PDA

View Full Version : I have heard a rumor that Stessco side console alloy boats can't be taken offshore.

paininarse
22-02-2019, 01:38 PM
I have heard a rumor that Stesco side console alloy boats with pods can't be taken offshore as their design will not allow it. If you take the boat offshore you will void your warranty.

Would any Stessco owners or people considering buying a Stessco side console boat with a pod like to comment or add to this thread?

Please share your thoughts.

Noelm
22-02-2019, 01:44 PM
I kind of doubt it, they make all sorts of models, putting a side console in one doesn't make it unsafe, do you know if it's one specific model? and where did you "hear" this?

stevej
22-02-2019, 01:48 PM
http://www.stessco.com.au/images/169095_MML_Warranty_Book_A5.pdf

says nothing there

gazza2006au
22-02-2019, 02:19 PM
I reckon its lost in translation one guy has told another guy his boat doesn't handle well off shore and he doesn't want a warranty claim, translate that thru a 3rd party and as you mentioned lol too easy to miss communicate

there was a bloke on youtube who took out a 9 foot punt off Sydne Heads up and down the coastal line

paininarse
22-02-2019, 03:07 PM
Let me add a bit more info, I have to be careful with what I say. This came from Stessco themselves. It is not just side consoles or pods but most of their alloy boats in the medium size range that can take say a 40-75 hp outboard.

Take my word if you own one be worried.

gazza2006au nothing is lost in translation whatsoever.

paininarse
22-02-2019, 03:16 PM
This is not so under Australian consumer law.

You can pick their warranty pdf to bits. give it a good read, it is full of get out of warranty claims, which most is against AU consumer law

2. The warranty is only applicable if the Stessco New Product Warranty Registration Coupon is completed in full and returned to us within fourteen (14) days from date of sale.

Moonlighter
22-02-2019, 03:25 PM
Some years ago a major alloy boat manufacturer released several new models and not long after, hull failures started to be reported. Lots of rumours were buzzing around..... like clouds of wasps!!

It seems that some people, seeing the fishing potential of those new models, were taking them out into open ocean and big bay waters where, according to the manufacturer, they were not intended to be used.

Next thing there were then warnings issued by the manufacturer that if those models were used in such waters, related hull failures would NOT be warranted.

Although how the hell they would know where the boats were used let alone how aggressively they were driven is beyond me ....

I think the hull designs of those boats possibly may have been subsequently beefed up substantially and the issue seemed to fade away...

Maybe this is the same kind of scenario??

And despite what some people might say, using a product in a way that it is clearly not intended to be used, especially if explicitly warned by the manufacturer BEFORE PURCHASE, is indeed a legitimate reason for warranty to be denied IF THE FAILURE CAN BE DEFINITIVELY SHOWN to be due to the unintended use. The onus would be on the manufacturer to prove this, not the owner to disprove.

Eg imagine taking a Commodore offroad and bushbashing it, and as a result breaking the suspension. Warranty wont apply.

It would however seem problematic for a boat to be stated to be not suitable for offshore waters but OK for rivers and bays - bay waters on a rough day could easily put as much strain on a hull as offshore on a good day.

And, one would think that a boat designed to take rough bay conditions should be able to easily take offshore conditions on a good day?

Triple
22-02-2019, 03:27 PM
Define "offshore"?
So can't be taken "offshore" on a 5 knot .5m swell day but can be taken in the bay on days like today hahaha you've been told a load of bs.

paininarse
22-02-2019, 03:39 PM
Define "offshore"?
So can't be taken "offshore" on a 5 knot .5m swell day but can be taken in the bay on days like today hahaha you've been told a load of bs.

Sorry, but you are wrong Triple.

Moonlighter is almost on the money. The post from moonlighter has raised it's ugly head again, I am sorry to say.

Shark Poker
22-02-2019, 04:41 PM
Let me add a bit more info, I have to be careful with what I say. This came from Stessco themselves.

Well then its not a rumour is it??

paininarse
22-02-2019, 06:06 PM
Well then its not a rumour is it??

Do you have any more info to add?

Shark Poker
22-02-2019, 06:30 PM
Oh Yes, but that doesn't mean I am likely to.
What I will say on a public forum to an unknown individual is as obvious as this:
If somebody from Stessco told you that, its not rumour. Its your understanding of what you were told.
I suggest you take that persons' comment at face value.
(IMO), They wish to warn a potential buyer, who they do not know, not to bash it around offshore and assume it cant ever be bent or broken. And that it is NOT totally covered by warranty if anything ever breaks or fails.
That's all. No big deal.

paininarse
22-02-2019, 06:48 PM
Oh Yes, but that doesn't mean I am likely to.
What I will say on a public forum to an unknown individual is as obvious as this:
If somebody from Stessco told you that, its not rumour. Its your understanding of what you were told.
I suggest you take that persons' comment at face value.
(IMO), They wish to warn a potential buyer, who they do not know, not to bash it around offshore and assume it cant ever be bent or broken. And that it is NOT totally covered by warranty if anything ever breaks or fails.
That's all. No big deal.

Thank you for your input.