PDA

View Full Version : New trailer protection

rtp1984
15-02-2019, 08:51 AM
Hi all

just got a new Tinker trailer to sit the Yalta on.

What at is the go with extra rust protection for a new gal trailer?
is it worth trying to coat in a tectyl style product or just trust the new gal and clean well?

any advice welcome.
Thanks

Dignity
15-02-2019, 09:19 AM
Tectyl or x troll worth doing although a very messy job. Get into the main bearers as this is where rust will start unseen.you will need a Schutz Gun to get any pent ration, usually you will have holes for wiring g etc along the bearers to allow you to do sections at a time. I replaced the rigid tubing with plastic tubing and on the end used a 360 degree 4mm garden sprinkler fitting. Do it all before putting the boat on. Dont forget the roller brackets as a lot are hollowed stems.

Edit. Have had some success using a degreasing gun but could only use about 750 of tubing whereas with the Schutz Gun I could get 1.5 m of tubing.

stevej
15-02-2019, 10:05 AM
the job of gal is to be sacrificial to protect the steel ,if the gal degrades its doing its job

some people use their boats in harsher environments then others depending on water types its ducked itn an dhow its stored at home
even some freshwater dams have high mineral content and can affect the steel and gal coating.

the issue is the gal doesnt always get up into the internal weld faces inside the crossmembers etc.
when ever i bought a new trailer i just plugged the holes bottom holes up and drilled a 5mm hole in the top of the cross member and up and filled them with fish oil,lanolin, oil what ever was laying around and was cheap

Giveitacrack
15-02-2019, 04:46 PM
Blow the channels out with a petrol or electric garden blower after washing and ensure it is always tilted. They will always rust out from the inside so if you can kill the condensation it will help slow down any internal corrosion.

Triple
15-02-2019, 04:57 PM
Air compressor with Degreaser gun and lanox once a year. Blast/blow in every crevice and hole.