PDA

View Full Version : Yamba / Iluka Inshore Fishing

The Complete Angler
18-12-2019, 08:23 AM
Hi All

I'm heading to Iluka for a week for the first time in late February 2020 and was wondering who may be able to provide some guidance as to where to head to catch some decent fish on the inshore reefs around the area.
I'm coming down from Brisbane and have a 4.1m tinny with 30hp on it so can't go out miles and miles but if it's good weather I should be ok to move a fair way out. What can i expect to catch at that time of year?

I was planning on always launching from the Woody Head boat ramp instead of going through the Yamba bar as it'll be much safer from Woody I would've thought. I have also seen a few wrecks out a short distance but of course I have no idea about the area and how good they fish.

I'm not asking for marks (unless you're willing to DM me) as such but just some general knowledge. I have looked on Navionics quite extensively but local knowledge is far better. I would like to try fresh caught bait too so if you could at least share some marks on where to catch Slimey then i'd appreciate that. Also will be trying some general trolling of lures too.

Thanks again

NAGG
18-12-2019, 11:39 AM
Hi All

I'm heading to Iluka for a week for the first time in late February 2020 and was wondering who may be able to provide some guidance as to where to head to catch some decent fish on the inshore reefs around the area.
I'm coming down from Brisbane and have a 4.1m tinny with 30hp on it so can't go out miles and miles but if it's good weather I should be ok to move a fair way out. What can i expect to catch at that time of year?

I was planning on always launching from the Woody Head boat ramp instead of going through the Yamba bar as it'll be much safer from Woody I would've thought. I have also seen a few wrecks out a short distance but of course I have no idea about the area and how good they fish.

I'm not asking for marks (unless you're willing to DM me) as such but just some general knowledge. I have looked on Navionics quite extensively but local knowledge is far better. I would like to try fresh caught bait too so if you could at least share some marks on where to catch Slimey then i'd appreciate that. Also will be trying some general trolling of lures too.

Thanks again

I cant help you on Woody Hd itself …… but if a 12-15km run North doesn't bother you , then there is some great fishing to be had on the close in reefs in the military exercise area . Just as long as there are no planned exercises you can fish in there - Places like South Evans reef. You should be able to find good snapper , kings , jew , pearlies , cobes ….. & at that time of year even a small black marlin .
Favourite technique is to find the bait - spot lock or anchor ……. fish lightly weighted pilly halves down a cube trail .

This really is a great part of the world .

If you can get an early start - pre dawn …. you can get a good morning session in & come back with the typical Noreaster that you get at this time of year .

Chris

banshee
18-12-2019, 09:08 PM
I've only been off Woody once and things may have changed as it was a long time ago (25 years).When I went there was no ramp as such,more of a concrete ramp down onto the wet sand where you launched into a sheltered bay.We needed two people,one to get the car off the sand and one to hold the boat facing out.We used a two wheel drive ute with no problems at the bottom of the tide.The most important part of the exercise is to make sure you follow the leads in and out precisely,we tickled the reef on the way in with the outboard.Mostly people that launch off Woody don't venture to far away,there is good reef right out the front of the headland that produces fish,the bay is a hot spot for spotties and the odd barr mackerel though you might be a little early for them.Next lot of reef to the north will be at Black Rocks,don't know how far it is but you can find it by motoring north until you see the black coffee rock on the beach there should be a fair bit of reef straight out from there but I don't know how far out as I've never motored that far down from Evans.If you decide to go north make sure you know where the boundaries are for the bombing range,I personally never go in there,I'm not sure of the legalities of fishing in there but I used to know the head honcho through work and it is frowned upon,it costs many thousands of dollars a minute to circle these things out to sea and back and after a few passes they abort the mission and go looking for the those responsible.You can be many miles outside the range and be treated to quite spectacular aerial displays that will leave the nostrils filled with the fumes of burnt kero.There are quite a few good snapper landed of the headland on a regular basis so there's no need to head for international waters.

NAGG
19-12-2019, 06:38 AM
I've only been off Woody once and things may have changed as it was a long time ago (25 years).When I went there was no ramp as such,more of a concrete ramp down onto the wet sand where you launched into a sheltered bay.We needed two people,one to get the car off the sand and one to hold the boat facing out.We used a two wheel drive ute with no problems at the bottom of the tide.The most important part of the exercise is to make sure you follow the leads in and out precisely,we tickled the reef on the way in with the outboard.Mostly people that launch off Woody don't venture to far away,there is good reef right out the front of the headland that produces fish,the bay is a hot spot for spotties and the odd barr mackerel though you might be a little early for them.Next lot of reef to the north will be at Black Rocks,don't know how far it is but you can find it by motoring north until you see the black coffee rock on the beach there should be a fair bit of reef straight out from there but I don't know how far out as I've never motored that far down from Evans.If you decide to go north make sure you know where the boundaries are for the bombing range,I personally never go in there,I'm not sure of the legalities of fishing in there but I used to know the head honcho through work and it is frowned upon,it costs many thousands of dollars a minute to circle these things out to sea and back and after a few passes they abort the mission and go looking for the those responsible.You can be many miles outside the range and be treated to quite spectacular aerial displays that will leave the nostrils filled with the fumes of burnt kero.There are quite a few good snapper landed of the headland on a regular basis so there's no need to head for international waters.

Just on the bombing range - which is actually on land ……. the marine exclusion zone only operates during exercise periods & usually from 10am-5pm .
Marine rescue broadcast the closures during the regular daily radio reports . They will actually broadcast to leave the exclusion zone prior to the commencement of operations ( I know this from first hand experience last year)

Here is a link which gives you the co ordinates & a bit of info

https://www.defence.gov.au/AircraftNoise/EvansHead/Default.asp (https://www.defence.gov.au/AircraftNoise/EvansHead/Default.asp)

It really is a great area to fish & probably the most consistent area I've fished in NSW. 120523 120524 I love the place & there is a good chance I'm going to make my way up there again during February

Chris

The Complete Angler
19-12-2019, 09:44 AM
Thanks all for the replies. The photos are making me jealous already! Cheers for the link too, I will be sure to check it out.
I believe Woody is now a proper boat ramp, and I actually have a friend who went down there yesterday for three weeks, his son has a large boat so he will be reporting back also. Thanks again!

Rodman
20-12-2019, 06:55 AM
Just spent a week in Yamba the guys at the Yamba Tackle shop gave me some good fishing spots they were mainly near the second boat ramp which u access from turning left at the shell servo and follow the signs