PDA

View Full Version : Historical weather

gladyreefer
05-03-2019, 06:08 PM
Hi all, can anyone tell me a site that gives historical wave and wind readings???

Cheers

Noelm
05-03-2019, 06:36 PM
I reckon if you contact your state BOM they would be able to put you on the right track.

Funchy
05-03-2019, 07:19 PM
Hi all, can anyone tell me a site that gives historical wave and wind readings???

Cheers

Ill post a link in the morning when I’m at my computer mate (on iPad now and CBF)

Funchy
06-03-2019, 06:53 AM
Here is a website for historical wind (and other data). Depending on what weather station you choose, will determine the data you get.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/data/index.shtml?bookmark=200

From here you can drill into historical average wind speeds and rainfall

For historical wave info I can see Bouyweather has some data however you may need to sign up / pay for access to it

Sing out if you need a hand drilling down into the BOM info

Out-Station
06-03-2019, 07:50 PM
Funchy, bom observations data is the simplest data set for wind but no swell to my knowledge. B/W gives me some historics as part of my subscription but i've never really looked to deep to know how much for how long.

What, you lost faith in the forecasters and going it alone?

NAGG
07-03-2019, 07:52 AM
I always found it facinating that people use past data - particularly planning a trip ........ sure you can get a ballpark idea that X month will be less windy than Y month . A mate would swear blind that changing his annual Bermagui trip from the mothers day weekend to the following has been a disaster ( weatherwise)

I must be unlucky because quite a few trips have been a write off when looking at historical records & the opposite has occurred …… Cyclones early or late - high rainfall during what should have been dry …… strong winds any month. - time & time again. This is particularly true for northern Qld .

Chris

Noelm
07-03-2019, 08:06 AM
Funny thing, we used to go to Narooma at Easter, and I reckon it would be very rare to have a weekend with low swell, every year was big seas and quite often a boat flipped over on the bar.

scottar
07-03-2019, 09:53 AM
Need a weather stone

Dignity
07-03-2019, 03:23 PM
Funny thing, we used to go to Narooma at Easter, and I reckon it would be very rare to have a weekend with low swell, every year was big seas and quite often a boat flipped over on the bar.

Sounds normal, Easter is always set around a Full Moon and rarely do we have good fishing offshore weather at that time.

Rider: this is on the Julian Calendar (except when the 2 calendars coincide) but if you follow the Gregorian Calendar for Easter most times you will get good weather.

gladyreefer
07-03-2019, 06:51 PM
Cheers to all for the comments. More looking to get an idea of a new area than scared of going with my own predictions. going anyway , just curious as to the past data for the time of year. My wife says i do too much research..................

Cheers again