PDA

View Full Version : Springwood Marine Never Again

Mickywilly74
11-04-2019, 05:49 PM
Hi all, This is my first post on here as a paid member and sorry if its more of a rant but the level of incompetence from Springwood marine was so appalling I decided to become a paid member to advise of my experience. I'll try and keep it short as possible. Let me start by saying I am not here to debate who has the better motor and so on, all my problems are human error from Springwood marine and no fault of the motor.

I will also say that I am not a boat mechanic and some of the terms are probably incorrect however here goes.

1. December 2018 purchased a new Quintrex Renegade from Brisbane Quintrex. The original package had a 40hp TS E-tec on the back but I wanted the maximum hp so negotiated a 50hp at same price. I'll start by saying Paul at Brisbane Quintrex was helpful and I had no problems with his service. New package was assembled and off I went in the new tub.
2. Initially it ran like a treat and with the missus and 2 kids on board the hole shot was awesome. Then one night it suddenly starting revving high at idle and because of this would clunk into gear. So back to Brisbane Quintrex.
3. This is where the problems began. Brisbane Quintrex at present do not have E-tec technicians (which is about to change) so all the E-tec work is performed by Springwood marine. I was a bit worried as I had read a terrible review here from years earlier regarding them but that was when they were a sales yard also. They are now just a mechanical service as I understand.
4. Dropped boat at Springwood Marine and day or two later was told is was ready and I could collect. When I spoke to the manager/mechanic and I asked what was wrong he said whatever moron put the tiller steer together did an absolute terrible job, he said all the throttle connectors were on the wrong pins causing stress on the bracket its rubbish and it must have been done by whoever puts the packages together at Brisbane Quintrex. So I was a little pissed.
5. Called Paul at Brisbane Quintrex to relay my dissatisfaction and he told me thats not right as my motor wasn't the original on the boat and was upgraded to the 50hp this was all done by Springwood Marine who do all our E-tec work. So here I was with the Springwood marine manager/mechanic telling me whoever did it was rubbish and it was them all along.
6. When I got home I had a look at the motor, which I should have done when I picked it up, and I noticed the cam shell casing (I think thats the name of the part between the cowling and the lower leg I am referring to) had not been assembled correctly and was not sealing as the inner seal was outside the outer seal of the other side and was bending. Now I live 45min from Springwood marine so I just put it together myself and emailed Brisbane Quintrex and Brisbane Yamaha (which own Brisbane Quintrex).
7. Unfortunately I had surgery within a day or two of boat being returned and I wasn't able to test it until the other day some 7 weeks later. Boat started fine first time and idled perfectly then went to take off and wouldn't get on the plane and only gave me about 1/4 of usual power. Back to Brisbane Quintrex/Yamaha. Turns out the throttle hadn't been assembled correctly by Springwood marine when they supposedly fixed their original stuff up.

Now I will never use these guys again and will drive the extra distance to Downes Marine who I heard nothing but good things about. How can someone be so imcompetent not once but twice.

I will also say Brisbane Yamaha fixed the problem and couldn't have been better. I have to add in the short time I had the E-tec when it worked I couldn't have been happier on fuel and performance. I can't say anything negative about it as the faults have been human errors.

Anyway I just wanted to inform people of my experience.

ozscott
11-04-2019, 06:12 PM
Downs knows his stuff mate.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Noelm
11-04-2019, 06:22 PM
Don't know any of those dealers, but it can get messy when different places are involved, it's easy to just point the finger elsewhere, let's hope it's all sorted now.

catshark
11-04-2019, 07:55 PM
unfortunate but you had a win in the end, messy when you have to problem solve incompentent work, however it could be a number of things as well , maybe the apprentice did the job, the managers are lying who knows but you paid good coin, so you must be rewarded with good work. you waste time having to haul the boat back and forth because of a lack of detail or knowledge ...glad to hear you upgraded to max HP. not many people think of this.

shortthenlong
11-04-2019, 08:17 PM
Downs knows his stuff mate.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This x two

Cheers Matt

Mickywilly74
11-04-2019, 08:49 PM
Mate it could have been an apprentice but anyone who really cares would check an apprentices work before it went out. I understand what you are saying but all of the errors were simple construction issues but anyway i'll move on, I've had my rant.

Yeah mate I always believe in going max HP. Most dealers will put smaller engines on as it makes the boats cheaper and more appealing to more buyers but I bet most regret buying the smaller models once they put people and gear in. I am yet to hear anyone say "I wish I had of gone the smaller model".

scottar
11-04-2019, 09:00 PM
Another big wrap for Alan Downes. A neighbour had an experience with springwood that would lead me to question the E-Tec knowledge of their techs.

stevej
11-04-2019, 10:15 PM
rare to find a good dealer ,no one has to be qualified in anything to sell them.
having bought 6 new boats i wouldnt say any of the purchases have been pleasant

brisbane yamaha obviously went etec when yamaha announced they were stopping their 2 strokes.
but if they took the dollars for the sale they should be taking it to whoever to fix the thing not you

scottar
11-04-2019, 10:41 PM
I suspect it was more to do with their southside operation selling a Telwater brand of boat Steve. Telwater are the national BRP E Tec distributor now. At a guess there would be better discounts on the boats if fitted with their engine. Certainly wouldn't hurt to be able to offer an engine alternative. I do agree they should have been more involved in sorting things out by the sounds of things.

stevej
11-04-2019, 10:52 PM
Didn’t know that and tbh I don’t actively care about etecs

Local quintrex dealer is all Yamaha still

gunna
12-04-2019, 06:35 AM
Only used Springwood once and they stuffed the job. Once bitten twice shy.

Ducksnutz
12-04-2019, 06:36 AM
Definitely worth the extra drive to Downes. Wouldn’t trust mine with anyone else.

Steve villani
12-04-2019, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the heads up about springwood marine, I was going to take mine there as it's the closest etec service place too me.
I'll have to look for another one now.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

scottar
12-04-2019, 07:41 AM
Next closest is probably Redland Bay Steve. I haven't used them personally but a mate has without issue. Downe's marine has always done mine without issue. Usually a bit of a wait to get in.

Cape Crusader
12-04-2019, 08:40 AM
Hopefully all good now Micky, you expect a lot better than that when buying new. Sounds like they took a short cut when upgrading the motor rather than upgrading everything? This seems a bit dodgy on a new setup to me?
It's very hard to get good work done unfortunately, I've got a list of horrible events, including one in queensland when my wife and I went up there to buy our kevlacat. Over my life I've done the majority of 'stuff' myself but it's getting difficult now. Paid a guy to do some painting for me with the potential for him to do more after, worst painting ever, my wife ended up doing the bulk of the rest (bigger) part of the job. That was after a previous painter never came back to finish other work when I paid him all up to finish. My fault I guess.
Anyway, when you find someone good, hang on to them.
Hopefully you can post something about something a little more enjoyable :-)
Cheers
Rod