.You disagree?

banshee
24-02-2020, 01:46 PM
……. hence why I'm struggling to identify underrated boats............ Chris

I doubt you will identify an underrated boat.For it to be underrated it must have firstly been rated badly and personally I have never read a bad boat review,they don't seem to exist,hence you will only find overrated boats.

DATCOL
24-02-2020, 01:49 PM
Ralph Morgan built Try Gullwing 6 meter reef seeker alley plate Exceptional all round boat

gazza2006au
24-02-2020, 03:55 PM
Ralph Morgan built Try Gullwing 6 meter reef seeker alley plate Exceptional all round boat

120865120866Have u even been pinched on over hang?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

tug_tellum
24-02-2020, 04:41 PM
Does anyone have an opinion either way on 15ft. Allison?
Just interested to hear of anything about them.
tug-telluM

NAGG
24-02-2020, 05:19 PM
I doubt you will identify an underrated boat.For it to be underrated it must have firstly been rated badly and personally I have never read a bad boat review,they don't seem to exist,hence you will only find overrated boats.

Something doesn't have to be badly rated to be underrated …. some things just slip under the radar or didn't capture the imagination of the boating public - for whatever reason .

underrated
is something that has not received the merit, recognition or praise it deserves

Noelm
24-02-2020, 06:24 PM
Totally disagree,I maintain that the key to speed is hull design.My mate has a 5m Sea Devil with a ninety on the back,I have a 5m Cruise Craft with a one fifteen on it,his boat is noticeably smoother right up to the point where I drop off and let him go if it's sloppy.The claim was though 'that a quality platey can ride as good if not better than a glass boat'.Considering that the Haines 223 is a 22ft 3ins offshore racing hull converted to just about every configuration going I will still say that if you put the same length alloy hull,regardless of horsepower next to it in the same trying conditions the glass will be a better ride.You disagree?
That's what I am saying, it's design, not material, but, it needs to be useful, no use having 600hp on the back of the worlds deepest V in a skinny boat, but you can't stop to fish, I know you can build an alloy boat that will ride just as good, most Aluminium cats ride much better, but, compromises are the name of the game, but, once again, that's not what the original question was about.

robothefisho
24-02-2020, 07:58 PM
Pursuit boats, in particular the 600.

scottar
24-02-2020, 08:45 PM
Throwback to this gem. Very under rated. appears unsinkable...…...no matter how hard you try

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php/208559-boating-mishap

DATCOL
24-02-2020, 09:47 PM
hi Gaz quite legal doesn't exceed the allowed towing width

gazza2006au
24-02-2020, 10:54 PM
Dat lovely looking boat boy that hull looks deep

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

gazza2006au
24-02-2020, 10:56 PM
There was a advertisement a few days ago with a really well done video clip of a forward steer 233 i was wowed at how nice it cut thru the chop i donno if the video was done with special editing software to make it look like it rode so smooth but dang it looks so comfy

billfisher
25-02-2020, 07:44 AM
That's what I am saying, it's design, not material, but, it needs to be useful, no use having 600hp on the back of the worlds deepest V in a skinny boat, but you can't stop to fish, I know you can build an alloy boat that will ride just as good, most Aluminium cats ride much better, but, compromises are the name of the game, but, once again, that's not what the original question was about.

But the material puts limitations on the design. Eg fiberglass can be moulded in an inifinite variety of shapes, eg complex varable deadrises. Whereas aluminium has some limits on the hull shapes that can be achieved. I doubt that the best aluminium boats will beat the overall ride and handling of the best fiberglass boats.

BigE
25-02-2020, 09:12 AM
2200 Yaltacraft (615odesa)
Hydrofield 6.6
Sharkcat 5.6
not sayin they are the "best boats" but have lived with these and found them to be excellent boats for my type of fishing , yalta wins for easy of use solo which is more than 50% of my fishing.
4 -5 mins to launch or retrieve
1.8 to 2.2 km per ltr to run (in fishing trim)
tows at highway speed for 13.5 km to the ltr (done bris to bowen twice)
can fish 1- 6 people ( 6 is tight but 2-3 is a pleasure)

but most of all i can run it myself and it feels safe

very subjective thing "rating boats"

BigE

CT
25-02-2020, 11:13 AM

Matt

Yeppoon is the spiratual home of Hydrofields.

Just as well I bought a mono!

Noelm
25-02-2020, 02:51 PM
But the material puts limitations on the design. Eg fiberglass can be moulded in an inifinite variety of shapes, eg complex varable deadrises. Whereas aluminium has some limits on the hull shapes that can be achieved. I doubt that the best aluminium boats will beat the overall ride and handling of the best fiberglass boats.
I don't totally agree with that, but, as mentioned, it's not what the post is/was about in any way shape or form, it's about underrated boats, not whether glass is better, faster or a better ride.

gazza2006au
25-02-2020, 05:07 PM
those multi hull boats look terrible but i bet they are rock solid out in the rough

billfisher
25-02-2020, 05:51 PM
I don't totally agree with that, but, as mentioned, it's not what the post is/was about in any way shape or form, it's about underrated boats, not whether glass is better, faster or a better ride.

Well that's a bit pedantic. As 'underrated boats' could be taken to means a style or material of boat.

Paul071978
25-02-2020, 11:01 PM
Build two identical hull shapes one glass and the other Ali. Hands down glass will be more stable and ride better as it’s heavier and has some flex albeit slower than the Ali

Dirtyfuzz
26-02-2020, 08:23 AM
I don’t like the low transom height on the little poly crafts they have on Big cat reality, we nearly sunk one because the bilge couldn’t keep up with the amount of water coming over the back!

scottar
26-02-2020, 10:06 AM
Build two identical hull shapes one glass and the other Ali. Hands down glass will be more stable and ride better as it’s heavier and has some flex albeit slower than the Ali

Only if you do build it lighter. Build it with the necessary bracing and plate gauge to achieve the same weight and short of perception due to noise they will ride the same. As such it's only design or budget that really makes the biggest difference. Glass boats can be made substantially lighter now as well due to light weight composite bracing materials and new costruction techniques. Put one of the new ones against an older heavier boat (assuming no extra glass is added) and I'll bet the old one rides softer due to the extra weight.

inveratta
26-02-2020, 12:04 PM
Been scratching my head ...an "underrated" boat.....performance...construction... design..cost..my sixpence...the viking ship...cheap to build ...leaks a bit mind you.. can cross oceans economically and if you cant get the oars started ..just hoist the auxiliary sail .Overwinter storage ... drag it up the beach and put a few stones in the hull.Pretty much everything after that hull was detail...

GBC
26-02-2020, 12:08 PM
I don’t like the low transom height on the little poly crafts they have on Big cat reality, we nearly sunk one because the bilge couldn’t keep up with the amount of water coming over the back!
That would be because they are Smartwaves not polycraft. I have no doubt you could plane a 4.5 poly in reverse. The sponsons also protrude behind the engine so stern recovery is stupidly good for a little boat. The one we had fished all sorts of places a 4.5 shouldn't go. And they float with the bungs out anyway. Speaking of under rated.... wet, slow, but do all the important things well.

Lovey80
26-02-2020, 12:37 PM
Only if you do build it lighter. Build it with the necessary bracing and plate gauge to achieve the same weight and short of perception due to noise they will ride the same. As such it's only design or budget that really makes the biggest difference. Glass boats can be made substantially lighter now as well due to light weight composite bracing materials and new costruction techniques. Put one of the new ones against an older heavier boat (assuming no extra glass is added) and I'll bet the old one rides softer due to the extra weight.

That last sentence may be true of most monos but doesn’t hold true for all design types. The first part of your reply is spot on though. But the modern composite techniques being lighter than most plate designs also means that things like larger fuel and water storage on a similarly designed hull can be achieved with similar ride characteristics.

stevej
26-02-2020, 04:12 PM
a Mate had the older shaft drive diesel arvor but it seems they are all now outboard based
https://arvor.com.au/sportsfish/arvor-555-sportsfish/

it was slow not overly maneuverable with poor ventilation in the cab,which was fixed with some mods
but it went everywhere and anywhere with good fuel economy and no knee jarring bumps
nice rough wet weather boat

Noelm
26-02-2020, 04:42 PM
Probably I guess in really strange kind of way, maybe the old timber "putt putt" might be underrated, smooth ride, unbelievable fuel economy, very seaworthy, very simple motors, perhaps maintenance might be a killer now though, and speed certainly wasn't their strong point.

blacklab
26-02-2020, 04:50 PM
Steve, I used to see an Arvor down here out western port a lot, it was Malcom Frasers from memory, he was pretty long in the tooth by then but.
I don't know what it is about the Arvor, its a Scandenavian design semi displacement boat by memory, but In a strange way I quite like it.
I don;t know anyone with one or had any feed back at all, but as mentioned I use to ponder over one after seeing one regularly. It looks like a well sorted out roomy boat inside. I did read they were doing them with outboards as well. Just one of those boats I stop and look at for some reason...

Col

stevej
26-02-2020, 05:08 PM
could almost get it to kinda plane flat stick
this one was located in sydney harbour on a lifting berth

from memory it was ridiculously frugal on fuel 5l per hour trolling cruised at 15 knots for 10l per hour

catshark
26-02-2020, 06:23 PM
i could handle on of these underated pocket tug boats

when i reply or try to reply , i get this ( blah blah ten characters cant reply doodle dee ) headache

Paul071978
26-02-2020, 08:43 PM

Unless you modify the internal design of the plate boat too a large extent to provide the additional weight which never happens. Also the plate boat is very stiff and glass has some give providing a softer ride. Plate boats are inherently taller thus having a higher COG adding to the increased likelihood of broaching

NAGG
27-02-2020, 07:34 AM
those multi hull boats look terrible but i bet they are rock solid out in the rough

They look better on the water than they do on a trailer that's for sure .
Back in the day when I was fishing ANSA comps there was the odd one getting around & they certainly looked to do a great job offshore ….. certainly better than the little shark cat I was fishing out of .

I'm convinced that when someone talks about under rated boat - aesthetics will be the biggest factor ……. if people wont buy it (sold in limited numbers) the boat could be deemed as under rated .

Chris

inveratta
27-02-2020, 07:48 AM
[QUOTE=blacklab;1666383]Steve, I used to see an Arvor down here out western port a lot, it was Malcom Frasers from memory, he was pretty long in the tooth by then but.
I don't know what it is about the Arvor, its a Scandenavian design semi displacement boat by memory, but In a strange way I quite like it.
I don;t know anyone with one or had any feed back at all, but as mentioned I use to ponder over one after seeing one regularly. It looks like a well sorted out roomy boat inside. I did read they were doing them with outboards as well. Just one of those boats I stop and look at for some reason...

spent quite a few times in an older Arvor.....a French design for the langoustine fishing French coast English Channel....semi displacement ..diesel engine with a clear deck behind a small cabin....very seaworthy ..economical ..but slow.So stable and sea friendly that they were a delight to fish out of.The cabin was pretty hot and the boat was not really tow friendly so very limited market...nevertheless the real deal boat for an all weather fisherman..

GBC
27-02-2020, 07:57 AM
Arvor. Still basically a planing hull, bob like a cork, have no displacement characteristics (drive any 6m boat as slow as an arvor and its going to ride just fine), and extremely weight sensitive. A few blokes and a bit of gear and the 17kt top end becomes 11-12 kts. I agree the theory looks great but the reality lets them down. Overrated.

Ducksnutz
27-02-2020, 07:58 AM
https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2002-CLAYTON-MARINE-GALLANT-68/OAG-AD-17643292

Always thought Clayton marine were underrated. Growing up in South Australia, where they are/were built, there were a few but moving to Queensland I’ve not seen many except for the charter up at 1770.

FisHard
27-02-2020, 08:55 PM
https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2002-CLAYTON-MARINE-GALLANT-68/OAG-AD-17643292

Always thought Clayton marine were underrated. Growing up in South Australia, where they are/were built, there were a few but moving to Queensland I’ve not seen many except for the charter up at 1770.
And the one at 1770 rides great! Been on it a couple times and been very impressed with how soft it traveled