PDA

View Full Version : DANGER at new Pine River beacon

TheGurn
04-05-2019, 09:19 AM
The second green beacon (or first on a pole if not counting the green bouy marking the rocks) going upstream from Dohles Rocks has been put on a new pole.

The old steel pole has been cut off at the low water mark and is approx 2 meters away ON THE SIDE YOUR MEANT TO NAVIGATE.

Even at slow speeds this little gem would slice a tinnie open like a can opener and rip a large chunk of fibreglass out of a boat. Or destroy your outboard leg.

Stay at least 3 meters away from this beacon.

Cheers

bluefin59
04-05-2019, 12:54 PM
The second green beacon (or first on a pole if not counting the green bouy marking the rocks) going upstream from Dohles Rocks has been put on a new pole.

The old steel pole has been cut off at the low water mark and is approx 2 meters away ON THE SIDE YOUR MEANT TO NAVIGATE.

Even at slow speeds this little gem would slice a tinnie open like a can opener and rip a large chunk of fibreglass out of a boat. Or destroy your outboard leg.

Stay at least 3 meters away from this beacon.

Cheers

Surly not who would be so dum as to leave a hazard in the water intentionally someone from Brisbane waterways needs to be contacted and put a hazard marker on it at least .Matt

TheGurn
04-05-2019, 05:41 PM
Yep. It's just where you would be coming off the plane to negotiate the shoals at low tide a little bit further up. As there's no real channel there, boaties come at it from all angles, but because the area is shallow, some tend to stick close to the beacon thinking it may be deeper.

I watched it slide by just breaking the surface a meter from my boat yesterday at dead low. (The only time you would see it)

I'm gonna pretend it's red and not green from now on.

God help a jet ski hitting it at the speeds they travel at in shallow water.

TheGurn
04-05-2019, 07:18 PM
Safety concern has been lodged with msq.

Cheers

Giveitacrack
05-05-2019, 06:37 AM
Can you move this post (no pun intended) to the boating forum please.I just think it will be viewed more there. Thanks for the heads up and I hope no one gets injured or damage in the meantime.It is hard to believe that some muppet has left it like this

Ah Me Ting
05-05-2019, 07:48 AM
Holy fark!

👍 for the info, for sharing.

Logs and other natural obstructions are one thing, but sheesh, a man made SHARP edge metal obstacle left over from a safety item, is just ridiculous.

Someone needs their arse kicked, but in typical public servant mentality no one will be reprimanded.

I can't help but think a video and some pics might help. Upload to YouTube and share on forums and then the papers and TV channels for the nightly news. Both information for people to avoid injury but also build a wider audience of the issue so those responsible get some heat for their stupidity.