PDA

View Full Version : South Passage Oct 2019

Almako
17-10-2019, 05:52 PM
Hi guys I haven't been out since March / April. Is everyone still using the middle channel? and has it shifted further north?
Hasn't been to much rain so I would doubt its shifted.

seastrength
20-10-2019, 03:37 PM
Hi Almako
I have attached a photo of my most recent track over SPB last month on an early morning flood tide and return on the midday ebb tide. The two red waypoints are my original marks for entry and exit marks for SPB and the crosses indicate the general channel from four years ago. You can see the changes that have occurred to the middle channel over time. I suggest you go out on a low tide to check the GPS coordinates of the sand island and keep to the north at low water, generally with 1.5-2 m under the keel at the lowest depth. Alternatively, leave Manly harbour around 5.00am and follow one of the fishing charter boats as they have current knowledge of bar changes and conditions. I only cross SPB 6-8 times a year in the winter months so my information may not be up to date. Cheers SS. 120297

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91595)

SUPERDAFF
22-10-2019, 12:44 AM
Seastrength that's a pretty accurate assessment by my reckoning. However I still see so many boaties making the mistake of going south of the sand bar (Pirate Island) because it has a welcoming entrance …. but which then pans out to nothing. Just shallow water and a longer time in the 'get hit' zone. SPB is not like a river bar inasmuch as it's not a creek or river exiting into the surf so forget about the impact of rain. It is big winds, seas and currents that shape it. Once you've crossed it a couple of hundred or so times, the risk is in getting a little too confident or cavalier, so always keep your ego in check. Almako, why not do a refresher bar crossing course with Bill Corten - I think I learn something useful every time I talk with him. Regards

Almako
22-10-2019, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the replies gents.
Although a good suggestion I think i'll pass on the refresher, it's only been since April I last went through. It can be a frightening place at times thats for sure, but I try to pick lower swell forecasts to ease the growth of grey hairs and years off my life.
Big rains have definitely affected this crossing, though typically it has been a time of minor or major flooding as well. Sure winds effect it but it's those large tides during storm season that push it around.
I know the island you gents mention and have marks north of it. It's good to know it's roughly in the same spot as back in April.
Lowish tide is definitely a good time to head out to see the white water.
Thanks gents I'll take a look on the next good weather window.
Happy fishing

Lachie1
22-10-2019, 08:11 PM
https://www.coastwatch.com.au/bar-aerials