PDA

View Full Version : Honda

blacklab
05-03-2019, 03:37 PM
deleted info

Noelm
05-03-2019, 04:01 PM
Should have no trouble selling it at the right price, are you saying the dealer talked him into buying the motor? what HP is the boat rated for? the Honda 135 is not exactly light, but it's not much more than comparable HP in other brands, jacking plates and the like require a different shaft length.

blacklab
05-03-2019, 04:17 PM
deleted info

gazza2006au
05-03-2019, 06:32 PM
How much cooperation were the dealer giving on a trade in it may have been significant enough to counter selling it on his own for $14,000 but than again dealers are ruthless when it comes to two things buying and reselling they kick u in the balls and walk away laughing when they are buying and when they sell they are bending the new guy over pulling a huge fist full of cash out his ass

typically 30 year old boat has a transom built for that era probably a 4 cylinder 2 stroke that weighed around 140kg these days as of this year u can only buy a 4 stroke so you either need to downgrade horse power or rebuild the boat to suit the extra weight

we haven't yet heard what type of boat it is Col but i would say anything under 5.2m glass a 135hp Honda would sink the ass end even if u build up the transom that only raises the engine vertically as does the transom height but that doesn't factor in the extra 50kg or so and your not adding more flotation to the ass end so the only thing the boat can do is sink

i think your mate really should have taking the boat back while the engine was being tested for a suitable propeller before handing it over to the customer rather than waiting six months that kind of like going into foot locker buying a pair of shoes wearing them for six months and decide they don't fit so u want the shop to take them back

sadly this is Australia, i see in America u can buy something brand new use it for 12 months and take it back for a full refund crazy stuff but stuff like this would put businesses out of work

blacklab
05-03-2019, 07:27 PM
info details deleted

robothefisho
05-03-2019, 09:14 PM
Could pod (hull extension) the boat instead of just doing the transom. That way transom is fixed, boat suits motor, and boat performs better.

Looking at it a different way, if the dealer recommended a 100hp because it was lighter (but floated ok) and then the owner thought it was to slow would you expect a refund, or a free larger Hp motor? I can't see how this is a dealer problem, how would they know how a 40 year old boat handles.

gazza2006au
05-03-2019, 09:45 PM
It's a tough one Col if the boat had a ID tag saying it was rated for that horse power than the shop is all within there rights to sell that engine to the buyer but it doesn't do the business one bit of worthyness selling a engine to heavy for that boat, there is one on google running a 48hp Evinrude now the shop has put over a 100hp on there that's crazy

If there was no ID tag on the boat than the shop would have to use the special formula to calculate the rated hp rating based on hull length times its width and minor other factors

i think if the problem was addressed early the shop may have changed the engine but at this point its six months down the track i wouldn't be giving that shop another penny

could old mate possibly have a leaking boat? i ask this because my 4.5m runabout has a leaky bung i only just noticed and with 1 adult down the back i havewater coming over my transom my transom sits about 70mm above the water because my bilge area is filling with water i haven't noticed it because my boat has a full sealed floor no access to the bilge area causing it to fill with water and sit low

ranmar850
05-03-2019, 09:50 PM
Careless of the dealers, they should have looked at it first. As to the transom cracking, it probably just bought a developing problem forward. The external glass wont crack if the timber under it is good. I cant really see that he really has a leg to stand on, really, without taking a big financial risk.
And no upside to trading down with Honda, either. So a trade with Suzuki for a 140? 115/140 Suzuki are the same weight. Either way, sounds like he's up for a transom repair.

blacklab
06-03-2019, 07:00 AM
deleted photo

Lovey80
06-03-2019, 09:16 AM
Name and shame the dealer.

GBC
06-03-2019, 09:29 AM
I saw that motor advertised yesterday. Can he not get a couple of ally sponsons made up for the stern to float the motor? More money but cheaper than a changeout.

Lovey80
06-03-2019, 11:12 AM
I saw that motor advertised yesterday. Can he not get a couple of ally sponsons made up for the stern to float the motor? More money but cheaper than a changeout.

That’s what I was thinking. If he’s having to rebuild his transom anyway, he’s probably better off adding 500mm to the back of the boat so it floats the heavy Honda. Probably cost the same as the change over price on a new engine if not much less.

blacklab
06-03-2019, 02:18 PM
deleted content

blacklab
06-03-2019, 02:32 PM
deleted info

ranmar850
06-03-2019, 03:22 PM
The pod would need to be the full flotation type, or you are making things worse by leveraging all that weight further out. And, if there is transom damage, would you fix a pod to it without repair first? And, once you start playing with pods, not all boats like them. Some love them. Or you could end up with a worthless mongrel.

gazza2006au
06-03-2019, 05:23 PM
Col seriously tell old mate to look into something smaller than the Honda 115 is the same 220kg as the 135 he would just be sailing down the same road mate, tell your friend to look at the Honda 80hp 165kg much much lighter and its only 15kg heaver than what the boat was originally designed for 90hp 2 stroke+ 4 cylinder at 140kg

if that Hunts Marine picture is anything to go by they are fanging it around with a 48hp a 80hp will do wonders... a 135hp will kill it

blacklab
06-03-2019, 05:35 PM
photo deletd

gazza2006au
06-03-2019, 06:52 PM
My Mercury 90hp is same as 115hp it weighs 184kg Col still getting up there maybe tell your mate to take her down the river with 170kg worth of sand bags $50 in sand is worth it than spending another $15,000 on a mistake

blacklab
06-03-2019, 07:10 PM
deleted content

GBC
07-03-2019, 08:34 AM
If you need 50 k.g. of buoyancy (from your figures above), you basically need to shove about an empty jerry can (25 litres each) under the water on either side of the motor - or pod it. Sponsons are easy enough and just bolt onto the transom. That is very rough calcs so if you are a naval architect please don't take me to task over it....
Boat mobs in the states sell bolt on sponsons everywhere. They are great for stability and fat blokes in the backs of tinnys. Over here, you'd be talking to your local aluminium bloke and turn them into something that looks a bit like a duck board either side but probably doesn't affect the running surface of the boat or the turning radius of the engine. That is unless he wants to build a full pod or extension which will cost a lot more which doesn't sound like his go at the moment. We have a Honda 80 on a 4.8 polycraft. They are an amazing motor, but it would make for fairly uninspiring offshore motoring on the cruisecraft.

Lovey80
08-03-2019, 12:25 AM
4 grand for a new transom? Surely extending the hull 500m and building a new transom could be done for 4K?

blacklab
08-03-2019, 01:58 PM
deleted content