PDA

View Full Version : Moving an outboard, not on boat.

gford001
01-02-2019, 09:10 AM
So. I am repowering.
Going to trade the old 2 stroke and need to get it from my house at mango hill to redland bay......
Original plan was to bolt it back on and take it on the boat, which also has to go.
But then remembered that i wont have tilt, as no batteries in. And most stuff pulled out.
Any ideas on how to move it?
Not a huge move, and budget stretching to breaking point as is.
If i was to hook it up to a battery. Could i then use the tilt on the side of the engine?
Can i manually tilt and block it up or something without damaging it?
Dont want to go to the hassle of putting it on. Only to pull it off again.......

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

gford001
01-02-2019, 09:19 AM
Hmm. Answered my own question. Just attached it to a battery and it worked.
Sweet.
Next issue, figuring out how to get it back to the transom without damage......
But i have a week plus to figure that out.
Getting the boat painted next week 118634

ericcs
01-02-2019, 09:24 AM
where abouts in redy bay does the boat have to go to get the new motor fitted?

Noelm
01-02-2019, 09:33 AM
Either get some helpers to lift it on, or hire an engine hoist, pretty easy to do then.

Fed
01-02-2019, 09:35 AM
Chuck it in your car.

gford001
01-02-2019, 09:50 AM
where abouts in redy bay does the boat have to go to get the new motor fitted?Not sure where.

gford001
01-02-2019, 09:51 AM
Either get some helpers to lift it on, or hire an engine hoist, pretty easy to do then.Yeah gonna look at a hoist. Had a mate helping get it off, near busted us.

Noelm
01-02-2019, 10:03 AM
You need more than one mate to lift it back on, but a hoist will be a breeze, you will need a concrete driveway to move the hoist around though.

ericcs
01-02-2019, 10:23 AM
Not sure where.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app (http://Ausfish mobile app)

i live down at Birkdale, and will be up your way next Wednesday after lunch. can throw it in the back of my ute if you want and drop it off for you, if it's close by!

gford001
01-02-2019, 12:10 PM
i live down at Birkdale, and will be up your way next Wednesday after lunch. can throw it in the back of my ute if you want and drop it off for you, if it's close by!Thanks for the offer. Will keep it in mind.
I reckon ill get a hoist and bolt it back on. Then tilt it.
Its on grass, might have to lift, then position the boat.
Think itll be a ballache......

Noelm
01-02-2019, 12:17 PM
Nah, be easy with a hoist, just make sure when you lift it via the lifting gizmo on the motor, that you support the skeg because when you start lifting it from the top, the skeg has a lot of weight sideways on it, not earth shattering, but just watch it.

gford001
01-02-2019, 07:04 PM
Nah, be easy with a hoist, just make sure when you lift it via the lifting gizmo on the motor, that you support the skeg because when you start lifting it from the top, the skeg has a lot of weight sideways on it, not earth shattering, but just watch it.Yeah will do.

gazza2006au
03-02-2019, 06:46 PM
G we lift a evinrude 140hp off a 17 foot bowrider i think it was 3 of us, we had tilted the trailer up at the front untill the skeg was touching the ground than unbolted it and laid it down it was incredibly top heavy like holding a 120kg ball on top of a pin

these days i have a car engine crane and a motorcycle trailer i just lay the engines down on the trailer than when i get home i roll the crane under the trailer hook the engine up and lift it up than roll the trailer out, i done this solo with a Johnson 225hp v six in around 20mins

when i bought the Etec home i didn't have a lift ring we just used a tie down for the boat to bridle around the engine mounts and lift it up like that the gearbox and leg weighed much more than the powerhead so the engine sat up kind of vertically

ericcs
05-02-2019, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the offer. Will keep it in mind.
I reckon ill get a hoist and bolt it back on. Then tilt it.
Its on grass, might have to lift, then position the boat.
Think itll be a ballache......

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app (http://Ausfish mobile app)

offer still stands for tomorrow!

gford001
05-02-2019, 01:24 PM
offer still stands for tomorrow!Haha thanks for the offer. Nothing will be ready for tomorrow, and im going to be helping the painter.
I'll sort something. Think easiest option will be to bolt it on and take with the boat. Boats gotta go anyway

gazza2006au
06-02-2019, 04:17 PM
I wish u luck taking that Suzuki off like i did the Evinrude mate u will need a few blokes to hold her up and if it tilts over on one bloke he will likely drop either the engine or his guts out his a... these old engines are very heavy high up so they will tent to want to tip over very easily

gford001
06-02-2019, 05:56 PM
I wish u luck taking that Suzuki off like i did the Evinrude mate u will need a few blokes to hold her up and if it tilts over on one bloke he will likely drop either the engine or his guts out his a... these old engines are very heavy high up so they will tent to want to tip over very easilyYeah took 2 of us.
Was harder then i thought.