PDA

View Full Version : DIY pod disaster..

disorderly
11-01-2020, 08:10 PM

We all like to think we are pretty handy but imagine what happened to these fella's today happening 50km's offshore....

Just lucky to get a tow to the closet shoreline...

Coastguard wouldn't touch it and recommended a salvage operator...

Anyone got any further info.?...Happened off Fremantle I'm told..

Disclaimer...I'm assuming its homemade as it looks like someone has glued a old fibreglass esky on the transom....lol

scottar
11-01-2020, 08:21 PM
Need the full story before passing judgement. Could have been a high speed impact on the outboard leg. Take a look at what happened last year in the middle of the pacific just because someone got a rope in their props - on a commercially built vessel.

gazza2006au
11-01-2020, 11:12 PM
I would guess there core was to thin, if it were rot it would have just pulled the mounting bolts thru and the ply would look dark

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

gazza2006au
12-01-2020, 12:03 AM
This is why when i was planning my pod i was going to vacuum bag the pod and infuse the resin and make a laminate 20mm thick for the entire pod

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

Sheik
12-01-2020, 05:48 AM
Poor buggers. Whether it's their fault or not, you still have to feel for them hey. 250 suzie, wow , what's that 20, 25, 30?

Vromme
12-01-2020, 06:55 AM
Maybe they took the black anchor thing literally?

Just got the brand wrong. :)

gazza2006au
12-01-2020, 07:22 AM
He would be looking at a nice chunk of change to repair, That pod would cost 3k to 5k alone if a shop were to repair it

CT
12-01-2020, 03:03 PM
I loved that Coast Guard made sure they were on a beach then left them too it! Our local Coast Guard would have kept on with it until it was back on the trailer in the carpark.

inveratta
12-01-2020, 03:47 PM
the photo blows up quite well....and you can clearly see where the transom mount has pulled through ripping off the outside panel as well..what will the assessor make of this ?Dunno but it looks under engineered for such a rig...mind you Im not arguing with the bloke on the left.......

Ducksnutz
12-01-2020, 05:23 PM
My opinion, and this is only my opinion, I’ve never understood the need for pods. With boat manufacturers designs, I don’t understand the need to improve a hull design that would/should be tested in R&D. Can someone explain the need for a pod that would improve a hull design that has already been tried and tested? It’s the same for wave breakers on the Haines 17L are they necessary? Seriously interested in opinions.

Flex
12-01-2020, 05:31 PM
My opinion, and this is only my opinion, I’ve never understood the need for pods. With boat manufacturers designs, I don’t understand the need to improve a hull design that would/should be tested in R&D. Can someone explain the need for a pod that would improve a hull design that has already been tried and tested? It’s the same for wave breakers on the Haines 17L are they necessary? Seriously interested in opinions.

Biggest reason for adding a pod is for carrying extra weight of new 4 strokes.

Many people can’t afford brand new boat, so they buy old one designed for lighter 2 strokes back in 80-90’s etc. slap a pod on to float the heavier 4 strokes. Sometimes it’s done for added deck space.
9- times out of 10 it works fine with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

Ducksnutz
12-01-2020, 05:40 PM
Biggest reason for adding a pod is for carrying extra weight of new 4 strokes.

Many people can’t afford brand new boat, so they buy old one designed for lighter 2 strokes back in 80-90’s etc. slap a pod on to float the heavier 4 strokes. Sometimes it’s done for added deck space.
9- times out of 10 it works fine with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)
Thanks Flex. Explains the reasoning. My only concern with that is would the cost of pod and new modern four stroke out weigh the decision to just buy a modern hull? I’m certainly not knocking anyone who does this just trying to understand whether the financial benefits are there.

scottar
12-01-2020, 06:34 PM
Yep either extra buoyancy or in this case conversion of an inboard powered hull to an outboard power plant. It's not always a financial decision, some just love "their" boat or have a sentimental connection to it. That said, old hull that owes you nothing plus 15-20 grand and an engine still comes out way ahead of a new purchase in a lot of cases. I went through it with my hardtop build. Absolute best I would have done on a fully accessorised rig would have been around 50K. New hard top rig with nothing in it - 100K with another 20 to spend on accessories to get to what I had before. With an older boat the difference is even bigger. Even on a good trailer, you would be lucky to get 20K for an old 6 metre-ish rig as a trade or private sale. Leaves a lot of room for a new motor and some glass work.

catshark
12-01-2020, 08:29 PM
im guessing that it cracked out wide and then they nursed it close to shore then the beaching made the whole back peel off , it should still float if they sealed the original inboard hole, but man o man , sorry dudes should of gone for alloy pod

gazza2006au
12-01-2020, 08:39 PM
No one i know of or have spoken to knows that magic number for a pod in thickness of ply and laminate, its just one of those things u way over engineer or shit like this happens

EdBerg
13-01-2020, 12:56 PM
We all like to think we are pretty handy but imagine what happened to these fella's today happening 50km's offshore....

Just lucky to get a tow to the closet shoreline...

Coastguard wouldn't touch it and recommended a salvage operator...

Anyone got any further info.?...Happened off Fremantle I'm told..

Disclaimer...I'm assuming its homemade as it looks like someone has glued a old fibreglass esky on the transom....lol

Without much better pictures it is hard to say what caused it to fail, unfortunately any Tom, Dick or Harry can put some glass and resin on something and call themselves a laminator or weld up some Ally plate and call themselves a welder, however they may not design/reinforce the pod correctly and/or not laminate it properly, and in the case of Ally it may look like it is welded properly but in fact it may not be. When I was younger I had a GRP repair business and saw way too many things poorly made by DYI amateurs and also by some commercial outfits as well, that there is little that would surprise me.

It does look home made to me but hard to say without proper physical inspection, as for what caused it could vary from hitting something to fatigue or improper manufacture, it looks like the hull originally had an inboard in it. Looking at the broken edges and its design I would probably guess that it was poorly made. Just my 2 cents worth!

stevej
13-01-2020, 01:26 PM
Control steering cables would have stopped it from disappearing completely and held it to the boat. It’s only a few hundred kilos hanging off them

Hence anyone who’s says their engine fell off completely is generally full of shit

TheGurn
13-01-2020, 02:13 PM
Control steering cables would have stopped it from disappearing completely and held it to the boat. It’s only a few hundred kilos hanging off them

Hence anyone who’s says their engine fell off completely is generally full of shit

Reminds me of a time down the river many many years ago. I heard an outboard coming and it just stopped. From full noise to silence. When I turned to look a bloke was peering over the back of a hire boat in about 3 mtrs of water. No motor there anymore. Tiller steer jobbie. Happened out from the hire place so no help required from me.
I always wondered how he got on with that.
And I know it's bad form.... but I had to chuckle. The same hire guy ripped me off big time when I lost one of his anchors to the rocks years before that and before I owned a boat. Justice was served. Karma may be slow, but it is inevitable.

Cheers
Gurn.

Watto79
13-01-2020, 02:48 PM
This scenario happened to a mate of mine in his Haines V19C years ago 3/4s of the way across to Moreton.

His pod had been done professionally (paid job) and it had a brand new engine on the back also..

Correct the cables held the engine to the boat but in his case the weight was enough to pull one side down to the point that they were taking on water at times from waves as it was not a flat day, couple this with his missus who was pregnant with his son at the time on board you can imagine it was a very unpleasant situation for him, I remember him saying he was looking for ways to cut the cables and send it to the bottom at one stage cause he thought it was going to sink them!

Thankfully VMR reached him in time and towed it back to Nudgee ramp, the poor old 200HP was in a very bad way after being underwater the whole way then dragged up the boat ramp before being loaded onto a tilt tray and taken away for repair.

Got a new pod and new motor eventually through insurance I think but not 100% sure how it all panned out but the pod was not done by the original supplier and was actually built into the hull second time around as opposed to the bolt on and glass job initially that didn't hold up!