Noelm
05-03-2019, 04:03 PM
Why do you need a block of anything?

blacklab
05-03-2019, 04:21 PM
personal info deleted

Noelm
05-03-2019, 04:31 PM
Nah, just get some counter sunk philips head bolts and those stainless cup washers and it will look all nice and neat from the motor well side.

blacklab
05-03-2019, 05:06 PM
personal photo deleted

blacklab
06-03-2019, 04:50 PM
photo deleted

Dignity
07-03-2019, 03:42 PM
Another question,
I saw somewhere here a while back on the topic of running portable back up tanks and the methods for easy swapping to from the main tank.
Unfortunately, they fitted a smaller tank than I asked for, floor was glassed in when he told me, was right annoyed, but can still get by with a 120 litre tank, but will have to carry a reserve portable for safety reasons. The talk came from someone who liked having the hoses Pre set up, with just a case of hooking up to the portable and using a shut off valve. Now I have two in and two out in my new water/fuel filter, but on my reconing, I would need to have a shut off valve from the main tank, on the inlet port, and one on the second inlet port as well, for the spare tank ?. Otherwise the motor would be sucking air as well with an empty main tank, when running on the portable ?.
I liked the idea of having the spare portable tank hose Pre set up, and tucked away ready to go, running it through the existing fuel/water filter set up, with the ease of just plugging in and off you go. So effectively, the remaining exit port would remain plugged.
Am I right in saying two shut off valves are needed.

Col
Col,
looking at your filter it has only one inlet and outlet port, these days most have 2. Also you might like to upgrade to one with a glass bowl so you can keep an eye out for water in your fuel. With only one inlet you would screw a hose connector into it and your main fuel line would have the counterpart connector, sort of like having a portable tank, talking of which a few people are running with fuel bladders. In your instance you would connect to the bladder initially and when that runs dry (they flatten out as they don't have breathers) you disconnect it and connect to the main tank and roll up the bladder and put it away. with 2 inlets you connect a hose to one of them with a connector to your fuel bladder or portable tank and have an on/off valve in the mainline otherwise you will be syphoning from both tanks at the same time. The bladders are useful for when you are doing long first legs on a trip as then when empty they are out of the way, just disconnect the hose and switch on your main tank.

Cheers
Sam

blacklab
07-03-2019, 05:02 PM
personal detail deleted

Dignity
07-03-2019, 08:13 PM
Hi Dignity, The old one I was holding there , does have twin ports, but I have bought a new one, on its way, with twin ports, 2 in 2 out as well. I found
A supplier that has the 3/8" thread with 10mm hose attachment with the shut off valve, so I have ordered 2 of them.
One on the main under floor tanks fuel line, on one inlet port on the filter, and another on the other inlet port of the filter for the reserve tank, I just couldn't get it around my head on how to set it up. So effectively, I want to leave the reserve portable tanks fuel line, coiled up and connected to the fuel filter, with the valve shut, the tank will be stored up front, so when or if it's needed, I just take the portable down the back, shut off the main, open the reserve valve, connect to the portable and away I go. I actually read it here, but I couldn't find the thread, that someone suggested leaving the portables fuel line connected and coiled up, rather that on the portable tank, I like that idea.
The bladder system you talked about sounds like a great set up for long hauls, I don't think I would need to go that far, a 25 litre portable and a new four stroke on the back should have me well within my limits of range and reserve left with the distance I will be covering.
I'll post up a shot of my set up when it's installed.....

Col

Col. I leave the fuel line to the fuel bladder connected and coiled under the transom. There is no need for a separate switch for this line only on the main line as your connector hose won't suck air when not connected. Do go and get tight fitting caps for the connector line and fuel bladder or portable tote tank, surprising how short s time it takes for salt water to clog these up.

blacklab
07-03-2019, 09:17 PM
photo's deleted