PDA

View Full Version : Bow electric on Offshore Boat

TREVELLY
08-04-2019, 02:22 PM
I took the plunge and bought an 80lb 72" MotorGuide electric motor today to mount to the bow of 6m aluminium plate centre cab boat for offshore fishing.
I looked through a few threads online here and opted for MotorGuide to link to my Lowrance HDS12 Gen2 for spot locking on marks.
I have seen from other threads and see tips include:-
locate as close to centre as possible
ensure it can be stowed not in the way or risk damage from mooring etc.
locate opposite side to drive side hence LHS

Do people have pics of their set-ups and any benefits to them they have found?

I did purchase link for sounder from US as here $375 and there $225 (saving $150) https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/253095910310

Here is a set-up I stole earlier by QME - thanks DickTracy

Red October
08-04-2019, 03:06 PM
118995Trev,

I too took the plunge a few months ago and settled for the Motorguide 72" 106lb thrust. I mounted it back a bit from the bow as I have a walk around and my experience with these things on other boats is that you want the maximum amount of shaft in the water when the swell is running. You also want to move it away from the anchor and winch as it may interfere with the built in GPS/compass. I have no problems with the operation of the unit and it has certainly eliminated use of the anchor winch which i find a PITA. Regards Shane

TREVELLY
08-04-2019, 03:40 PM
118995Trev,

I too took the plunge a few months ago and settled for the Motorguide 72" 106lb thrust. I mounted it back a bit from the bow as I have a walk around and my experience with these things on other boats is that you want the maximum amount of shaft in the water when the swell is running. You also want to move it away from the anchor and winch as it may interfere with the built in GPS/compass. I have no problems with the operation of the unit and it has certainly eliminated use of the anchor winch which i find a PITA. Regards Shane

Thanks Shane - handy to know - can't see the attachment you posted though - is that a pic of your set-up?
You typically need to go into manage attachments and upload file then online OK :-)

baitable
09-04-2019, 01:10 PM
Have you taken into consideration the extra weight of batteries needed to run the electric? I did my own research on an electric to anchor a 7m cat and i would need 3 no. 12v lithium batteries to be able to spot lock my boat. Cost vs benefit wasnt quite worth it for me nor an added 90kgs (3 full river batteries) if i went to an AGM setup

NAGG
09-04-2019, 07:14 PM
Have you taken into consideration the extra weight of batteries needed to run the electric? I did my own research on an electric to anchor a 7m cat and i would need 3 no. 12v lithium batteries to be able to spot lock my boat. Cost vs benefit wasnt quite worth it for me nor an added 90kgs (3 full river batteries) if i went to an AGM setup

Lithium is the way to go … if you can afford it

not only … half the weight - but you have an effective 90% DOD ……. so nearly doubling the capacity which can mean a world when spotlocking in less than ideal conditions .

Chris

NAGG
09-04-2019, 07:18 PM
I took the plunge and bought an 80lb 72" MotorGuide electric motor today to mount to the bow of 6m aluminium plate centre cab boat for offshore fishing.
I looked through a few threads online here and opted for MotorGuide to link to my Lowrance HDS12 Gen2 for spot locking on marks.
I have seen from other threads and see tips include:-
locate as close to centre as possible
ensure it can be stowed not in the way or risk damage from mooring etc.
locate opposite side to drive side hence LHS

Do people have pics of their set-ups and any benefits to them they have found?

I did purchase link for sounder from US as here $375 and there $225 (saving $150) https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/253095910310

Here is a set-up I stole earlier by QME - thanks DickTracy

congrats on taking the plunge …… welcome to a whole new world - it is an absolute revelation spotlocking rather than anchoring ….. the ability to adjust in any direction & in most conditions will have you improving your catch rates.

Chris

TREVELLY
09-04-2019, 08:57 PM

I can understand a 7m cat being bothered by 90kg but to be honest my 6.25m deep V mono goes better with more weight - not having a go but I get a softer ride and no issues at all with a bit more weight. and extra 90kgs is of no concern when I am on top of marks (pinnacles and wrecks) rather than 150m away and having to motor back numerous times not to mention wind up and drop in barren locations.
The remote giving the ability to tweak the location - well I see it as a game changer on the reef and for deep drop I am looking forward to benefits there too.

OcciferNick
21-06-2019, 06:35 PM
Trev,

Did you purchase the full kit including the 3 batteries and then have it professionally installed?
Im keen to know how much it was all up and how have you found the system. I would love to get one for mine and I will. I just wondered what you are up for so I can save my pennies.

Was the 80lb enough or would you have purchased the 112lb if you have your time over again?

pegasus
22-06-2019, 06:29 AM
Interesting thread. Thank you for the info guys. I was looking arond in this with view to an bay/offshore rig next year with bow mount electric. Attracted to the many pluses that technology offers. Considering a Formosa C/cab 550/580 or Haines Sig 525F . Not sure whether going alloy or glass The HS dealer quoted me $8 K to supply, fit and mods to boat- 80 lb 24 v system- ( non lithium batteries). They supplied both Minn Kota and Motor Guide- advised same price regardless of brand - could not really get my head around that considering there is a considerable difference in price between brands. HS can supply fit an adaption plate unit that sits over the bow spirit unit. Once again thank you for the info.

Best regards,
Lew

TREVELLY
22-06-2019, 06:56 PM
Okay - I have done a few of trips with the unit and it holds the boat within 2m in conditions <15knots and modest current
With a bit more current and conditions >25knots and seas 2.3-3m with a 1.5m chop on top ie Saturday 2 weeks ago when that boat sank of Caloundra I was in that with this motor holding the boat within 5m of locked location
Answers to your questions are here - I did the installation as per this post :-
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php/208126-80lb-72-quot-motor-Guide-on-boat-today

OcciferNick
22-06-2019, 07:16 PM
Thanks mate.
‘I can’t wait to get one. I’m sick of throwing the anchor only to find I’m off by enough that the fish won’t bite and pulling up the anchor to redeploy and repeat lol

TREVELLY
22-06-2019, 08:45 PM
Thanks mate.
‘I can’t wait to get one. I’m sick of throwing the anchor only to find I’m off by enough that the fish won’t bite and pulling up the anchor to redeploy and repeat lol

I will show you soon enough Nick

Last trip I took a mate out and he was super keen to get one for his boat - can't seem to get it past the home treasurer though :-)