PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic jocky wheel??

Crunchy
25-01-2019, 11:24 AM
Tired of winding manual jockey wheel up and down and wondering if anyone has installed a hydraulic jockey wheel on their boat trailer? I came across the "Trailer-a-mate" for caravans via google, looks like you have to weld a section onto the trailer for it to fit into, just wondering if anyone fitted one to a boat trailer or other options.

Cheers
C

scottar
25-01-2019, 12:07 PM
Alright as a temporary thing but wouldn't trust it for much the same reasons as a hydraulic jack if working around it.

gazza2006au
25-01-2019, 02:22 PM
How good would one of those be a hydraulic trailer mover one of those wheels u mentioned to lift the trailer but one u mechanically jack around to move it being hydraulic it could move a 3T boat piss easy possibly even up hills

Noelm
25-01-2019, 03:53 PM
The biggest problem with all those "power wheel"gizmos is traction, one small wheel, little weight on it and unless it's on concrete, you are going nowhere! but that aside, I can't see a hydraulic jockey being any better or worse than a decent wind up one, or any safer or more dangerous either, just the same thing, but different.

Fed
26-01-2019, 08:22 AM
I've always found the wind up ones very easy crunchy, you got a lot of towball weight or maybe the thread inside is rooted or needs greasing?
Weld a big nut on the top, stand back & hit it with the battery drill.:o

Tracker
26-01-2019, 09:26 AM
got sick of leaking seals on the hydro ones,changed to boss bloody fantastic. had one on o/r caravan for a few years now,no problems.
have a peek here..https://www.bos370.com.au

552Evo
26-01-2019, 07:10 PM
got sick of leaking seals on the hydro ones,changed to boss bloody fantastic. had one on o/r caravan for a few years now,no problems.
have a peek here..https://www.bos370.com.au

They look good. Is your van dual or single axle ?
I'm interested which model would suit a dual axle trailer.

There's no way any mechanical or electric or whatever drive system will work in my situation. I've got about a 10 meter side parking spot for my 7.5 meter (boat/motor/trailer).
There's no direct drive in access so I've got to reverse it in on as best angle I can then uncouple it from my car and manually push it in the rest of the way. Sort of back and forth building on the angle until I can get the boat parallel with the side fence.
With my dual axle trailer ( like most I guess ) they don't like to be rotated on it's centre axle point - the tyres sidewalks twist against each other.
So in short - I do a lot of back and forth and twisting with the jockey wheel, so I'd be after a hard wearing jockey wheel. I guess the red one is a poly material ? And could wear less than regular black rubber ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scottar
26-01-2019, 07:45 PM
They look good. Is your van dual or single axle ?
I'm interested which model would suit a dual axle trailer.

There's no way any mechanical or electric or whatever drive system will work in my situation. I've got about a 10 meter side parking spot for my 7.5 meter (boat/motor/trailer).
There's no direct drive in access so I've got to reverse it in on as best angle I can then uncouple it from my car and manually push it in the rest of the way. Sort of back and forth building on the angle until I can get the boat parallel with the side fence.
With my dual axle trailer ( like most I guess ) they don't like to be rotated on it's centre axle point - the tyres sidewalks twist against each other.
So in short - I do a lot of back and forth and twisting with the jockey wheel, so I'd be after a hard wearing jockey wheel. I guess the red one is a poly material ? And could wear less than regular black rubber ?

Might be worth a try with a set of positioning jacks if it's a shitfight Evo if the ground is flat and smooth. We used to use them on the Trymax Senator 6.8 to push it sideways into position.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca-sca-vehicle-positioning-hydraulic-jack-30cm---680kg/128776.html?cgid=SCA01050503#sz=12&start=27

552Evo
26-01-2019, 08:34 PM
Thanks Scottar, I've thought about them. So they work ok ?
Might be a silly question but do you just put one on each side of one of the axles ?
Yes the surface is fairly flat, fine sort of pebble mix surface.

scottar
26-01-2019, 10:24 PM
Thanks Scottar, I've thought about them. So they work ok ?
Might be a silly question but do you just put one on each side of one of the axles ?
Yes the surface is fairly flat, fine sort of pebble mix surface.

Dual axle you would need 4. The wheels on them are fairly small - they may be a pain on pebblecrete. On a flat concrete floor though they are great.

Cox76y
27-01-2019, 09:20 PM
Ive had a trailer mate for about 6 years and it has not missed a beat. Apart from it rusting I am very happy with it.

Volvo
28-01-2019, 08:08 PM
XX For the trailermate n just use the wheel instead of the plate. Just great they are if your prepared to fork out the $$$ for one but wont regret.