PDA

View Full Version : GT or FG Knot

Volvo
07-01-2020, 01:02 PM
Who uses both these knots ??, do believe most will prefer the FG knot but for a quicker knot mainly for lures would the GT knot be better ??.
Ive mostly been using the FG Knot but thinking of trialing the GT for awhile ??.

Out-Station
07-01-2020, 08:41 PM
Hey Volvo, I thought they were the same thing until I googled them and I see there are few videos that tie a GT that involves a figure 8 in the mono and a double in the braid (via a bimini). All news to me, i pretty much use the FG all the time now for braid to mono, thing i like about the FG is that its essentially a splice, not a knot. GT (the ones i saw on the net anyway) seem to be more of knot to me. I'm an FG fan, knot that I've used the GT...

Volvo
08-01-2020, 08:30 AM
Hey Volvo, I thought they were the same thing until I googled them and I see there are few videos that tie a GT that involves a figure 8 in the mono and a double in the braid (via a bimini). All news to me, i pretty much use the FG all the time now for braid to mono, thing i like about the FG is that its essentially a splice, not a knot. GT (the ones i saw on the net anyway) seem to be more of knot to me. I'm an FG fan, knot that I've used the GT...

Yes mate they arent the same ,and reason for the ask was that i find one is faster than the other to tie especially where you may have one or more on the Boat that you need to re-rig for like Grandchildren etc. Wind knot here n there a breakage etc so went about looking for some other knot that may have been equally strong enough though a tad quicker to tie , hence the GT Knot.
Several ways to tie this knot and play around with it to find which way suits you better .
For thinner line im thinking the GT may be the way to go as it leaves a smaller knot in the joints. Though one need better eyesight to deal with as one gets a wee older lol..

Gon Fishun
08-01-2020, 09:02 AM
Yes mate they arent the same ,and reason for the ask was that i find one is faster than the other to tie especially where you may have one or more on the Boat that you need to re-rig for like Grandchildren etc. Wind knot here n there a breakage etc so went about looking for some other knot that may have been equally strong enough though a tad quicker to tie , hence the GT Knot.
Several ways to tie this knot and play around with it to find which way suits you better .
For thinner line im thinking the GT may be the way to go as it leaves a smaller knot in the joints. Though one need better eyesight to deal with as one gets a wee older lol..

As you said, the older we get, the eyesight, the arthritis etc etc. I have found the albright knot easier and quicker.

Volvo
08-01-2020, 11:04 AM
As you said, the older we get, the eyesight, the arthritis etc etc. I have found the albright knot easier and quicker.

Just started using magnesium Spray , by Amazing Oils magnesium Pro for ye ole Arthur Ritis , doesnt fix the problem but takes the edge off it a tad till i have something done further re the back.
Albright for Braid to mono ??, will have to suss that one out re knot size for chucking lures ..

Volvo
08-01-2020, 01:13 PM
Just had a playaround witht he Albright , braid to mono . Mono i used was from a spool of normal mono 14lb against 10lb braid . First two tries i had slippage when trying to tighten both lines till it slipped right through and then watched the Vid again and went back and did eighteen turns and made sure the braid ended up comming out inline with where it went through the loop first created and did not get any slippage whatsoever .
Yes nice quick (Quicker knot as you mentioned) but a tad longer in length than the GT and you must cut the mono right up close to prevent the tag from hitting against the guides though with such small diameter line doubt it would cause much angst??..
Also made some line/braid tensioners with some alloy tubing (100 x 10 mm) wrapped with tape save cutting through these old weary hands lol.
Quite cheap to do as coupla feet of tubing at the Big Green shed cost under $4.00 and tape we all have some laying about..

scottar
08-01-2020, 01:51 PM
GT is not disimilar to a slim beauty which is what I use for light work. Once we are talikng 30lb I revert to the FG

Volvo
08-01-2020, 04:14 PM
GT is not disimilar to a slim beauty which is what I use for light work. Once we are talikng 30lb I revert to the FG

My thoughts also ..

Moonlighter
08-01-2020, 08:21 PM
If you tie the FG knot as per the first video below, and practice a few times, its a piece of cake, I can tie it even in strong winds (in heavier line classes at least).

I have even tied it more quickly using this method than someone using the special tool.

I used to tie a GT knot the other way - ie wrapping the braid around the mono vs the other way around.

IMO they are the same knot, sometimes tied with minor variations, and tied different ways, is all.

FG knot, tied as I now tie it, mono wrapped around braid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oohOoOOmbNk

GT knot method how I used to tie, as per Matthew Carter, braid wrapped around mono.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R3_znSAPz8

I actually use Matthews method for pulling the knot up tight halfway through, and his simpler half hitch process for finishing it off, with a dab of super glue gel to stop any chance of it coming undone.

Have never had a knot fail or come undone. Nor had the line break at the knot. As soon as you tie the knot and give it the “death grip” if it doesnt come undone then, its never coming undone.

Sheik
09-01-2020, 05:43 AM
Because I bait fish a lot for jack and fingermark, and break offs are part of life, I use the improved albright. I can tie one in around twenty seconds, which saves me a lot of time. Also, while the FG is great for chucking lures, it is such a small diameter knot that sinkers run right up the line over the knot when casting, hten don't want to go back down.

Volvo
09-01-2020, 09:10 AM
Because I bait fish a lot for jack and fingermark, and break offs are part of life, I use the improved albright. I can tie one in around twenty seconds, which saves me a lot of time. Also, while the FG is great for chucking lures, it is such a small diameter knot that sinkers run right up the line over the knot when casting, hten don't want to go back down.

Although the FG being my fav knot i have simmillar probs with you regarding sinker issues , what i was after was a good knot which can be tied much quicker when re-rigging often.
Will be settling down with the GT and Albright from the looks of things , GT regarding light line i have problems with the figure eight and have sussed out how to thread the braid before the figure eight gets too small..
Eyesight and trembling hands does this lol..

TheGurn
09-01-2020, 10:33 AM
As someone else said... I use the albright, and because I cut the tags as short as possible, I also use a tiny smear of superglue to be sure there's no slipping. Just make sure the tag end goes back thru the loop the way it went in or it will unravel first few casts. No issues with tiny guides rattling when casting softies, or failures using 10lb braid and 14lb flouro leader.
Quick & easy in the wind and with failing eyesight.
Even my useless blind fat-fingered bro-in-law can tie it properly.... sometimes.
For lighter lines you can 'double' the braid for more security.

Cheers
Gurn.

Sheik
09-01-2020, 05:02 PM
As someone else said... I use the albright, and because I cut the tags as short as possible, I also use a tiny smear of superglue to be sure there's no slipping. Just make sure the tag end goes back thru the loop the way it went in or it will unravel first few casts. No issues with tiny guides rattling when casting softies, or failures using 10lb braid and 14lb flouro leader.
Even my useless blind fat-fingered bro-in-law can tie it properly.... sometimes.

Cheers
Gurn.
Exactly Gurn, gotta make sure you put it back through the way it went through, and it very rarely gives up.

Ronje1
13-05-2020, 10:17 AM
You guys interested in trying a new knot?

Small so goes through guides easily. I use 50 - 60 lb leader (sometimes 80) and 30 lb braid. Have never had the knot let go or break. Braid yes but never at the knot.

Knot gets smaller with thinner leaders.

NAGG
13-05-2020, 10:42 AM

Except for the clunky knot that needs to be tied ….

NAGG
13-05-2020, 10:54 AM

Cheers
Gurn.

Seen too many fly offs with an Albright - including my own. I went to Rod Harrisons improved version which I used for years .

The trouble with Albrights is that the tag end hits the guides on the retrieve and can open slightly …… this sometimes catches loops of braid during a cast causing a type of wind knot (particularly on spin)….. bloody horrible . Yep I used superglue but a big improvement comes from using a UV curable product like Loon UV knot sense or Solarez as they are flexible .
Regardless - learning to tie a FG is a quantum leap forward ….. & I still use the UV curable resin to make it better

Chris

Funchy
13-05-2020, 01:05 PM
I only use FG knot for braid to leader no matter the line size.

chris69
13-05-2020, 08:52 PM
Ive just done the uni knot for all my leader connections never had a problem but , im not sure id do the uni knot on 60 to 80 lb leader thought.